Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersub

Good authority O'Rourke is away on indeed. Hopefully James stays put!

NedFlanders

Well folks, any idea how much it'll be into Newcastle tomorrow night?

DownFanatic

With the Leagues near finished the following looks to be the lineup for the ACFL for 2013:

Division 1

Burren
Mayobridge
Kilcoo
Clonduff
Longstone
Bryansford
Castlewellan
Saval
Downpatrick
Ballyholland
Rostrevor
Liatroim
Annaclone
Warrenpoint
An Riocht
Loughinisland

Division 2

Carryduff
Shamrocks
Clann na Banna
Kilclief
Glasdrumman
Saul
Drumgath
Bosco
Tullylish
Ballymartin
Glenn
Darragh Cross
Atticall
St Johns/Ardglass
Dundrum
Bredagh

Division 3

St Johns/Ardglass
Drumaness
Mitchels
Teconnaught
Dromara
Bright
St Michaels
Aghaderg
Aughlisnafin
St Pauls
Ballykinlar
Killyleagh (Possibly)

GAA_Talk

Quote from: DownFanatic on September 06, 2012, 02:11:12 PM
With the Leagues near finished the following looks to be the lineup for the ACFL for 2013:

Division 1

Burren
Mayobridge
Kilcoo
Clonduff
Longstone
Bryansford
Castlewellan
Saval
Downpatrick
Ballyholland
Rostrevor
Liatroim
Annaclone
Warrenpoint
An Riocht
Loughinisland

Division 2

Carryduff
Shamrocks
Clann na Banna
Kilclief
Glasdrumman
Saul
Drumgath
Bosco
Tullylish
Ballymartin
Glenn
Darragh Cross
Atticall
St Johns/Ardglass
Dundrum
Bredagh

Division 3

St Johns/Ardglass
Drumaness
Mitchels
Teconnaught
Dromara
Bright
St Michaels
Aghaderg
Aughlisnafin
St Pauls
Ballykinlar
Killyleagh (Possibly)

Was commenting on that yesterday when I seen the league tables in the paper. The difference in standard from the top of each league to the bottom doesn't actually seem as bad as what was feared when the motion was passed, going by these standings. However, any team that gets promoted from 2 to 1 the following season should be in for a couple of deadly away fixtures, and home ones to tbh. The Championships will be really interesting though I feel as each team will be playing at the same standard throughout the season. Although division 3 will be pretty much the same as in previous yearas with only two to three teams contesting for promotion and the championship.

whitegoodman

I dont know about the rest of the divisions but the gap between the top and bottom of Div 1 is massive in my opinion.

I fear like the championship this year, the league format next year will turn out to be a failure.

On the subject of James although I think he deserves another year given his record over the last 3 years, he would want to bring in an impressive backroom team or things could go very wrong.  James isnt a trainor and would need to find one of a high calibre ( not poucher )as well as someone as tactically astute as McIver.  It appears that James had a higher opinion of O'Rourke than most and he may have regretted getting rid of the other 2 boys.  He has some big decisions to make if he decides to stay on.

Lecale2

Quote from: NedFlanders on September 06, 2012, 12:08:49 PM
Well folks, any idea how much it'll be into Newcastle tomorrow night?

£2 for the first match and a fiver for the second.

Mid Down Gael

Well done to Dan Gordan and Conor Laverty on being selected on the Irish News ulster all star team last night.

DownFanatic

Tonight's Results

SFC Qualifiers
Rostrevor 3-13  Clonduff 2-14
Longstone 3-12  An Riocht 0-08

IFC Quarter Finals
Drumgath 1-09  Annaclone 2-05
Bosco 1-12  Bredagh 2-08

Rostrevor beating Clonduff is a mild surprise but the big shock of the night was Drumgath beating favourites Annaclone in the IFC. Don't think many would have seen that coming.

Mid Down Gael

That was an absolute cracker in Newry. Rostrevor where fantastic with the fegans, magees, Mackin and particularly Sean parr outstanding. Arthur mcconnville was brilliant for the yellows in a game that was played at a fantastic pace with positive attacking free flowing football on view.
Drumgath thoroughly deserved their one point win in the opening game, packie Downey producing a man of the match display. Colm Maginn, Paul Hillen, jack lynch and Goodwin also had good games. Anderson and Gary McArdle battled hard for the clone who badly missed the injured Brendan mcardle.

dundrumite

If there was a goal of the championship it had to be tonight in Newcastle. Ryan Kelly roasted three players before unleashing a rocket to the top corner. He was superb all night and on this display I would watch this space county wise. Game died a death after this goal and the gulf in leagues became evident.

Bredagh must be wondering how they went from a position leading at half time by 6 points to come out on the wrong side of the minimum,

Mid Down Gael

Ryan Kelly is a class act and is deserving of a chance at county level. The same can be said of Sean Parr, Kevin Anderson, Packie Downey and Arthur mcconnville Who all gave outstanding displays for their respective clubs tonight in pairc esler.

dundrumite

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on September 07, 2012, 11:16:19 PM
Ryan Kelly is a class act and is deserving of a chance at county level. The same can be said of Sean Parr, Kevin Anderson, Packie Downey and Arthur mcconnville Who all gave outstanding displays for their respective clubs tonight in pairc esler.

Always rated him very highly anytime I seen him play a number of years ago. Has he being playing club football for the last few years as never really heard of him?

Mourne Rover

Ryan Kelly was indeed electric tonight. He was outstanding when winning an AI minor in 05, and was very unlucky to subsequently rupture a spleen - the same injury which almost ended Ambrose's career. He certainly deserves a run in the McKenna Cup, although it is amazing that we keep producing fast, light and talented forwards but cannot seem to find defenders with strength and height anywhere.

The Stone scored a goal in their first attack tonight, and got two more in the first two minutes of the second half to kill off the game at an early stage. An Riocht have been hammered by emigration, but the Stone  will still taking a bit of stopping in the next round.

In the first game, Bredagh got off to an even better start than the Stone, and led to 2-2 to no score after a couple of minutes. When Bredagh put over an early free after the break, they were still seven up. However, they managed to miss a penalty and concede a goal through three individual mistakes, and lost by a point.

Fair play to Bosco for keeping calm under pressure, and they have a midfielder and a full forward who will trouble most sides at this level, but an IFC semi would have been a massive prize for a young Bredagh side which is full of potential.

supersub

Quote from: dundrumite on September 07, 2012, 11:45:25 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on September 07, 2012, 11:16:19 PM

Always rated him very highly anytime I seen him play a number of years ago. Has he being playing club football for the last few years as never really heard of him?

Shaun has been playing senior football every year since he was 17 so yes. Had an off season last year but partly down to being chopped and changed position a lot. He is a class act and has been his usual self this season!

whitegoodman

Super sub what is Shaun's best position. Given our dearth of talent in the defence could he be an option at wing back.  He would certainly have the pace for it and think I remember him playing there before.  However would his soccer commitments harm his chances with the county?  Any other reds players worth a look.  Makin is a decent wee player but he is the same type as laverty, ohare and mccumiskey but isn't as good IMO.

Ryan kelly is def worth a look at, player of championship to date. Needs to strengthen up a bit to make it at very highest level but that could come.

Arthur mcconville will def become a serious option at full forward in the coming year, something I would not have thought a year back.

Is packie Downey worth another look at the county.  Undoubtably talented but there are question marks.  Would give the panel an extra dimension it currently doesn't have .

On last nights results, clonduff flatter to deceive yet again, well done Rostrevor, Annaclone must be sick and stone dark horses to make the final.  They won't be good enough defensively to win it but they could take a scalp or two