Knee Trouble

Started by winsamsoon, March 23, 2011, 03:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winsamsoon

Rights lad i have had this niggly knee injury over the course of the last 7 or 8 months. Symptoms include stiffness particularly after exercise and a constant pain around the front of the knee and into the sides. I have also noticed a loss of movement in the knee (doesn't bend as easily as it did or the other) I am attending a physio that has checked Cartileage and ligaments but all seems to be fine. She is now working on strengthening exercises but the knee is getting worse.

Anyone any similar injuries ? Any advice on what to do with it? All will be welcomed
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

muppet

Is this thread for the other knee?
MWWSI 2017

rossie mad

Have the same problem myself after i broke my legs a few years ago.

According to my doctor its a muscle which is below the kneecap which expands during rigorous or extensive exercise.It acts like some kind of release valve however the one in my knees doesnt go down after the exercise and thats where the pain comes from.

I was told that a few years ago and the remedy was to ice it at half time and after games which i got pretty sick of doing and just stopped.
Dont exercise much anymore so doesnt effect me much but i would have been in agony after training/matches years ago.

bennydorano

I have a dodgy one myself, for an MRI in 2 weeks time.  I have a fair touch of arthritis, pain on the inner side of the knee and at the back of the knee (sometimes feels like a pulled calf muscle).  I've been doing a lot of cycling, I find I could be in agony but cycling actually releves it - but the symptoms reappear after a day or two, kind of a vicious circle.

I was running to a physio for a couple of months before Christmas and was being treated for Bursitis - Google that and have a read at that, it's inflammation of the bursae, due to overuse/repetitiveness.  It wasn't my problem unfortunately.

pintsofguinness

My knee got an awful bang in an accident about year and half ago - I still couldn't get down on my hands and knees, you'd hear my screams!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: winsamsoon on March 23, 2011, 03:03:21 PM
Rights lad i have had this niggly knee injury over the course of the last 7 or 8 months. Symptoms include stiffness particularly after exercise and a constant pain around the front of the knee and into the sides. I have also noticed a loss of movement in the knee (doesn't bend as easily as it did or the other) I am attending a physio that has checked Cartileage and ligaments but all seems to be fine. She is now working on strengthening exercises but the knee is getting worse.

Anyone any similar injuries ? Any advice on what to do with it? All will be welcomed

Sounds like what I had a few years back - my cruciate was torn but what caused similar pain to what you describe was a torn bit of cartilage under the front of the knee cap. MRI showed this up and I had keyhole surgery to remove the loose cartilage. This stopped the swelling of the knee every time I exercised.
I have problems with my knee now because of the cruciate injury, but i have had no trouble with pain around the knee cap or with fluid buildup since the surgery.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

winsamsoon

Cheers lad. Forgot I had put it on both threads. Very witty muppet  ;)

lurganblue

an MRI sounds like a must lad or you'll be faffing around with physio's or ages and not get the right answers.

winsamsoon

bennydorano

Anybody any idea what sort of money you'd be looking at to pay for keyhole surgery on the knee (without insurance)?

Targetman

Last year I had surgery in the Ulster Independent Clinic for a torn cartilage, I didn't have insurance and paid £2800

bennydorano

Orior

Quote from: Targetman on April 29, 2019, 08:20:37 PM
Last year I had surgery in the Ulster Independent Clinic for a torn cartilage, I didn't have insurance and paid £2800

During a football match a few years ago I stubbed my toe, twisted my knee and damaged my foot.

I was seen in the Ulster Independent Clinic by a consultant called.... Tony Foote.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Over the Bar

Quote from: bennydorano on April 29, 2019, 07:36:17 PM
Anybody any idea what sort of money you'd be looking at to pay for keyhole surgery on the knee (without insurance)?

The cost of the op is only part of it.  The overnight stay in the UIC for a couple of night will put a fair hole in your savings.

Targetman

No overnight stay for me, got out about 7 that evening, I got a bowl of soup and a few sandwiches (all included in the price) some deal!!