Your county’s toughest defeat to stomach

Started by BennyHarp, August 16, 2018, 04:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ball Hopper

clarshack

Quote from: bennydorano on August 16, 2018, 10:35:57 PM
2005 AISF defeat by Tyrone by a mile, 2003 AIF never ranckled with me as I thought we were brutal and deserved a hammering, but Armagh had some run in 2005 and I always thought that we were at our Zenith then and not in 2002.

any one of Tyrone, Armagh or Kerry from 2005 could beat this Dublin team imo. Dublin are a great team no doubt but the standard of opposition for them at the moment is extremely poor.

mouview

Quote from: seafoid on August 16, 2018, 06:09:32 PM
Galway hurlers

1989 loss to Tipperary was sickening because of the ref, Mr Denton, and because Keady was suspended and because Antrim were in the final so it was a guaranteed all Ireland but Tipp's need was obviously greater...
91 v Tipp because it was the end of a great team
2013 losing to Clare after having been in the final the year before. And then the hoors went on to win the All Ireland. That was a real sickener

Footballers would include 1983 in a very bad final vs the Dubs who had 2 less players
2007 and 2011 getting dumped out of the championship by Meath. FFS
And 2012 when we were beaten by Antrim.  Hardstation was ecstatic . Every cloud has a silver lining.

Bad, rancorous and all as '89 was, Tipp' largely outhurled us on the day. '90 final was the worst because it was the day we were to reclaim our mantle as the best team in the land, and beat Cork in the final to boot. The sporting Gods disposed otherwise; a crucial 65 not given and Tomas Mulcahy taking Tony Keady on a tour. (RIP Keady, though I never rated him as highly as many would have.) That for me, and not '91, was the logical end of that great team. All subsequent losing finals could have been won with a bit of luck, cuteness, managerial nous etc. We weren't really beaten comprehensively in any of them, save maybe '15 in the end.

Not as many regrets in football. '83 was ugly Seaf, but your other mentioned defeats came when we had rank bad teams, badly prepared and managed. 2003 defeat to Donegal, after a replay, was quite bad. Should have won the first day, when O'Mahony made a massive error in withdrawing the influential Ml. Meehan, and missed all round us in the replay in Castlebar. Tyrone could have been managed in the final. Beat Mayo in Connacht in 2005 with Paul Clancy starring in the unusual position of no. 6. Played Cork in the quarters in Croker, with Meehan running riot in the first half. Clancy, an injury doubt prior to the game, couldn't last at CHB and Cork ran through us repeatedly in the second half.

clarshack

Worst defeats for me:
Mayo 1989  - who recalls the 'unfinished business' t-shirts?
Derry 1992 - beaten shortly after the league final to same opposition in what was a dreadful performance.
Dublin 1995 - robbed.
Meath 1996 - bullied.
Derry 2001 - first year of back door. First time to be knocked out by a team you had already beaten.
Sligo 2002 - simply awful.
Armagh 2005 (Ulster Final) - robbed again.
Derry 2006 - never even scored in 1st half.
Meath 2007 - for all the talk about revenge for 1996 this was a very lame performance.
Dublin 2010 - an all-ireland got away that year. Think we kicked something like 17 wides that day.
Mayo 2016 - poor shooting cost us a final place.
Dublin 2017 - what more can be said about this defeat.

tonto1888

AISF 05. We snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Hurts much more than the 03 final

dublin7

Mayo 2007. For all the talk of Mayo going down to the hill people forget Dublin were cruising to victory in that game. David Brady changed the game and Sherlock hit the post in injury time as well. Mayo's embarrassing performance in the final didn't help

Dubs probably wouldn't have beat Kerry that year but it definitely set Dublin football back a few years.

The Hill is Blue

I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Rufus T Firefly

As an Armagh fan, plenty to choose from. For me it was actually the 1992 All Ireland Minor Final, as that came at a time when the thought of any All Ireland title just seemed like a pipe dream, and yet here we were with the best Minor side in the country, by a proverbial mile, and leading by two points going into injury time. Devastating.

At Senior level, I would include the 2000 All Ireland semi-final replay (and extra time) loss to Kerry, as again it looked like our dream of a Senior All Ireland had gone forever. However it would be pipped by the Fermanagh disaster in 2004. I would have laughed at anyone, prior to that match, who would have said Fermanagh would beat us. Absolutely everything that could go wrong that day, did go wrong, and we still were only beat by a point. I've said it many times - the day we beat Fermanagh in the 2008 Ulster Final replay - that there was not a supporter from either side present who would not have willingly swapped the 2004 and 2008 results. 

TheGreatest

I'm 34 so memory is modern enough.

Meath 97 -  Knocked out at the first round. Season over.
Armagh 02 - World cup Ray hitting the post in the last minute Free, a lot of abuse thrown from the Armagh gentlemen.
Tyrone 05 - Big occasions, a great Tyrone team, hard to take but no complaints
Mayo 06 - 7 points up, McDonalds genius, you could hear a pin drop walking down the Clonliffe road after the match
Tyrone 08 - one of the worst days of my life supporting the Dubs, embarresed on the pitch, laughed at the country, the pouring rain, word came through the second half, Ronnie Drew died, a dark day supporting the Dubs.
Kerry 09 - embarresed again in Croke park, at this stage your thinking we are so far behind that its going to take another generation
Meath 2010 -  What time is it? 5 Past Cluxton, embarrassing stuff, there was nearly a Lynch Mob marching to Vincents to oust Pat Gilroy that day.

This is why I will enjoy the current success as long as it continues.

screenexile

95. . . In what was a poor year overall for football had we beaten Tyrone we'd have walked the All Ireland! Took our eye off the ball and c'est la vie!

Aristo 60

92 in Casement v Doire.

I was (just about) young enough to believe we were invincible.

trailer

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on August 17, 2018, 08:36:34 AM
As an Armagh fan, plenty to choose from. For me it was actually the 1992 All Ireland Minor Final, as that came at a time when the thought of any All Ireland title just seemed like a pipe dream, and yet here we were with the best Minor side in the country, by a proverbial mile, and leading by two points going into injury time. Devastating.

At Senior level, I would include the 2000 All Ireland semi-final replay (and extra time) loss to Kerry, as again it looked like our dream of a Senior All Ireland had gone forever. However it would be pipped by the Fermanagh disaster in 2004. I would have laughed at anyone, prior to that match, who would have said Fermanagh would beat us. Absolutely everything that could go wrong that day, did go wrong, and we still were only beat by a point. I've said it many times - the day we beat Fermanagh in the 2008 Ulster Final replay - that there was not a supporter from either side present who would not have willingly swapped the 2004 and 2008 results.

Football - a cruel mistress

trileacman

Any of the pre 2004 defeats. The death of Cormac Mc Anallen changed my perspective of football. There was so much media coverage of his passing and you could see the devastation wrought into the faces of his family and team-mates. It created an air of tradegdy that no subsequent sporting defeat could replicate.

So having said that, Sligo 02 was the toughest. 95 and 96 always rancoured with the older family members. Big day in Croker ruined by by a defeat to a side that weren't world beaters. Second to that was Meath 07, I hated them from 96 and we saw  it as a chance of revenge. We always had an off year following an ai win so nobody cared much about Laois 06 but in 07 everyone believed only Dub or Kerry could beat us. We were playing great stuff in 07 and Gormley was flying. Geraghty and wasn't it Ward were relics of 96/99 teams so there was plenty of reason to hate them. Of course the fcker would have to put a goal past us.

Cork 09 was tough too as we were playing great stuff most of the year but just blew away by Cork in the semi, they blew us away and we made it look respectable by doggedly clinging to them. Remember Harte on the Sunday game that night saying "it's only a game/worse will happen us". I think subconsciously we all knew it was the last zenith of the noughties team and it was regression from here on.

Wasn't too bothered by Dublin's win in 10 and 11. Thought the long suffering fans were due a day in the sun.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ned

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 16, 2018, 06:55:04 PM
It's hard to pick one as an antrim fan!

The wexford quarter final was hard to stomach in early 2000s. The ref completely shafted us in the last ten minutes. Possibly kilkenny 91.

Recently there have just been too many you couldn't pick one.

I feel in the late 80's and early 90's, apart from lack of strength in depth, Antrim's biggest drawback was lack of experience in latter stages of competition. Galway, Cork and Tipp were too cute. That team had an AI in them it just wasn't to be. Outscoring Cork but letting in seven goals in 86 still rankles but losing to KK in 91 was the most disappointing as that was the end of that team's era.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Ball Hopper on August 16, 2018, 11:40:44 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on August 16, 2018, 10:52:55 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 16, 2018, 10:50:44 PM
Did David Kelly miss a penalty against Kerry in 2009?
Yeah, hit it straight at Diarmuid Murphy. Would have put us a point up with about a quarter hour to go. We got a point shortly after and neither side scored again til the end.

Penalty was in 66th minute, at about 1:28:00 in (apologies for poor enough quality picture)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8db5YNwAZrQ
Ah, never watched the game back but had always thought there was a lot more of the game played after it.

Surprised that so many Tyrone posters refer to the loss to us in 2002.