Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 23, 2011, 05:55:47 PM
Quote from: tyrone girl on February 23, 2011, 11:25:02 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 22, 2011, 11:02:00 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 22, 2011, 10:41:50 PM
No, why would it?

Because if you want to work in certain fields then you need a degree, and it's becoming a more common requirement than it used to be. Our company doesn't hire anyone without a degree and I certainly wouldn't want to work with someone that doesn't have one.

That comment makes u sound like a p***k. I have a degree so am i qualified enough to tell u that  ::) ::) ::)

No, it makes me sound like I want to work with people that are qualified to be here and not have to babysit anyone. I've had to hire people at this place before and I can tell you that anyone who sends in a CV that says they don't have a degree usually gets dismissed out of hand unless they have some other major selling point, but it had better be good. This company has tried hiring under qualified people before and it's been a disaster. Ask someone to do a half hour job and it takes him three days to figure it out. F*ck that sh|t, we've got work to do.

Hmmmm you've obviously a high opinion of yourself and the importance of your job ::)

Eamonnca1

No, I have a high opinion of doing the thing right. Is that okay with you?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 23, 2011, 06:39:55 PM
No, I have a high opinion of doing the thing right. Is that okay with you?

It's hardly that hard to flip a few burgers is it?
Only thing that might be easier is being a Teacher...
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Puckoon

Eammon - you seem to post rationally on most of what you contribute to - but you're digging yourself an unmerciful hole here.

Fact is that undergraduate degrees (and some post graduate degrees) no longer carry the weight of old. It's a measuring stick, yes - depending on the skills and knowledge required for the job.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: thebigfella on February 23, 2011, 06:16:30 PM
No, why would it?

Because if you want to work in certain fields then you need a degree, and it's becoming a more common requirement than it used to be. Our company doesn't hire anyone without a degree and I certainly wouldn't want to work with someone that doesn't have one.

That comment makes u sound like a p***k. I have a degree so am i qualified enough to tell u that  ::) ::) ::)

No, it makes me sound like I want to work with people that are qualified to be here and not have to babysit anyone. I've had to hire people at this place before and I can tell you that anyone who sends in a CV that says they don't have a degree usually gets dismissed out of hand unless they have some other major selling point, but it had better be good. This company has tried hiring under qualified people before and it's been a disaster. Ask someone to do a half hour job and it takes him three days to figure it out. F*ck that sh|t, we've got work to do.

Hmmmm you've obviously a high opinion of yourself and the importance of your job ::)
I'm calling wum, no one could be that big of a p***k. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

JimStynes

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 23, 2011, 07:29:21 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on February 23, 2011, 06:16:30 PM
No, why would it?

I'm calling wum, no one could be that big of a p***k.

O'Neill has to be in on this.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Puckoon on February 23, 2011, 07:13:00 PM
Eammon - you seem to post rationally on most of what you contribute to - but you're digging yourself an unmerciful hole here.

Fact is that undergraduate degrees (and some post graduate degrees) no longer carry the weight of old. It's a measuring stick, yes - depending on the skills and knowledge required for the job.

Right. So if you have a degree then you have more options open to you. So how well you do in school has some bearing on whether you get a degree. How good your teacher is has a big impact on how well you do in school. Hence, teaching is important, and as already explained it's not the cakewalk people are making it out to be.

Sorry if it's not a popular view, but there it is.

One concession I'll make though, it can be very hard to get an incompetent teacher removed. Unions have a lot to answer for there. I'll give you that.

andoireabu

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 23, 2011, 09:04:19 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on February 23, 2011, 07:13:00 PM

Right. So if you have a degree then you have more options open to you. So how well you do in school has some bearing on whether you get a degree. How good your teacher is has a big impact on how well you do in school. Hence, teaching is important, and as already explained it's not the cakewalk people are making it out to be.

Sorry if it's not a popular view, but there it is.

One concession I'll make though, it can be very hard to get an incompetent teacher removed. Unions have a lot to answer for there. I'll give you that.
Not necessarily chap.  I have one and it has been shite all use to me so far. Fair enough there is no sell by date on it but it doesn't guarentee you squat.  I'd say I'm not the only one in the position of having graduated and not got a job in the area they want or thought they would be in.  Though I'm luckier than those that have no job at all.

Three teachers in my family and only one seems to get it handy.  The sister always seems to be planning or marking and has a shed load of books to cart around.  She said that her class had 7 different English books between exercise and reading books.  And this is a primary school class.  How does any child under 11 need 7 books for 1 subject?
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: andoireabu on February 23, 2011, 09:25:17 PM
I have one and it has been shite all use to me so far.

Mine was plenty of use to me, even though I ended up working in a different field from what my degree was in. Landed me a job in California eventually. The company helped me to relocate and sorted out my visa for me. None of this would have happened if I didn't have a degree. Fact.

I know some people who got degrees and couldn't do much with them, but that's down to where they live. If you live in a decent sized city then there's plenty more options open to you.

Big Puff

How can you do one year postgrad and become a teacher? surely that isnt right when you consider the length of training associated with other professions?

Milltown Row2

Because your degree took three years and one year to learn to be a teacher makes that 4 years!! plenty.  Question, who makes better teachers? Ones who do the post grad or the ones who go to training school?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Big Puff

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 23, 2011, 09:57:28 PM
Because your degree took three years and one year to learn to be a teacher makes that 4 years!! plenty.  Question, who makes better teachers? Ones who do the post grad or the ones who go to training school?

Degree isnt in teaching, however.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Big Puff on February 23, 2011, 09:59:23 PM

Do Bachelors degrees only take 3 years in the north?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 23, 2011, 10:04:16 PM
Quote from: Big Puff on February 23, 2011, 09:59:23 PM

Do Bachelors degrees only take 3 years in the north?

Yes AZ, the standard degree in the North would be 3 years.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Puckoon

Depends where you go AZ. Many (most) of the universtiy courses at UU have an industrial diploma built in to the time frame - generally one years work placement in a relevant field between the 2 and final years.

Eammon - degrees are not stand alone pathways to more options - if anything, many of them pigeon hole you in the aspects of the field in which the degree is from. A degree and successful pathway to California are not inextricably linked. Your degree and your success are - but this is not the case for every degree. A lot more than the letters after your name got you there - and anyone can have those same attributes (hard work, cop on, desire) without having the degree.  If you wish to be an engineer, a vet, accountant etc - degrees are essential. If you just wish to be successful in life and work - not having a degree doesnt close doors to you. It might close the accountancy door (just as an example) -but not all.

The fact remains though that if you've two different candidates for the same job - one with a relevant degree and one without - the degree holder will likely get that position (unless they are a complete disaster of a person, bad references, etc).