Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 08, 2014, 01:03:26 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on February 08, 2014, 12:24:17 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 07, 2014, 11:41:13 PM
Secondary School Teachers get 12 paid weeks off in the Summer, approx 2 weeks at Xmas and say another 1 week at Easter. Lets not add in all the other random days they get off.

So that Is 15 weeks off (probably being very generous to teachers). Now lets minus the 3 weeks a new starter would have as annual leave in most other jobs (ie 12 weeks extra). Going on the pre-Jan 2011 payscales, a new stater in Dec 2010/Sept 2010 would now be on €33,041 (Ignoring all the other payments they can get).

So they get €33,041 for 37 weeks actually worked. Lets average that out to 49 weeks work that everyone else does (early part of career). So that means that if they had to work 49 weeks like everyone else on their rate of pay they would in fact be 3 years into their job on €43,757 a year.

If my maths are correct (and there is a good chance I have made an error) then someone 25 years into their career would be on €59,359 or €78,610 if the were to actually work a 49 week year.

And your point is?

Seriously overpaid for the hours they actually work.

But teachers don't get €59,359 or €78,610. Maybe you should do it if its so easy and well paid?
That was never a square ball!!

armaghniac

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 08, 2014, 01:20:26 AM
But teachers don't get €59,359 or €78,610. Maybe you should do it if its so easy and well paid?

In 26 of the rain sodden counties of this island €59,359 is in fact the top of the scale for teachers.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Secondary School Teachers get 12 paid weeks off in the Summer, approx 2 weeks at Xmas and say another 1 week at Easter. Lets not add in all the other random days they get off.

So that Is 15 weeks off (probably being very generous to teachers). Now lets minus the 3 weeks a new starter would have as annual leave in most other jobs (ie 12 weeks extra). Going on the pre-Jan 2011 payscales, a new stater in Dec 2010/Sept 2010 would now be on €33,041 (Ignoring all the other payments they can get).

So they get €33,041 for 37 weeks actually worked. Lets average that out to 49 weeks work that everyone else does (early part of career). So that means that if they had to work 49 weeks like everyone else on their rate of pay they would in fact be 3 years into their job on €43,757 a year.

If my maths are correct (and there is a good chance I have made an error) then someone 25 years into their career would be on €59,359 or €78,610 if the were to actually work a 49 week year.

And your point is?

I already have a career.

You could say those 12 additional weeks holidays are perks which should be taxed. Why does the Irish state pay people to be on holidays so often? Perhaps teachers should have to do 12 weeks of labour in kind for the Irish state to earn the pay of these 12 extra weeks. Another option would be to pay them the same rate as people on the dole for 12 weeks a year.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Syferus

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 08, 2014, 01:39:36 AM

And your point is?

I already have a career.

You could say those 12 additional weeks holidays are perks which should be taxed. Why does the Irish state pay people to be on holidays so often? Perhaps teachers should have to do 12 weeks of labour in kind for the Irish state to earn the pay of these 12 extra weeks. Another option would be to pay them the same rate as people on the dole for 12 weeks a year.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Syferus on February 08, 2014, 01:48:27 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 08, 2014, 01:39:36 AM

And your point is?

I already have a career.

It is clearly wrong that other sections of Irish society have to fund this luxury, especially in times of economic hardship.

BennyHarp

But you've made up an imaginary salary, just to get annoyed about it. Your calculations are nonsense and you are obviously very frustrated in your own career that you look on another with such envy. I doubt it's the teachers that have got Irelands finances into the mess that its in.

Rois

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 08, 2014, 06:34:31 AM
I doubt it's the teachers that have got Irelands finances into the mess that its in.
Having recently worked on local authority budgets, i can tell you that even if they were all paid €59k, the teachers are far down the pecking order of well paid public employees. So many local authority staff are ridiculously well paid.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

And your point is?

Well if teachers don't earn that amount, then it's a disgrace.  My wife earns less than £50K as a teacher in the North, it's a disgrace when you consider what she has to do.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on February 08, 2014, 09:41:47 AM

And your point is?

Well if teachers don't earn that amount, then it's a disgrace.  My wife earns less than £50K as a teacher in the North, it's a disgrace when you consider what she has to do.

In the north how much holidays do they get, they get considerable less time off am I right? I have no issue in paying teachers for time worked.

What does she have to do, does she work with more difficult people than police, medical professionals, health professionals, social work, fire, military etc. who work full time?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Rois on February 08, 2014, 08:28:40 AM
I doubt it's the teachers that have got Irelands finances into the mess that its in.
Having recently worked on local authority budgets, i can tell you that even if they were all paid €59k, the teachers are far down the pecking order of well paid public employees. So many local authority staff are ridiculously well paid.

Rois, there lies in a major problem. There are too many people shielded from austerity that others have had to bare the brunt. There are many other areas of the public and private sector were people are underpaid.

Bennyharp, I used have a few teachers who used boast how they would never get the sack (as their jobs were secure) and all the holidays they would get. Many of those teachers were good but several were useless and more interested in their farm, their private business (shop etc.) or their long trips away following the ROI soccer team around Europe for the summer.

michaelg

People who have not worked in the teaching profession really don't have a clue.  I worked as a teacher in England for 8 1/2 years, and although the holidays are allocated differently, I think I'm right in saying that all UK teachers get approximately 13 weeks off per year (i.e. Approximately 65 working days).  When I worked as a teacher, a significant amount of this time off was spent working.  In the 39 remaining working weeks of the year, I would estimate that I worked approximately 60 hours per week, with this rising in the run-up to deadlines for submission of coursework etc.  Given what I was being paid, I don't think I was getting a particularly good deal.  Coupled with the ridiculous expectations placed on you relating to targets, together with the constant criticism that teachers are subjected to, I would not recommend a career in teaching to anyone. 

ONeill

I get something like 32000 a year after 14 years of teaching. That's more than enough. I could seek more if I wanted to through promotion etc but not interested. There's more to life than work and money.

Teachers are quare moaners. Try digging a hole.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyHarp

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 08, 2014, 10:42:46 AM

Rois, there lies in a major problem. There are too many people shielded from austerity that others have had to bare the brunt. There are many other areas of the public and private sector were people are underpaid.

Bennyharp, I used have a few teachers who used boast how they would never get the sack (as their jobs were secure) and all the holidays they would get. Many of those teachers were good but several were useless and more interested in their farm, their private business (shop etc.) or their long trips away following the ROI soccer team around Europe for the summer.

I'm sure plenty of people you work with in the private sector are useless too. But it doesn't
mean everyone else is overpaid.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 08, 2014, 11:30:16 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 08, 2014, 10:42:46 AM

I'm sure plenty of people you work with in the private sector are useless too. But it doesn't
mean everyone else is overpaid.

I work in the public sector.

michaelg

Quote from: ONeill on February 08, 2014, 11:17:20 AM
I get something like 32000 a year after 14 years of teaching. That's more than enough. I could seek more if I wanted to through promotion etc but not interested. There's more to life than work and money.

Teachers are quare moaners. Try digging a hole.
More or less everyone moans about your their job.  Fair play to you if you are happy in yours.  When I worked as a teacher, I just found it a little annoying that people from outside the teaching profession regularly passed comment on teachers' holidays and pay etc, with little or no understanding of what the job actually entailed.
Incidentally, how long on average would you find yourself having to work per week to keep your head above water?