Log Cabins

Started by magickingdom, June 22, 2010, 10:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

anyone have an experience of one of these? thinking of buying one for the extra space/bedroom. cost about e15k so not cheap but the salesman tells me there well insulated and are easily kept warm in the winter but then he would. dont want to buy iy and find out its freezing in the winter. they look well and this one is at least 400 sq feet. thanks for any help

The Real Laoislad

I have wired one or two of them in my time, seem like a grand job, not sure about heatwise but would be 100% waterproof.
Most of the ones I see are used as space for a snooker table or some kind of games/entertainment room, dunno how it would function as a bedroom especially as I'm not sure of how well insulated they are
You'll Never Walk Alone.

drici

Declan

Missus's tennis club got one for their club house- obviously a lot bigger than what you're talking about but it's excellent- not sure if it's the same crowd??
www.loghouse.ie

Puckoon

I would love a log cabin.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 22, 2010, 10:41:15 PM
I have wired one or two of them in my time, seem like a grand job, not sure about heatwise but would be 100% waterproof.
Most of the ones I see are used as space for a snooker table or some kind of games/entertainment room, dunno how it would function as a bedroom especially as I'm not sure of how well insulated they are
The ones you wired haven't caught fire yet?

Main Street

Quote from: magickingdom on June 22, 2010, 10:36:28 PM
anyone have an experience of one of these? thinking of buying one for the extra space/bedroom. cost about e15k so not cheap but the salesman tells me there well insulated and are easily kept warm in the winter but then he would. dont want to buy iy and find out its freezing in the winter. they look well and this one is at least 400 sq feet. thanks for any help
It's the insulation that keeps the heat in. Such a space would not need much heat to keep it warm, unless the temp drops to -10C

Eur 15k sounds cheap for something over 40sq.m. What kind of kit specification and service does that cover?

JUst retired

There`s an old log cabin for sale. Contact Big Tom ;D

brokencrossbar1

Sent you a PM there fella.

magickingdom

Quote from: Main Street on June 23, 2010, 01:56:04 AM
Quote from: magickingdom on June 22, 2010, 10:36:28 PM
It's the insulation that keeps the heat in. Such a space would not need much heat to keep it warm, unless the temp drops to -10C

Eur 15k sounds cheap for something over 40sq.m. What kind of kit specification and service does that cover?

actually measured it today ms and its 5.3 x 5.3 mtrs so its about 28 sq mtrs. roof insulation 100mm wall 50mm between two 45mm timbers and floor insulation of 100 mm. got it for 10k  erected have to do the wiring and foundation. good value

thanks everyone for all the help. different crowd declan but that site was a great help

magickingdom

bcarrier

Looked at this myself and thought I might get a subbie to throw up something in lightweight metal frame ( metsec or similar)  with a wood composite cladding and plasterboard interior. The windows/doors and roof covering would be biggest cost but you get a lot for 15k.

Nick a design from here .

http://www.lugarde.nl/english/