NEW LAOIS MANAGER

Started by Unlaoised, August 03, 2016, 10:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTF

Seems more of director of football than senior team manager.

Would have being a great appointment over under age teams.

Keyser Söze

Sounds costly.

Does anyone else find it contradictory that he has been given a role with the U21s & minors but only appointed for one year?

Bit muddled there between long term & short term thinking!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Target Man

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on September 27, 2016, 05:48:57 PM
Great appointment, this guy has been through it all and has some good success on his CV. It can be easy enough to take over a good team and succeed but to do what he did with Tipperary was outstanding.
Most of the foundation work for the present Tipp team was laid by him and one of his selectors and we all know how good Tipp turned out even after losing some of their more experienced players. Good work must have been done a few years ago to have guys at a level to step in to the team when they needed them.
I'm delighted he will have input into teams in the lower grades as they are the future and he needs to know what's coming up.
It's a much better outcome than I was expecting and best of luck to all concerned..

What is all this great success on his CV? I don't see it, also Tipp did better this year after changing manager and losing a few of their better players. He may well be a good manager but his record is not much better than others linked with job unless I'm missing something

It must be a very expensive ticket given he is bringing 3 of his own guys in and taking u21s. Any Laois selector likely to have token input, making it unlikely our better coaches/managers will want to be involved. Not much left for Laois coaches, and all other county football and hurling squads likely to be underfunded because of cost of this setup.

Don Draper

Hilarious. 

Given out to if they don't spend.

Given out to for spending.

Tony

Exactly Don - some people never happy no matter what happens.

Credit where it's due : This is an excellent appointment. It was made with the help of outside businessmen in Laois - somewhat similar to m.o.d / kearns era. It's probably the best appointment we could have made in our circumstance. The appointment is made better with the inclusion of McGeehin / Toomey and the fact that Creedon will oversee the underage setup. That's a proper setup : competent, proactive people looking for progress. The opposite of last year, really, which is only a positive thing.

I just hope the players come back; it's a huge committment. Hopefully knowing a good setup is now in place, all of our lads from last year will come back. Would also be nice to see Cahir Healy back / few new faces.

Target Man

Quote from: Don Draper on September 28, 2016, 07:34:22 AM
Hilarious. 

Given out to if they don't spend.

Given out to for spending.

If the money is there or can be raised to fund this setup and all the other teams and initiatives the county board needs to run, then that's great. I think that's questionable though, given two moderately successful managers have stepped down in last week, reportedly because they were denied things they felt they needed by the county board.

Creedon seems a decent manager, and I think he's probably a good appointment given what was likely available to us. I don't see anything that exceptional in his record with Tipp though. Toomey seems well regarded and has been successful, I know nothing about McGeehin.

Unlaoised

Talking to one current player he said word on the street is that they are excited about the appointments and that McGeehan is well respected the country over with regard fitness training techniques etc etc...
LAOIS ABÚ

GAA-SMART

Whats going on with the Mark Rooney situation ?

El Jefe

Heard a rumour there's a new man about to come in?

redsetanta

Jaysus lads there's nothin but rumours going around.

Reminds me of the Roy Chubby Brown line where someone comes up to him and says 'Hey Chubby, there's a rumour going around that you've got a 10'' c***! Chubby says ' I know, I started it'
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

theoldvet

There's that many rumour going around
I don't know which one to believe  ;D  ;D

ILikeStrawberryJam

Good appointment by the sounds of it.
If we'd had a better setup we could have made it to the quarters this year ..
Hopefully the more experienced players will commit ..
There is some talent coming through ..

GAA-SMART

Meath Dublin Kildare are by far are much further down the road unfortunately. Yes we got to a minor final but Dublin, Meath & Kildare on same side of the draw. Club wise is no comparasment at Minor, you look at Dublin teams playing Kildare and Laois Club teams and it can be quite painful to watch sometimes. We have a long way to go in my view unfortunately, I would quote Emo played a Dublin team the week of the Laois minor championship final and were beaten by an under strength opposition by all accounts.  Yes a minor final is great to be in but it has to be more consistent going forward.

Unlaoised

Looking for two Laois selectors....I'd love to see some Portlaoise involvement and maybe one from over the Stradbally Carlow side....

He needs to get the likes of Healy, and Paul Kingston back in there along with Gary Walsh James Finn and Conor Boyle among others!
LAOIS ABÚ

south Laois

If he's looking for two Laois selectors, I'd like to see him pick two from Chris Conway, Joe Higgins, Padraig Clancy and Derek Conroy.