“East Leinster Project” - Dublin’s Neighbours to get Enhanced Funding

Started by Lar Naparka, August 27, 2016, 09:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

This story has been around for a number of weeks. I'm surprised that no one on this board has picked it up before now.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/15m-gaa-funding-boost-for-east-leinster-project-34934104.html

So the gap between the haves and the have-nots continues to widen...
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ashman

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 27, 2016, 09:06:42 PM
This story has been around for a number of weeks. I'm surprised that no one on this board has picked it up before now.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/15m-gaa-funding-boost-for-east-leinster-project-34934104.html

So the gap between the haves and the have-nots continues to widen...

Croke Park needs to be filled .  Meath and Kildare will help that .  Makes sense . 

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

The flourbags won't be happy when they find out they have to share their half with Louth and Wicklow.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

OTF

Quote from: Rossfan on August 27, 2016, 09:28:24 PM
First step in moving away from County to Regional teams?

5 Super clubs east Leinster
2 Regional teams Ulster
2 Regionsl teams Munster
1 Connaght
In 20 years 70% of the populations will reside/work east Leinster the rest of the country will be like the north of England.
The 10 above teams will be professional.

Itchy

When are they going to do the same for Antrim? They are shite at football, hurling and building stadia. They have a huge population. Surely the GAA must give them a pile of dosh too?

seafoid

Flourbags and Meath were crap the last few years. Louth and Offaly are capable of a lot more. Wicklow I wouldn't bother with. There was something about Annalise Murphy coming back to Dun Laoghaire and the town having a party for the sailors and hockey players. Wicklow would be similar.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnpower

Sounds like a good idea but on big issue is the really poor participation levels by kids in commuter towns. This iniative will take time but  if you don't have the schools and parents involved it won't work. Another challenge is the proposed change to the soccer season

Zulu

Are kids not engaged in GAA in commuter towns? From looking at some of the better minor club teams that wouldn't seem to be the case but I don't live in Ireland anymore so perhaps I have a false impression of things. If so, why would that be?

armaghniac

Quote from: Itchy on August 27, 2016, 10:27:07 PM
When are they going to do the same for Antrim? They are shite at football, hurling and building stadia. They have a huge population. Surely the GAA must give them a pile of dosh too?

They offered them a stadium and they objected to it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

LeoMc

Quote from: Zulu on August 28, 2016, 01:13:06 AM
Are kids not engaged in GAA in commuter towns? From looking at some of the better minor club teams that wouldn't seem to be the case but I don't live in Ireland anymore so perhaps I have a false impression of things. If so, why would that be?
So called commuter towns would typically be those which expanded rapidly with large housing developments due to their proximity to the new roads developed in the past 20 years and as such they would have a larger % of their population without the multi-generational ties to the local club.  As such the local GAA club has no moire pull than the local soccer club or rugby club.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: LeoMc on August 29, 2016, 08:58:22 AM
Quote from: Zulu on August 28, 2016, 01:13:06 AM
So called commuter towns would typically be those which expanded rapidly with large housing developments due to their proximity to the new roads developed in the past 20 years and as such they would have a larger % of their population without the multi-generational ties to the local club.  As such the local GAA club has no moire pull than the local soccer club or rugby club.

That's a key challenge facing a lot of these clubs alright.

Also lot of clubs in these areas which have seen a massive influx of new settlers simply aren't built to cater for the numbers. There's a lack of pitches, teams, coaches etc and a lot of people are turning to other codes.

There are a number of towns in north east Kildare which were no bigger than rural villages 40 years ago. They now have upwards of 20,000 people living in them yet there's still the same number of GAA clubs apart from in Leixlip where the Confey club was established in 1989.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Rossfan

Quote from: OTF on August 27, 2016, 10:24:49 PM

2 Regional teams Ulster
2 Regionsl teams Munster
1 Connaght

Hmmmmmmm.
North Dublin, South Dublin, North Leinster, East Leinster, South Leinster, West Munster, East Munster, Connacht, East Ulster, West Ulster.
Wont happen but would make for more even playing field compared to units of 30,000 trying to compete with 1.4m.
Also get a greater high standard of football.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on August 29, 2016, 06:27:49 PM
Quote from: OTF on August 27, 2016, 10:24:49 PM

2 Regional teams Ulster
2 Regionsl teams Munster
1 Connaght

Hmmmmmmm.
North Dublin, South Dublin, North Leinster, East Leinster, South Leinster, West Munster, East Munster, Connacht, East Ulster, West Ulster.
Wont happen but would make for more even playing field compared to units of 30,000 trying to compete with 1.4m.
Also get a greater high standard of football.
Sooner or later, this present lopsided system will have to change- it's no longer fit for purpose. (Was it ever?)
According to Wikipedia;
"The population of the Dublin City, suburbs (Dublin City, Fingal, South Dublin & Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown) and Outer Greater Dublin (Meath, Kildare and Wicklow) as of Census 2016 was 1,904,806 persons.[2] This equates to 40.03% of Ireland's population. Estimates published by the Central Statistics Office suggest that the population will reach 2.1 million by 2021, and 2.4 million by 2026."
Pumping extra resources into this region  and leaving the rest of us to suck the hind tit is all very well but it's a short-sighted move.any counties outside the Pale are finding it hard enough to keep going  without any additional  problems not of their making.
Dublin's neighbours are running into problems of a different sort and it's not going to be easy finding a way around them.
I'm talking about the dormitory towns on Dublin's periphery, the likes of Ashbourne, Navan, Celbridge etc. The rapid increase in population here is made up mainly of Dubs moving out but continuing to commute to Dublin. They play little or no part in local activities and still support the Dublin team. Feral adolescents with more time and money than sense are more interested in fighting than in football and the rows are mainly along county allegiance lines.
Dunno what will be done but things can't go on as they are.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi