Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 01, 2019, 07:25:52 PM
Angelo. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about in 11 years in the profession I met one person who got into teaching for the holidays. She lasted 2 years.
Plenty of teachers 'suck it up' and get in with it.
Ah Jesus Tonto. I find that hard to believe. I made a comment earlier about the same thing. Albeit they would all be mid 30s or younger but nearly all them said they took up teaching because of the holidays. I don't share most of Angelos views. But I do agree with him on that point, and it is an issue.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: screenexile on May 01, 2019, 09:09:12 PM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on May 01, 2019, 08:59:50 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 01, 2019, 08:20:21 PM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on May 01, 2019, 08:04:27 PM
Quote from: Angelo on May 01, 2019, 07:57:45 PM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on May 01, 2019, 07:46:40 PM
Quote from: Angelo on May 01, 2019, 07:42:15 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 01, 2019, 07:25:52 PM
Angelo. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about in 11 years in the profession I met one person who got into teaching for the holidays. She lasted 2 years.
Plenty of teachers 'suck it up' and get in with it.

How do you know that?

Teachers are all well versed in playing the poor mouth and acting like victims so they are hardly going to disclose it to all and sundry. The truth lies in the very low drop out rates in teaching, they "suck it up" and get on with it because when you benchmark it with other jobs across a whole variety of sectors they do extremely well out of it with the paid holidays being the cherry on top.

I just cant get your line of thought...

Qualified teacher = teaching for life....

Teacher decides to 'drop' out of teaching= fcuk it I'll be a rocket scientist instead?

Maybe downgrade to packing shelves in a supermarket.....but really?

Why can't you get your line of thought?

Teaching is for life in the same way that summers off are for life.

If teaching is the hell their cheerleaders on here are claiming and if it is as badly rewarded and poorly supported as their cheerleaders claim then why would anyone stay there teaching? Something doesn't add up with the poor mouthing, victim mentality of teachers and the low dropout rate in comparison with other professions. Did you ever hear of the boy who cried wolf?

Sorry don't get your point here...

I understand my line of thought ok...

If a teacher decides not to be a teacher any more what's the alternative?

A career in modelling? Astronaut? Building Contractor?

And again I'm not a teacher...
Your thread is either incorrect or facetious. It is entirely possible to leave teaching and make a successful career elsewhere. I'd presume those with a PGCE and a primary Arts or Science degree would be marginally more employable than those through a BEd course but I'd say there would be some options. We have had trained teachers come through our place although not sure they were any use  ;)

Leave a teaching career and do what?

Without any other qualification than a teaching degree?

Examples please?

Van driver perhaps?

What careers do people have without any kind of degree at all?? Ridiculous question!!

Me?

A teaching degree limits you to teaching.

A generic degree plus a PCGE might keep doors opened.

Yeah?

screenexile

A teaching degree limits nothing... lots of people without any kind of degree change careers all the time!!

I know 2 early retirees one who runs a shop and the other who buys and sells fitness equipment ... it's not impossible!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on May 01, 2019, 09:48:51 PM
A teaching degree limits nothing... lots of people without any kind of degree change careers all the time!!

Never had a degree, few qualifications after I left school at 16, but managed two complete changes of career in life which allowed me more than double my teaching wife's wages  ;D

Looking at my kids studying their asses off at the minute. God help them
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

trailer

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 01, 2019, 09:01:25 PM
Quote from: Angelo on May 01, 2019, 06:44:54 PM
Not many other industries will pay you to take the summer off and Easter and Christmas etc. Most people get into teaching for the paid summer holidays and I think that is wrong.

Just the usual lazy, trite arguments from someone with no idea. Do you even have a job?

By law every employer in UK must provide their employee with 5.6 weeks or 28 days of paid holidays per year. So, your first statement is completely wrong.

So, teachers are paid for 195 days and receive 28 days of paid holidays like every other worker in UK, so 223 days per year.

With 52 weeks per year, 260 working days per year. So, teachers are not paid for 260 - 223 = 37 days per year

Teachers receive their pay like virtually every other salaried worker as 12 equal monthly payments to lower the employers monthly outlay rather than just according to the days works per month and the 28 paid holidays.

So, again you are completely wrong about paid holidays.  Teachers have 37 days per year for which they are not paid. Do not confuse spreading salary payments across the year with being paid for these unpaid days.

This makes no sense. God help your students. You have no understanding of business.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on May 01, 2019, 09:56:44 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2019, 09:54:49 PM

Never had a degree, few qualifications after I left school at 16, but managed two complete changes of career in life which allowed me more than double my teaching wife's wages  ;D

Looking at my kids studying their asses off at the minute. God help them
Reffing?
;D

Forgot about that, I just put that into the savings  :P
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

STREET FIGHTER

I know 2 early retirees one who runs a shop and the other who buys and sells fitness equipment ... it's not impossible!

Lolol 2 retirees who set up a shop or starting selling treadmills from money made by teaching or a fortunate windfall...

What are the university entry grades for that?

My posts relate to qualifications..

If you qualify as a teacher....generally for the rest of you life your a teacher...

If you have a degree plus a PCGE it seems like the world may be your oyster!

Someone please tell the teachers to follow this path rather than a dedicated degree to teaching....quick.....just in case they want to leave the teaching profession 🤣🤣🤣

screenexile

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on May 01, 2019, 10:17:43 PM

Lolol 2 retirees who set up a shop or starting selling treadmills from money made by teaching or a fortunate windfall...

What are the university entry grades for that?

My posts relate to qualifications..

If you qualify as a teacher....generally for the rest of you life your a teacher...

If you have a degree plus a PCGE it seems like the world may be your oyster!

Someone please tell the teachers to follow this path rather than a dedicated degree to teaching....quick.....just in case they want to leave the teaching profession 🤣🤣🤣

I'm not quite sure what your point is... you asked me to give examples of teachers having other careers and I've given you them.

You still then go on to say that because you are a teacher that means you're not able to do anything else because teaching is lol you're qualified in when this is patently not true.

Loads and loads of companies would recognise the transferable skills gained through teaching and having a teaching degree would demonstrate that you have some intelligence (although I'm starting to doubt that).

For example teachers who can't get a permanent job and want to look at other options there are apprenticeships for trades/telemarketing/administration/sales/retail and a number of other avenues open to them!!

If you're qualified as a teacher and want to stay one work away that's your prerogative but to say there aren't other options for employment just because you have a teaching degree is just not true!!!

Tony Baloney

We have had qualified teachers in our place work in the training department (relatively natural fit), project management, business development.

delgany

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 01, 2019, 03:42:49 PM
Quote from: delgany on April 30, 2019, 09:51:14 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 30, 2019, 09:14:58 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 30, 2019, 07:08:28 PM
Teachers' pay is an absolute joke and they pay rise they're being offered is useless. I'm a Civil Servant and earn over £10K more than my wife who's a teacher. I'd say half the staff in Tesco get paid more

Really! NICS pay must be great.

Here are the teacher pay scales for teachers who have not been awarded a promotion. Any teacher can progress up through this scale over 9 years, just look at the annual increments.

Currently Tesco workers are paid £7.62 an hour, which will rise to £8.42 an hour by November 2018. The pay rise will put Tesco workers' pay above the £7.90 level that the National Living Wage is expected to reach by 2018. (23 Jun 2017)

I think teachers need to realise how fortunate they really are compared to the average in N.Ireland. In 2017, average weekly wages in Northern Ireland was £501, up 1.5 per cent from £494 in 2016. Annual salaries in the north, at £25,999, are still lower than the UK average of £28,758.

It takes 12 years to get to top of pay scale
M1 to M6   takes 6 years
UPS 1 TO 3  takes 6 years  - two years per point !

Paid M1 on starting
Paid M2 after 1 year
Paid M3 after 2 years
Paid M4 after 3 years
Paid M5 after 4 years
Paid M6 after 5 years
Paid UPS1 after 6 years
Paid UPS1 after 7 years
Paid UPS2 after 8 years
Paid UPS2 after 9 years
Paid UPS3 after 10 years

12 years, are you a teacher?

Teachers pay increments are based on  the school academic year  and not the calendar year ... ...so yes it  takes 12 years to get to the top of pay grades...it isn't hard to work that out ... problem solving strategies !

Angelo

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 01, 2019, 09:01:25 PM
Quote from: Angelo on May 01, 2019, 06:44:54 PM
Not many other industries will pay you to take the summer off and Easter and Christmas etc. Most people get into teaching for the paid summer holidays and I think that is wrong.

Just the usual lazy, trite arguments from someone with no idea. Do you even have a job?

By law every employer in UK must provide their employee with 5.6 weeks or 28 days of paid holidays per year. So, your first statement is completely wrong.

So, teachers are paid for 195 days and receive 28 days of paid holidays like every other worker in UK, so 223 days per year.

With 52 weeks per year, 260 working days per year. So, teachers are not paid for 260 - 223 = 37 days per year

Teachers receive their pay like virtually every other salaried worker as 12 equal monthly payments to lower the employers monthly outlay rather than just according to the days works per month and the 28 paid holidays.

So, again you are completely wrong about paid holidays.  Teachers have 37 days per year for which they are not paid. Do not confuse spreading salary payments across the year with being paid for these unpaid days.

Yes the old nugget teachers like to churn out.

If you want to play silly buggers with the level of leave teachers get then you can't be disingenuous with the salary they get as well.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: delgany on May 01, 2019, 11:08:21 PM
Teachers' pay is an absolute joke and they pay rise they're being offered is useless. I'm a Civil Servant and earn over £10K more than my wife who's a teacher. I'd say half the staff in Tesco get paid more

Here are the teacher pay scales for teachers who have not been awarded a promotion. Any teacher can progress up through this scale over 9 years, just look at the annual increments.

Currently Tesco workers are paid £7.62 an hour, which will rise to £8.42 an hour by November 2018. The pay rise will put Tesco workers' pay above the £7.90 level that the National Living Wage is expected to reach by 2018. (23 Jun 2017)

I think teachers need to realise how fortunate they really are compared to the average in N.Ireland. In 2017, average weekly wages in Northern Ireland was £501, up 1.5 per cent from £494 in 2016. Annual salaries in the north, at £25,999, are still lower than the UK average of £28,758.

M1 to M6   takes 6 years

Paid M1 on starting
Paid M2 after 1 year
Paid M3 after 2 years
Paid M4 after 3 years
Paid M5 after 4 years
Paid M6 after 5 years
Paid UPS1 after 6 years
Paid UPS1 after 7 years
Paid UPS2 after 8 years
Paid UPS2 after 9 years
Paid UPS3 after 10 years

Teachers pay increments are based on  the school academic year  and not the calendar year ... ...so yes it  takes 12 years to get to the top of pay grades...it isn't hard to work that out ... problem solving strategies !

Yet more utterly misleading information, 10 years is the period of time.

Why are teachers so liberal with the truth when it comes to presenting the nature of their "plight" in a positive light?

It's the same with the way they twist their leave entitlement for the 9 months they work.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

delgany

Quote from: Angelo on May 01, 2019, 11:12:55 PM
Quote from: delgany on May 01, 2019, 11:08:21 PM

M1 to M6   takes 6 years

Paid M1 on starting
Paid M2 after 1 year
Paid M3 after 2 years
Paid M4 after 3 years
Paid M5 after 4 years
Paid M6 after 5 years
Paid UPS1 after 6 years
Paid UPS1 after 7 years
Paid UPS2 after 8 years
Paid UPS2 after 9 years
Paid UPS3 after 10 years

Yet more utterly misleading information, 10 years is the period of time.

Why are teachers so liberal with the truth when it comes to presenting the nature of their "plight" in a positive light?

It's the same with the way they twist their salary for the 9 months they work.

Look you clown
It is only in year 13 that you will  be actually paid at UPS 3 pay rate ...not in the first year that you are working towards that increment . That is simple the facts of the matter.

I dont feel plight in any way .

I just pity arse holes who think they know something about education

As  said    Did you not receive an education yourself  because you seem a right  dick.

delgany

Fact :  in North teachers get 66 paid holiday days.
Teachers in South get  about 80 !
Its an enjoyable perk of the job alongside an odd pen and a pity of free copying for the Gaelic club !