Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Alright so your jobs harder than mine blah blah....... Most tradesmen I know are all on good benifits too, sure their all doing the double. So whats a few wee holidays to the teachers  ;)

Gnevin

Quote from: Gaffer on March 28, 2009, 06:50:48 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on March 28, 2009, 06:44:43 PM
The work at home is part of the job ,you knew what you where signing on for. Your like a fireman complaining he has to fight fires or the bunch of moaners who moan about living next door too Croker. Thats the way it's been for years it didn't suddenly become part of the job in recent times.

The work at home is not part of the job.

The time you get paid for is in your contract and that time is worked in school during the day. 

When I was going to school teacher where talking about correcting at home, it is  an expected part of the job .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: Tyrones own on March 28, 2009, 06:57:27 PM
QuoteI do work my hole off and take a feed of bad manners, TO. I'm a teacher !!!
If taking a bit of back cheek from your students is your general idea of bad manners then I think you'd be safer staying where you are!

QuoteAnswer to your question is YES!!
I would love to come to the outside!!!!
So what's stopping you then if it's so bad where you are??

QuoteNow, whats that about a benefits package for teachers.
Paid 6 or 8 week holiday during the summer months,
Christmas break..Halloween break, mid term break/ Easter break, school trips.........................
Paid sick days,
predetermined annual or bi annual pay raises whether it's personally merited or not.
That's just off the top of my head... are there any I've left out?
Great pension.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tyrones own

QuoteHalf days for no real reason, Cheap dinners, 9  weeks during the summer months, cheap deals on car insurance, easy to get credit, free fruit, free internet to book holidays, hotels etc , choce of warm radiator to rest ma hole on when its cold, day off on full pay when there's an election, day off on full pay when theres a drop o'snow,   free stationery for personal use, free photocopying service for personal use, free school waterproof jacket when I have to nip out to the car to get something on a cold day.

I hate this job !!!!

Fantastic... so we can put this long running (non) argument to sleep then,
Should you not be Omagh by now...we'll need all the help we can get
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Farrandeelin

Try doing the Dip lads. Gotta be the most stressful thing ever. :-\
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Gaffer on March 28, 2009, 07:19:19 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on March 28, 2009, 06:57:27 PM
QuoteI do work my hole off and take a feed of bad manners, TO. I'm a teacher !!!
If taking a bit of back cheek from your students is your general idea of bad manners then I think you'd be safer staying where you are!

QuoteAnswer to your question is YES!!
I would love to come to the outside!!!!
So what's stopping you then if it's so bad where you are??

QuoteNow, whats that about a benefits package for teachers.
Paid 6 or 8 week holiday during the summer months,
Christmas break..Halloween break, mid term break/ Easter break, school trips.........................
Paid sick days,
predetermined annual or bi annual pay raises whether it's personally merited or not.
That's just off the top of my head... are there any I've left out?

Half days for no real reason, Cheap dinners, 9 weeks during the summer months, cheap deals on car insurance, easy to get credit, free fruit, free internet to book holidays, hotels etc , choce of warm radiator to rest ma hole on when its cold, day off on full pay when there's an election, day off on full pay when theres a drop o'snow,   free stationery for personal use, free photocopying service for personal use, free school waterproof jacket when I have to nip out to the car to get something on a cold day.

I hate this job !!!!

That's called theft elsewhere. What school did you say you worked in? ;) It's no wonder the ELBs can't stick to a budget when even the teachers are thieving from school.

maggie

Sure us infant teachers get it handiest of all.
The children play all day, hide and seek, sleepy lions etc.  ::)  ::)

pintsofguinness

Quote from: maggie on March 29, 2009, 01:26:18 PM
Sure us infant teachers get it handiest of all.
The children play all day, hide and seek, sleepy lions etc.  ::)  ::)

Well...yeah!

TYP, for at least a hundred quid a day, I think they can mark a couple of books at home. 
You've said before the arent paid for their holidays but they are, no matter how you dress it up. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Rav67

Quote from: Take Your Points on March 29, 2009, 01:23:27 PM
With 52 weeks per year, there are 260 working days and workers, from 1st April 2009, are entitled to 5.6 weeks of holiday per year, i.e. 28 days per year.  Therefore, the maximum working time per year is 232 with many workers getting more than this with at least 12 more days of bank holidays, etc. bringing them to 220 days.

This means that teachers have 5 more weeks of holiday per year when compared with most workers. 

For 2009 the statutory entitlement is 26 days, with an extra 9 statutory days for bank holidays etc.  So that's an extra week's holidays for you that you've decline to mention!

armaghniac

Teaching holidays, unpaid as stated above, are indeed but are entirely inflexible. Many jobs have the possibility of a long weekend at an off peak time when fares are cheap or taking holidays in June etc.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

pintsofguinness

Quote from: armaghniac on March 29, 2009, 03:01:30 PM
Teaching holidays, unpaid as stated above, are indeed but are entirely inflexible. Many jobs have the possibility of a long weekend at an off peak time when fares are cheap or taking holidays in June etc.
Ha ha, god love them.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: armaghniac on March 29, 2009, 03:01:30 PM
Given the choice I don't think many teachers would trade in their halloween, xmas and easter  holidays, their 7 to 9 weeks off in summer and the mid-term breaks for the chance of a few long weekends!

Also the high fares argument in nonsensical. They are traditionally high during school holidays so if terms were reshuffled the high fares would follow.

Tyrones own

Didn't notice the paid sick days in that otherwise informative post TYP,
so a typical school day consists of what 6 hours at most actually teaching?
would it be fair to say that those said sums could actually ( if ye really really
wanted to) be marked in the other 2 hrs that makes up a typical working day of 8 hrs
without the need to bring it home ?

As someone mentioned previously, time management comes in to play here,
like most things in life, ye can make it as hard or as easy as you like on yourself...
  - Walter Lippmann

Oraisteach

So, TO, what exactly is holding you back from being a teacher?

Tyrones own

Brains would be a good place to start ;)
  - Walter Lippmann