Tyrone To Gaza, home safely in Dungannon

Started by give her dixie, December 20, 2009, 12:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

give her dixie

Well folks, the good news to report to you this morning is that our boat has docked in El Arish, and every vehicle has cleared customs.

At 4pm today, the 1st of 4 flights will start to take the 515 humanitarians to El Arish, and hopefully, tomorrow we will all cross through the Rafah Border into Gaza.

Everyone is excited, and really motivated about our progress. Lets hope everything goes to plan.

Wish us well, as we have one final hurdle to cross.

Tyrone To Gaza

John Hurson
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Fear ón Srath Bán

Good news John, finally :) Best of luck with the remainder!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

glens abu

Aerlik

Quote from: Tonto on January 03, 2010, 11:50:30 AM

Nothing like sectarianising the cause by asking a convicted murderer to speak, is there? ::)

I'm sure Stanley Adams' family would be delighted.

Edit:  I should say, best of luck to John, I hope you're able to make it to Gaza :)

Trust you!

Nothing in comparison to the racist/sectarian apartheid overtly displayed by the very government your beloved mother britain helped install and has helped maintain since 1948. 

Gulpin. ::)
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Puckoon

Stole this off the Tyrone Herald - a piece by Ronan McSherry.

Canavan supports Gaza convoy

Calling for support for John Hurson as he attempts to bring vital aid to the beleaguered people of Gaza, GAA legend Peter Canavan said the Edendork man was a great supporter of Tyrone when they needed his help to win their first All Ireland title in 2003.
The public meeting in the Bank House Hotel, Dungannon was called by the Independent Workers Union, to show solidarity with the 'Viva Palestina Convoy' led by politician George Galloway, which consists of 500 people from 20 different countries in 250 vehicles loaded with charitable humanitarian aid.     
Union President Patricia Campbell and Moy activist Tommy McKearney addressed the crowd while independent councillor Barry Monteith was also in attendance.
A year ago the Gaza area came under prolonged attack from Israel causing massive loss of civilian life and devastation to the area.
Canavan, who is the Honorary President of the Tyrone to Gaza project, told the packed meeting on Saturday evening, "John was there when we needed him and now the shoe is on the other foot as he needs to get across the line."
Canavan described the situation in Gaza as 'an abuse and a scandal that needs to be highlighted.'
The former Tyrone captain added, "It was a human tragedy that could have been prevented unlike areas that had been affected by earthquakes and other natural disasters. Children are being left to die and are without food, shelter and homes. John and the others on the convoy are bringing the aid in the face of great adversity and need our support." 
The convoy has been delayed by the Egyptian government, however, speaking to the meeting by phone, John Hurson said they were "optimistic" of getting the much needed aid to its destination.       
In a live link-up, a Health director in Gaza wept when he heard the rapturous cheers and applause from the hotel room in Dungannon. A clearly emotional Mahmoud Abu Aisha said, "Our people are desperate. There is no running water and we are down to the bare necessities. The situation here is dreadful."
The meeting concluded with a song about the invasion of Palestine titled, 'Mother's Lullaby.'
It was written and sung by Ardboe balladeer Mickey Coleman accompanied by Plunkett McGartland on fiddle while distressing images of war-torn Gaza were shown on a large screen.

ardmhachaabu

Great news John, we are rooting for you all
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

give her dixie

Only 1 plane has landed in Egypt, 2nd one diverted to Damascus with an engine problem. Another plane will take the remainder of us at 6 am to El Arish. Egypt now not letting in 50 vehicles, and have beeen trying to send the 155 people there to Gaza with the vehicles, and not letting us in. However, everyone there protested, and are staying put until we all arrive. They took over the arrivals lounge, and are staging a massive protest.

These Egyptians are been shown up in the headline news right across the Arab World as every media outlet is following our story and exposing Egypts role in the siege, and their closeness with Israel/US.

More news as it unfolds.

leenie

great/sad song some harrowing pics....

keep up the good work john and everyone...
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Fear ón Srath Bán

From the Irish Times:

Police clash with Gaza convoy

Egyptian security forces clashed with members of a an aid convoy, which includes a number of Irish people, trying to take relief supplies to Palestinians in the Gaza strip.

Witnesses in in the port city of Arish, 40 km from Egypt's border with Gaza, saw security forces throwing stones at about 520 people travelling with the convoy.

The convoy, lead by British MP George Galloway, includes several Irish people and three Irish vehicles.

It has been locked in a dispute with Egyptian authorities over the route of the 198 trucks.

Police used water cannon to force the protesters to leave Arish harbour, which they had occupied, a security source said. About 40 members of the convoy had minor injuries while around 15 police officials were hurt, witnesses said.

Egypt's Interior Ministry said protesters had broken a gate into the port complex, while others scaled its walls.

Some of the protesters "lit cardboard boxes and prevented firemen from reaching them and moved cars from the convoy to block the port gate", the ministry said in a statement published by Egypt's official news agency MENA.

The activists struck a deal with police to trade four police officers who had been held by the protesters for a few hours in exchange for seven members of the convoy detained by police.

Cairo insists the food and other supplies should go to Gaza via an Israeli-controlled checkpoint while the convoy's leaders want to use the Egyptian-controlled Rafah border crossing.

Cairo has imposed strict regulations and restrictions on pro-Palestinian foreign activists who have held protests in Egypt since late December to mark the first anniversary of Israel's three-week offensive on the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip.

It has also controlled the movement of Palestinians and some foreigners at Rafah and is building a controversial steel wall along its border with Gaza to prevent smuggling.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Tonto

Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 03, 2010, 02:42:02 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on December 31, 2009, 12:40:04 PM
I am hearing there will be an event in solidarity for John Hurson and all the convoy at the Bank Hotel, Dungannon on Saturday evening 5.30pm... 2nd January Speakers will be Former hunger striker and Trade Union activist Tommy McKearney, Patricia Campbell President of the Workers Union and Peter Canavan who is Honourary President of the Ireland (or Tyrone?) to Gaza campaign.
Micky Coleman will release an anti-war song in support of the people of Gaza called, 'Mother's Lullaby.'
All support welcome at this event.   Keep 'er lit John!
Nothing like sectarianising the cause by asking a convicted murderer to speak, is there? ::)

Edit:  I should say, best of luck to John, I hope you're able to make it to Gaza :)

Trash contribution.
...go on...

Tonto

Quote from: Aerlik on January 04, 2010, 02:06:22 PM

Trust you!

Nothing in comparison to the racist/sectarian apartheid overtly displayed by the very government your beloved mother britain helped install and has helped maintain since 1948. 

Gulpin. ::)
1. That is clearly whataboutery.
2. What makes you think I or most people in Britain are pro-Israeli?
3. I have no idea what a 'gulpin' is.

mylestheslasher

Just heard you interviewed on the last word there with Matt Cooper on Today FM. Well done, you came across very well and educated a large audience of the plight of people in Gaza and the behaviour of Israel and Egypt. Its a disgrace that those ambulances won't get in - what sort of scumbags would ban ambulances from being donated?

Gabriel_Hurl

just saw on John's status that he's just gotten into Gaza now

give her dixie

Well folks, tonight, for the 2nd time in a year, I crossed into Gaza with the "Viva Palestina" Humanitarian Aid Convoy along with the Cork and Derry teams.

517 people in 180 vehicles crossed through the Rafah Border in Gaza.It was one incredible feeling, and to see thousands and thousands of Palestinians line the streets to welcome us was very humbling. They are the true heroes for what they have ...to live with on a daily basis.

I am shattered, however, I will fill you all in later.

Viva Palestine

gerry

john we are all proud to have cross your path
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,