Tyrone To Haiti. Lets send homes to Haiti

Started by give her dixie, January 18, 2010, 01:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

give her dixie

Folks, the crisis in Haiti just gets worse by the hour, and I feel it's time to do something practical for the people left homeless following the Earthquake that has devastated the country.

For the past 3 days I have been on the phone to the main Irish aid charities, and all they want is money. I have volunteered both my time, and the ability to collect tents and sleeping bags for them. Unfortunatley, they have refused my offers of help, and instead just want cash.

Having been in Gaza last year just after the attacks, the one thing that was most precious was shelter and blankets.
Having just returned from Gaza last week, people are still living in tents and are so grateful to have them as rebuilding work will take years. The same applies to Haiti. Re building there will also take years.

So, in light of this, I have decided to launch an appeal for tents and sleeping blankets. The tents can be any size, and must be in good condition. Make sure to check that it is in good shape, and contains all the poles and hooks.

Sleeping bags can be in any size, and due to the warm climate there, they can be any season.

I have no idea as to how we will get them out to Haiti just now, but believe you me, we will get them out one way or another. Even if they don't reach Haiti for a couple of weeks, they will be badly need when they do arrive.

So, this is where you all come in. Can anyone help me out and arrange a collection point somewhere in your county? It can be a business, sports club, or even your garden shed. Together, we can all fill a container at least to send to Haiti.

I will have no problem arranging for collection of the tents and sleeping blankets, so don't worry on that front. We just need to get them....

So folks, lets take a break from Robinson and Woods stories, and put our energy into doing something worthwhile for the greatest humanitarian crisis the world has seen in a long long time. We can all do something great together.

John

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Denn Forever

If they want cash what are the best sites to do this via?  Hearing horror stories on the radio about scam sites.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Minder

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 18, 2010, 01:19:14 PM
If they want cash what are the best sites to do this via?  Hearing horror stories on the radio about scam sites.

The main one I have seen is www.dec.org.uk
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Caid

A fella at work has started one that will; give the money to the Red Cross emergency relief for Haiti

http://www.justgiving.com/Sunny-Thanki
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Hardy

Quote from: give her dixie on January 18, 2010, 01:04:06 PM
Folks, the crisis in Haiti just gets worse by the hour, and I feel it's time to do something practical for the people left homeless following the Earthquake that has devastated the country.

For the past 3 days I have been on the phone to the main Irish aid charities, and all they want is money. I have volunteered both my time, and the ability to collect tents and sleeping bags for them. Unfortunatley, they have refused my offers of help, and instead just want cash.

Having been in Gaza last year just after the attacks, the one thing that was most precious was shelter and blankets.
Having just returned from Gaza last week, people are still living in tents and are so grateful to have them as rebuilding work will take years. The same applies to Haiti. Re building there will also take years.

So, in light of this, I have decided to launch an appeal for tents and sleeping blankets. The tents can be any size, and must be in good condition. Make sure to check that it is in good shape, and contains all the poles and hooks.

Sleeping bags can be in any size, and due to the warm climate there, they can be any season.

I have no idea as to how we will get them out to Haiti just now, but believe you me, we will get them out one way or another. Even if they don't reach Haiti for a couple of weeks, they will be badly need when they do arrive.

So, this is where you all come in. Can anyone help me out and arrange a collection point somewhere in your county? It can be a business, sports club, or even your garden shed. Together, we can all fill a container at least to send to Haiti.

I will have no problem arranging for collection of the tents and sleeping blankets, so don't worry on that front. We just need to get them....

So folks, lets take a break from Robinson and Woods stories, and put our energy into doing something worthwhile for the greatest humanitarian crisis the world has seen in a long long time. We can all do something great together.

John

John, you're welcome to my garage as the Cork collection centre, for a start. If it overflows, I'm sure I can get access to a bigger premises fairly easily.

give her dixie

Fair play Hardy for your offer. A Cork collection point will be fantastic.
Sure why dont you stick up details for a collection point.
I have a facebook group started for additional information:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=541019313#/group.php?gid=270890298648&ref=mf

Right now, shelter and sleeping bags are in big demand in Haiti, and everyone, please pull together and send out some much needed shelter and warmth to Haiti.

John
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Hardy

Good stuff. I'll stick up details when we get moving and when I've finalised location. I might be able to get a better place than the garage ...

PM or hardyarse at hotmail dot com.