Football Ref

Started by Portbush, September 30, 2019, 10:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Portbush

We have 16 senior teams in laois and only 6 Ref that passed the fitness test to take control of all these games.2 of these Refs are port men. At the weekend one of these Refs was way out of his depth some of his decisions where so bad that you wonder did he have money on the game(which I doubt he had) we also have a celebrity Ref which he thinks the game is all about him. I know it's a thankless job.but for players to spend 3 nights a week training giving there time for club and county.To play the game they love it's hard to take for them.for me the Ref shouldn't be notice but when you walk out of O Moore Park the talk is all about the Ref.Is this only my opinion or what do ye guys think

Don Draper

Quote from: Portbush on September 30, 2019, 10:33:59 AM
We have 16 senior teams in laois and only 6 Ref that passed the fitness test to take control of all these games.2 of these Refs are port men. At the weekend one of these Refs was way out of his depth some of his decisions where so bad that you wonder did he have money on the game(which I doubt he had) we also have a celebrity Ref which he thinks the game is all about him. I know it's a thankless job.but for players to spend 3 nights a week training giving there time for club and county.To play the game they love it's hard to take for them.for me the Ref shouldn't be notice but when you walk out of O Moore Park the talk is all about the Ref.Is this only my opinion or what do ye guys think
I think the clubs should be much more active in encouraging former players to take up refereeing. Some clubs completely ignore it, and I would begin to impose sanctions on Clubs who don't provide referees to the County Board. I would take home games from them. We are at breaking point in Laois when it comes to referees, knifeing the ones we have will do f**k all good.

I'd also reduce the amount of senior clubs to 12 at the very least.

Neutralobserver

refereeing is such a tough job and the level of abuse they get is what puts people off becoming refs. there is no quick solution for the crisis of declining refs and we do not want to put pressure on clubs to provide refs just for the sake of doing so.  maybe regional refereeing could be the way forward and with a bit more financial expense for travelling. clubs then could not moan also about a ref having connections to another club

Don Draper

Quote from: Neutralobserver on September 30, 2019, 10:52:06 AM
we do not want to put pressure on clubs to provide refs just for the sake of doing so.
Why not?

Neutralobserver

Quote from: Don Draper on September 30, 2019, 10:52:54 AM
we do not want to put pressure on clubs to provide refs just for the sake of doing so.
Why not?
how good will they be? we cant force people to be refs? they need to want to do it themselves and have pride and an interest in it.

High Fielder

Quote from: Portbush on September 30, 2019, 10:33:59 AM

Thankfully we're talking about the minority of matches, and in fairness to Tarpey, conditions were bad, there was a lot at stake and it was tetchy. Some decisions were strange alright, particularly his interpretation of the tackle. This seemed to infuriate Rigney, and I believe rightly so.

As for the overall need for referees, who would want to do it? It's a couple of hours at least gone from your evening or day, and for what? 40 euro? I stand corrected on that. Who can commit to that sort of time for that sort of pittance if you have work commitments and family to worry about? Maybe if clubs supplemented the fee with an extra payment, it moght be worth some people's time and at least be more attractive as a proposition. I saw some players parking away from the ground yesterday while the usual hangers on got the VIP treatment. There's extra money to be had there for referees if everyone was treated the same. If the players can't park in the new car park, for whatever reason, then nobody should be let into it. 

Don Draper

Quote from: Neutralobserver on September 30, 2019, 11:03:13 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on September 30, 2019, 10:52:54 AM
Why not?
how good will they be? we cant force people to be refs? they need to want to do it themselves and have pride and an interest in it.
People need a push. They may not know they want to do it. The way we're doing it isn't working.

Giovanni

It was a totally inept performance by the referee (and linesmen) yesterday and for sure the players deserve better. 

Apart from an odd night to get a lesson on the latest rule change, is there any proper training provided for referees?

I would also agree that there should be enough money in the GAA to pay referees enough to encourage more participation.

Blow-in

I think LCB have lost 6 referees who done senior from last year. Hard to make that back up

Don Draper

Quote from: Batman!!! on September 30, 2019, 11:32:08 AM
I think LCB have lost 6 referees who done senior from last year. Hard to make that back up

It'll be very hard if the clubs don't make an effort

It'll also be very hard if the clubs don't clamp down themselves on abuse of referees.

BallyroanAbu

Agreed Don, we all need to cool it with the abuse.  County Board should be penal in their fines to clubs would not be long sorting all our behavior.

€45 is their payment

To be honest I have watched some odd decisions however I find the odd decisions are both ways favoring neither team.  Also most of the people roaring abuse have no idea of the rules. 

Portbush

Money isn't good enough which I do agree with.the weather has nothing to do with the job that Ref done I seen him a couple of weeks back and he was no better.there is enough money being paid by the supporters to watch these games to pay a good Ref.its a thankless job I know that. It's a job I couldn't do because I know I wouldn't be able for it. Some of these guys are notable for it but still do it.i don't know what laois gaa do to train refs how many times a year they are assessed 

Don Draper

So what we have here is lots of criticisms and no solutions. Its like being at a County Board meeting.

Blow-in

What are the solutions? Every game we now have referees been abused

Don Draper

Quote from: Batman!!! on September 30, 2019, 12:30:10 PM
What are the solutions? Every game we now have referees been abused
Put the focus on the clubs. Fine teams without mercy for abuse of referees. Punish clubs for not providing referees.