Tom Humphries

Started by bottlethrower7, January 29, 2007, 09:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: seafoid on October 05, 2017, 01:53:28 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 26, 2017, 12:30:42 PM
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/prominent-journalist-and-author-tom-humphries-to-be-sentenced-over-sex-offences-involving-underage-girl-35866057.html
The most striking thing about that court apearance was that he asked to be taken into custody. Sex offender is the absolute lowest of the low in our society. Even scumbags look down on sex offenders. He probably wouldn't be safe.

much as it would offend the  vigilantes  on this and other site there are various kinda of Paedos there the serial agressive kind Like some one like a priest teacher social worker who seem to choose theor jobs and dedicate their lives to it the opportunistic kid like rolf harris or jimmy saville that abuse thier famous status and the kind like i suspect humphries is one who allows himself to form illegally inappropriate relationship with an underage girl .
insome way it makes him almost more Guilty as there seems to be  an element of choice in it where as the aforementioned it seems to be the driving force of the life almost unstoppable as CL Louis said
'It's so crazy because when you consider the risk in being a child molester - speaking not of even the damage you're doing, but the risk - there's no worse life available to a human than being a caught child molester.' "Yet they still do it. Which you can only really surmise that it must be really good, from their point of view. It must be amazing for them to risk so much."
i dont think this is the categorey Humphries fits into
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

trileacman

There's a strange and unsettling fascination in modern society with paedophiles. "cut off their balls/cut off their head/burn them alive" etc etc. The indignation offered a lot of the time doesn't seem that real, like someone standing up and saying "look at me, look at how apoplectic I am at the bad thing."

I'm disgusted by pedophiles surely but I can't say it greatly enrages much more than acts of murder or rape. It's really odd that people now think they're the moral arbitrator of justice when it comes to this and vigilantism is somehow justified when directed solely against pedophiles.

It sort of puts me in mind of the death sentence, in the manner that to be wrongly sentenced to death or life imprisonment must be a terrible injustice but to be wrongly branded a paedophile must be worse again.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

seafoid

Quote from: trileacman on October 06, 2017, 01:06:18 AM
There's a strange and unsettling fascination in modern society with paedophiles. "cut off their balls/cut off their head/burn them alive" etc etc. The indignation offered a lot of the time doesn't seem that real, like someone standing up and saying "look at me, look at how apoplectic I am at the bad thing."

I'm disgusted by pedophiles surely but I can't say it greatly enrages much more than acts of murder or rape. It's really odd that people now think they're the moral arbitrator of justice when it comes to this and vigilantism is somehow justified when directed solely against pedophiles.

It sort of puts me in mind of the death sentence, in the manner that to be wrongly sentenced to death or life imprisonment must be a terrible injustice but to be wrongly branded a paedophile must be worse again.
I agree. But societies are strange.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on October 06, 2017, 01:38:53 AM

Many of us are parents and many know the innocence of a child and how vulnerable they are to manipulation by adults. When that manipulation is from vile sickos who would destroy a child life before it has started well people are right to be outraged. Personally I'd be ok with putting these evil scumbags through a mincing machine.

befair

Quote from: Itchy on October 06, 2017, 06:47:53 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 06, 2017, 01:38:53 AM

Many of us are parents and many know the innocence of a child and how vulnerable they are to manipulation by adults. When that manipulation is from vile sickos who would destroy a child life before it has started well people are right to be outraged. Personally I'd be ok with putting these evil scumbags through a mincing machine.

The most likely perpetrators are members of the victims's family

Dinny Breen

I would never condone vigilantism, a lot of paedophile's need genuine help. With this case I am coming from the perspective of a coach and a father, Humphries has taken that young girls childhood and destroyed it, one of my values as a coach is to gain the trust of my players and not just make them better athletes but better people. Humphries in what he did is the antithesis of that value. To see David Walsh and even more sickeningly Donal Óg Cusack try to influence sentencing is disgusting. I hope he never sees the outside of a prison again.
#newbridgeornowhere

Declan

Quoteone of my values as a coach is to gain the trust of my players and not just make them better athletes but better people. Humphries in what he did is the antithesis of that value
+1

AZOffaly

Exactly Dinny. What the f**k is Donal Óg at?

magpie seanie

Couldn't agree more, very well put. I cannot understand Walsh and Cusack.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Declan on October 09, 2017, 11:38:34 AM
Quoteone of my values as a coach is to gain the trust of my players and not just make them better athletes but better people. Humphries in what he did is the antithesis of that value
+1
+2
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

armaghniac

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 09, 2017, 11:42:43 AM

I disagree and not because I knew Humphries 30 years ago when we were both students. I don't think that this type of reference should have any great influence on the case, but that is up to the judge. If someone Humphries says to Walsh, please give an account of your opinion of my professional work then that is what Walsh should do. It should not imply that Walsh condones in any way the exploitation of the teenage girl.  It should then be up to the judge what he makes of that information, which is probably should be that it isn't very relevant. I'm sure that Walsh or Cusack had no direct connection with these events, they should simply provide witness in an accurate way, they should not provide different or no information based on their own view on the case.

The case is very definitely an antithesis of the proper role of a coach, and while there is a great emphasis on the sexual aspect of it a coach who encouraged young charges to take up drinking or gambling would be equally at fault.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

magpie seanie

Quote from: armaghniac on October 09, 2017, 12:02:05 PM

I disagree and not because I knew Humphries 30 years ago when we were both students. I don't think that this type of reference should have any great influence on the case, but that is up to the judge. If someone Humphries says to Walsh, please give an account of your opinion of my professional work then that is what Walsh should do. It should not imply that Walsh condones in any way the exploitation of the teenage girl.  It should then be up to the judge what he makes of that information, which is probably should be that it isn't very relevant. I'm sure that Walsh or Cusack had no direct connection with these events, they should simply provide witness in an accurate way, they should not provide different or no information based on their own view on the case.

The case is very definitely an antithesis of the proper role of a coach, and while there is a great emphasis on the sexual aspect of it a coach who encouraged young charges to take up drinking or gambling would be equally at fault.

What has his professional work got to do with this? I'm sorry but I don't agree with what you're saying. I wouldn't want to be part of a scheme to get this paedophile a reduced jail term but obviously that's not a problem for Walsh and Cusack and I say shame on them for that. I think it's disgraceful.

Your comparison at the end seems weird to me. Almost like some sort of justification??? Bring forward the cases of coaches encouraging children to gamble and drink alcohol and we'll discuss them on their merits. Frankly, anything that comes across as a justification of defence of this paedophile makes me ill.

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 09, 2017, 11:29:02 AM

I would never condone vigilantism, a lot of paedophile's need genuine help. With this case I am coming from the perspective of a coach and a father, Humphries has taken that young girls childhood and destroyed it, one of my values as a coach is to gain the trust of my players and not just make them better athletes but better people. Humphries in what he did is the antithesis of that value. To see David Walsh and even more sickeningly Donal Óg Cusack try to influence sentencing is disgusting. I hope he never sees the outside of a prison again.
I think he deserves to be imprisoned but that he should also have the possibility of redemption after he has served his time. The emotions around this case are toxic. You can imagine what the 2 families are going through. His kids must be suffering as well.
And he had some problem that led to this meltdown,  most likely. You don't bombard a teenager with thousands of messages on a whim.
He reminds me of Weiner in NY  . Weiner didnt go as far but he was also very successful and lost it all.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

galwayman

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 09, 2017, 12:48:39 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 09, 2017, 12:02:05 PM

What has his professional work got to do with this? I'm sorry but I don't agree with what you're saying. I wouldn't want to be part of a scheme to get this paedophile a reduced jail term but obviously that's not a problem for Walsh and Cusack and I say shame on them for that. I think it's disgraceful.

Your comparison at the end seems weird to me. Almost like some sort of justification??? Bring forward the cases of coaches encouraging children to gamble and drink alcohol and we'll discuss them on their merits. Frankly, anything that comes across as a justification of defence of this paedophile makes me ill.
Why a character reference for somebody accused of offences such as this would make any difference at all is the thing I don't get.
Why would they even be accepted by the court.
Completely irrelevant imo.

bennydorano

I agree they are irrelevant. It's also a brave enough thing for Walsh & Cusack to do as they're hardly going to get many plaudits for doing it.