The Official EFL Championship

Started by lurganblue, August 28, 2018, 03:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: lurganblue on May 05, 2019, 08:35:26 PM
Playoffs now set then. Leeds West Brom Villa and Derby. Anyone's guess.

Good. Never warmed to M'boro for some reason.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 05, 2019, 10:44:37 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on May 05, 2019, 08:35:26 PM
Playoffs now set then. Leeds West Brom Villa and Derby. Anyone's guess.

Good. Never warmed to M'boro for some reason.

I like to see Darren Randolph in the premiership!

lurganblue

1st leg done and it looks like it's a big advantage to Leeds! Really can't see them being beaten at home.

The Villa game is still in the balance.

ziggy90

Huge advantage to the Vile LB. Gayle is a massive loss to the Veggies.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: ziggy90 on May 13, 2019, 07:22:35 AM
Huge advantage to the Vile LB. Gayle is a massive loss to the Veggies.

predictive text on the phone i assume ;D
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

ziggy90

:D
It was HF but it's kind of apt too.

Farrandeelin

Dunno why, but I'd like to see Villa get promoted again.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Over the Bar

Entertaining peno shoot-out by West Brom and Villa.  Villa just shaded it but should have won the game playing against 10 men for 45 mins!

lurganblue

Yeah really played below par this evening and should be finishing that game off before pens. Brunt should have went twice before he did. That performance wouldn't be good enough for villa in the final but it's great to still be in it.

ziggy90

WBA got their tactics dead on last night but their captain let his teammates down (he should've been substituted).
Too many of that Vile team thought the tie was over after the first leg and were extremely lucky to come through it..
The penalty shoot-out although agonising for the fans makes for great drama

Hound

First championship game of the season I've watched. The playoffs are great fun. Didn't really care who won, but probably ended up more cheering on Villa because of Hourihane. He played reasonably well and took a fine pen. I found Tammy Abraham very unlikeable, though not sure why!

I thought Grealish really stood out. It was like going to a club game and being able to easily pick out the intercounty player.

If I was a West Brom fan I would have been really annoyed at Holgate. After being under the cosh for a long period of the second half, but defending for their lives, as the game heads into injury time (90 mins) they get a free kick in a decent area. All their big men go forward, and they've a genuine chance to snatch the game (probably better in the air than Villa and already scored a header).

Holgate's attempted cross is ballooned over everyone and into the crowd. Camera pans back to Holgate and he's laughing as his jogs back to his full back position!
Maybe I'm hyper critical, but I wasn't sorry to see him miss his pen!

ziggy90

I thought McGinn was Vile's standout player. Hourihane, Grealish, Abraham and Adomah were very poor (by their standards) last night. I'd forgotten about that Holgate free-kick, I'd say he he won't be let forget that for a while.
Brunt would've taken it if his stupidity hadn't seen him sent off.

lurganblue

I'd agree that McGinn was probably Villa's best player last night.  I can certainly understand why anyone watching Villa for the first time this season would say that Grealish stood out though. He has a very classy style of play. He beats players with ease and dictates play from many different areas of the pitch.  In saying that though I though by his standards be was probably slightly below par.  Credit to West Brom.  They were very hard to break down.  I expect a completely different type of game in the final whoever makes it with Villa.  It will be a lot more open and I am hoping the likes of Grealish gets a little more freedom to operate.

Tonight's game looks like it should be Leeds all over, even with there absences. If Derby do manage to get the first goal though it will certainly be a big test of character.

shark

Villa were poor over both games, when compared to their March and April form. However, a lot of that was due to West Brom's setup, which was perfect from a defensive perspective.
Decisions for Smith ahead of the final. Hourihane or Whelan? Adomah, Green or Kodjia? The second decision doesn't seem to have any good option right now.

ziggy90

Pick a winner now? Proper cup football.