damien barton new burren manager? will he bring the success of old??

Started by kinghen, January 02, 2008, 05:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T O Hare

great news to see barton as a failure.. i hope his great from contibues with our illustrious neighbours :D
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

orangeman

Barton could well bring back the glory days and there'd be a lot of people saying I told you so ..........

kinghen

sorry men, i've been away and not able to check up on this little debate, glad to see so many ppl with strong views on this subject, (not the localised subject but the debate as a country-wide predicament)
im glad to see that the "background staff" "selectors" whatever you want to call them will be burren men, and think this will give some of the inexperienced burrn men (managerial wise) to learn a bit of the trade and hopefully it will produce a successful manager who is burren and bred (see what i done there? pun-tastic)

saffron sam2

Two things.

#1. Does Barton know he wasn't first choice? ;)

#2. What has he ever achieved as a manager to be considered for this post? A shocking waste of money IMHO.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 25, 2008, 10:25:31 PM
Two things.

#2. What has he ever achieved as a manager to be considered for this post? A shocking waste of money IMHO.

I am sure the same could be said for you

saffron sam2

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on January 26, 2008, 05:51:39 PM

It could indeed. I, like Damien Mary John Barton, was not first choice for this job.

It could indeed. I would agree that had the same amount of money been offered to myself by Burren, it would have been a shocking waste of money. In addition, the question "What has he ever achieved as a manager to be considered for this post?" could equally well have been asked of me and the response would be similar to that for Master Barton; most likely this reply would be along the lines of "Fcuk all!".

At this point the similarities end.

Number of teams managed: Barton - at least 3, prior to Burren; me - none.
Percentage of teams likely to ask manager to return: Barton -  0%; me - division by 0 is impossible.
Amount of money allegedly paid to manager - Barton - more than £0; me - £0.

Reading your posts you would appear to have an irrational need to defend members of the 93 squad. You quite happily ridicule Slaughneil and their appointment of John Laverty (and rightly so by the way), but your position re. Cassidy and now Barton is totally at odds with this stance.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Seany

Barton represents the exact opposite of the GAA ideal which is all about giving.

He is a taker.

He played for Derry, but quit after his AI medal
When he quit for Derry, he then quit club football.
He is a teacher, but never once took a tema in his school. 
He has since fallen out with his club Newbridge (part of the reason was to do with the fact that they expected him to pay for his place at a club gala night.  He felt he should have got free because of his status!)
Now he's in paid manager merry go round.

A complete taker.  He has never given as much as one iota to the GAA.

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 28, 2008, 09:45:56 PM

It could indeed. I, like Damien Mary John Barton, was not first choice for this job.

It could indeed. I would agree that had the same amount of money been offered to myself by Burren, it would have been a shocking waste of money. In addition, the question "What has he ever achieved as a manager to be considered for this post?" could equally well have been asked of me and the response would be similar to that for Master Barton; most likely this reply would be along the lines of "Fcuk all!".

At this point the similarities end.

Number of teams managed: Barton - at least 3, prior to Burren; me - none.
Percentage of teams likely to ask manager to return: Barton -  0%; me - division by 0 is impossible.
Amount of money allegedly paid to manager - Barton - more than £0; me - £0.

Reading your posts you would appear to have an irrational need to defend members of the 93 squad. You quite happily ridicule Slaughneil and their appointment of John Laverty (and rightly so by the way), but your position re. Cassidy and now Barton is totally at odds with this stance.

SS2 my position on the paying off managers doesn't really matter...but for the record I would prefer that we don't as an association do it, but as this is a discussion board I enjoy discussing various veiw points, whether I believe in them or not does not matter, I feel it allows me the opportunity to have rationale debates on various positions which helps me arm myself with good knowledge when the row breaks over various gaa matters in the company that I keep...I do like to wind people up.
On the Barton thing, the one thing that he has never done is to have taken a team backwards. The Ballinderry lads woulsd tell you he did a very good job at developing them and would partly credit him in their AII Ireland success. Mr Mc Ivor was ultimately  the manager who delivered. Donaghmore did nothing before he came and nothing since....Loup...well ...they are finished...nowt to do with Barton. If Burren has something in them and they are on the up Barton will progress them

Quote from: Seany on January 28, 2008, 11:12:29 PM
Barton represents the exact opposite of the GAA ideal which is all about giving.

He is a taker.

He played for Derry, but quit after his AI medal
When he quit for Derry, he then quit club football.
He is a teacher, but never once took a tema in his school. 
He has since fallen out with his club Newbridge (part of the reason was to do with the fact that they expected him to pay for his place at a club gala night.  He felt he should have got free because of his status!)
Now he's in paid manager merry go round.

A complete taker.  He has never given as much as one iota to the GAA.

Seany you represent to me, if your opinion is genuinely what you say it is on the board...everything i don't like about GAA people...a begrudger...expect everything but when somebody does something that is their way...well fcuk him or them.

Barton played for Derry since he was 15 years old until he was 35...now thats what I call a taker..he trained for Derry and Newbridge for 20 years and represented both with distinction. He was the reason Newbridge won their c'ship title in 89, their first since the very early 70's and their only one too since that time. He played for the bridge until he was 38/39 and kept them in division 1. When he retired they were relegated the next year and have not returned to that level since. But...hey...you just dismissed 20 years of service...just like that...a real begruder if ever I read one.

You have not got a clue why he fell out with the bridge and your description of why really does smell of a begrudger. The reason is complicated, and is not for discussion on a board like this, but needless to say the begruder must ignore the premise that there are always two sides to every complicated story. Also he does not live in newbridge, his boys play for moneymore...and he certainly owes his club nothing, he carried them on his back for years and years.

Again with the begruder attitude you stated very candidly that he has never taken a school team in his life...well pardon me for excusing him for not do an extra job in his profession in his free time. Instead of assuning that all gaa people who teach should atomatically caoch school teams per say, why don't you give great praise and respect to those who can give of there free time. One of the corner stones of the gaa success staory were the teachers who did this job for years, but as with life and demands this is a volunteering choice that is going to continue to dissolve as the demands on teachers increase without the reflection in their pay...but hey...he's a taker. You see Barton is a car driving instructor and for him to choose to coach a school team means loosing income to the family home...and sure even the begrudger can excuse him of that very basic role of being the provider in the home at the expense of school coaching.

seany....what a tool

balladmaker

QuoteHe has never given as much as one iota to the GAA.

If he's won an All Ireland medal, then he has given a hell of a lot to the GAA. 

orangeman

No doubt Barton was a great servant to Derry GAA - training and managing club teams is a labour of love for most people.

glenullinabu

Quote from: orangeman on January 29, 2008, 05:40:18 PM
No doubt Barton was a great servant to Derry GAA - training and managing club teams is a labour of love for most people.
or labour for money ;D
sorry max i cant see this man taking burren anywhere

orangeman

I honestly don't think that these top coaches like Barton are in it for the money - football has been part of their lives for such a long time and I don't think that money really comes into it.