Tom Humphries

Started by bottlethrower7, January 29, 2007, 09:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

There's an interview with Walsh coming up on Matt Coopers show on Today FM where he explains why he gave the character reference if anyone wants to hear his explanation. Apparently it was recorded some time back but never broadcast.

Boycey

easytiger95

Good God.

I know this interview was from 2012, but Jesus Christ.

easytiger95

Walsh has a huge blind spot here.

yellowcard

Monumental error of judgement from Walsh in this case. He appears to have had a blind spot for Humphries and never even countenanced the fact that he could well have been guilty. His description of him as a great man is woeful.

Declan

magpie seanie

Asal Mor

I thought it was admirably brave on Walsh's part. He'll win no friends for it and is risking a lot with his stance. Would have been the easiest thing in the world to turn his back on Humphries. It's hard to see any reason why you'd want to defend him but it took some balls.

Syferus

Quote from: Asal Mor on October 09, 2017, 10:24:01 PM
I thought it was admirably brave on Walsh's part. He'll win no friends for it and is risking a lot with his stance. Would have been the easiest thing in the world to turn his back on Humphries. It's hard to see any reason why you'd want to defend him but it took some balls.

Refusing to adjust your outlook based on new information is exactly the opposite of guts. There is no way you or anyone else can colour what both men did as brave in this context.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Syferus on October 09, 2017, 10:45:31 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on October 09, 2017, 10:24:01 PM

Refusing to adjust your outlook based on new information is exactly the opposite of guts. There is no way you or anyone else can colour what both men did as brave in this context.
Both men? Don't know where you're getting "both men" from.

easytiger95

I worked with Tom Humphries, casually on and off, for about four years in the early 2000s. He always came across as polite, quiet, self deprecating, and at times could be very, very funny.

When I heard the rumours, and then his name came out, I was able to deal with the fact that the person who I thought of as all of the above, was also capable of doing absolutely horrible things. And one does not cancel out the other. At the end of the day, we are judged before the law for our actions - Humphries' actions were vile, cruel and incredibly damaging to the young girls involved, who will serve their own life sentences, through no fault of their own.

Walsh's defence of him in 2012 smacks of a man being deceived, both by his friend Humphries, and by himself. To continue that defence by providing a character reference which could materially affect the sentence he receives, is inexcusable. He could stand by his friend, by visiting him, by trying to help with his family, by encouraging him to receive treatment, in any number of ways that could be conceived as compassionate and measured.

Going on record in a court, despite all the evidence presented of the incredible damage wrought by Humphries, looks like egotism at its worst. If Walsh thinks you're ok, you're ok and that is all that matters. As Chris Froome can attest.

Humphries' is not the only great journalistic reputation that will go up in flames as a result of this affair.

Croí na hÉireann

If a friend of mine for 30 years did something like this, hid it from me and came looking for a character reference I wouldn't be long in telling him where to go. The bravery shown by his family in reporting him is immeasurable. Thanks to them that poor girl was saved from this monster and hopefully her and her family have got their lives back on track. Walsh and Cusack will be rightfully hammered for their references, pair of idiots.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

HiMucker

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 10, 2017, 10:43:50 AM
If a friend of mine for 30 years did something like this, hid it from me and came looking for a character reference I wouldn't be long in telling him where to go. The bravery shown by his family in reporting him is immeasurable. Thanks to them that poor girl was saved from this monster and hopefully her and her family have got their lives back on track. Walsh and Cusack will be rightfully hammered for their references, pair of idiots.
This would rightly sum up my own feelings on it.  Terrible judgement call by them, Walsh in particular from what I have read.  They deserve criticism for it.  However it doesn't sit well with me the level of vitriol and vilification that has been directed at them, for what is in essence, the carrying out of an act requested by the state.  Some mentioned this earlier, what Walsh looks like a man that has been conned.  No shame in that.  That is exactly what perpetrators like Humphries do.  Betray everyone.  This nonsense of character references should be done away with especially in cases like this.  Any legal experts on here that can shine light on the merit of this practice?

magpie seanie

Quote from: HiMucker on October 10, 2017, 11:43:46 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 10, 2017, 10:43:50 AM
This would rightly sum up my own feelings on it.  Terrible judgement call by them, Walsh in particular from what I have read.  They deserve criticism for it.  However it doesn't sit well with me the level of vitriol and vilification that has been directed at them, for what is in essence, the carrying out of an act requested by the state.  Some mentioned this earlier, what Walsh looks like a man that has been conned.  No shame in that.  That is exactly what perpetrators like Humphries do.  Betray everyone.  This nonsense of character references should be done away with especially in cases like this.  Any legal experts on here that can shine light on the merit of this practice?

He was on the radio yesterday FFS. I assume he can read the court transcripts. If he was conned in 2012 then fair enough but he's still saying Humphries is a "great man".

Brave - that word again. As mentioned above, Humphries family were brave in what they did.

Easytiger - superb post.