Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alba2

Quote from: Mourne man on November 03, 2012, 01:05:07 PM
Down GAA are delighted to be able to announce that both the Senior Football Team Manager James McCartan and the Senior Hurling Team Manager Gerard Monan have finalised their backroom teams as Down prepare for the 2013 season.

James will have once again Kilcoo man Jerome Johnston on board, Jerome has been a member of the backroom team since James took up the post in 2010 and is highly regarded for his knowledge of the game inside and outside of Down

Joining Jerome will be former Down All Ireland Medal winner of 1991 and 94 Eamon Burns who in the recent past has been in charge in Ballymartin, Darragh Cross and Bryansford and Eamon is looking forward to his first taste of Inter County Management.

The fourth member of the Management Team is Professor Niall Moyna of DCU. He was manager of the Irish U-17 International Rules team that toured Australia in 2006. In recent years he has managed the DCU senior football team to 3 Sigerson cups, 2 O'Byrne cups and a Ryan Cup. In addition, he was a selector on the St Vincent's team that won the All-Ireland club football championship in 2008, and has been part of the Dublin senior football backroom team that has won 3 Leinster senior football championships and the All-Ireland senior football title in 2011.

On the Hurling Front Gerard Monan will once again be joined by Martin McCusker from Ballela and Ballycran Clubman Stephen McAree with a new addition of Paul Flynn the former Waterford Hurler as Team Coach.

Paul Flynn the Ballygunner man has recently been Coach to the Carlow Senior hurling team and as a player won won three Munster winners' medals, one National League winners' medal and one All-Star award. Paul Flynn is Waterford's top championship scorer of all-time. The addition of Paul Flynn to the Management Team is an indication of Manager Gerard Monan's intent to improve the fortunes of Down hurling in 2013.

Told ya so.... Interesting appoointment... Will be good to see what he brings to the set up.  Strange that mc elkennon doesn get in caus of finance and this man does..... strange..

NP 76

Niall Moyna is a great appointment to the County set up comes with great pedigree and is supposed to be one of the best fitness coaches around. He was linked with the Roscommon managers job.Eammon Burns has a good experience of coaching at different divisions in Down so he will know all the players lets hope he un earths a few new ones good luck to all concerned for next year

Mid Down Gael

Brilliant appointment by Down. He has a lot of work to do to get Down back as serious contenders. The form of some of last years squad at club level in this years championship was far from inspiring while very few others showed real potential to compete at county level.
Players I believe deserve a chance are Darragh OHanlon, Paul Devlin, Nial McEvoy if he would go, Ciaran McCartan, Michael Ireland, Ryan Kelly, Sean parr, kieth Quinn, Tim Hanna, Nial Madine and Kevin Anderson.

Mid Down Gael

Good luck to Kilcoo, warrenpoint and Dundrum today in ulster.

Mourne man

dundrum beaten by 2-5 to 1-4!! Very unlucky

dundrumite

Quote from: Mourne man on November 04, 2012, 02:29:31 PM
dundrum beaten by 2-5 to 1-4!! Very unlucky

Spade a spade beat by better team on the day. Doesn't make it any easier to stomach but.
Good luck to Kilcoo and Warrenpoint, be great if an Down club could get this Ulster monkey off the County's back

The Real Real Gael

A very interesting appointment by Down, personally I feel we let our best candidate for the job go to Antrim, 2 championships and a league title in his 3 seasons with Burren is not a bad return, but only time will tell. My knowledge of Nial Moyna probably equates to the same level of knowledge he has on Down club football which is minimal but I am sure the footballing genius Jerome will keep him right and ensure that Kilcoo are well represented. Speaking of Kilcoo, great win in Ulster today and I do think Kilcoo could make things very difficult for the city boys, 2 contrasting cultures clashing in the semi final, the wee men from the small parish verus the arrogant city men with a host of outsiders in their team should be interesting.

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-The Real Real Gael takes no prisoners-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

DaisyCutter

If you were a Real Gael, then you would know who Niall Moyna is ya Pratt!
Why waste your time in writing daft posts like this???

Personally I think it's a great appointment by the CB as I've played against DCU in the past, where he always has them in great shape and challenging for Sigerson Success every year.

A massive well done to the Magpies today on their victory against a stubborn Ballybay side. I hope they can go on and beat St Galls (although a tall ask), nothing is impossible.

downjim

Who are favourites for u21s. We are strong with established players such as shay , donal, conor and mac all available. Did kilcoo win at this level at minor?

Mourne man

Correct me if i am wrong but i think kilcoo did win at this age group at minor! Anyone know why the two city teams bredagh and carryduff are not fielding at under 21, surely both clubs have sufficient numbers to field at this level!

Square Ball

Quote from: Mourne man on November 05, 2012, 01:48:29 PM
Correct me if i am wrong but i think kilcoo did win at this age group at minor! Anyone know why the two city teams bredagh and carryduff are not fielding at under 21, surely both clubs have sufficient numbers to field at this level!

we would loved to have entered a team, we have a lot of players who would be eligible to play but too many of them are at Uni elsewhere and we would struggle to enter a competitive team, that simple
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Mourne man

surely square ball it would have stood too the boys that you have available regardless of whether you where competitive enough seeing as you have been hanging around the lower divisions recently. You have any idea why your nearest and dearest neighbors are not fielding??

Gaa for life

Has there been any movers on the club managerial posts??

downjim

John mcentee or sean ward in burren. Rumours from the bridge or poucher or paddy o rourke

alba2

How many clubs are actually in need of a manager for the forthcoming season.  Has anyone a breakdown.  We usually get it at this stage.