Tyrone To Gaza, home safely in Dungannon

Started by give her dixie, December 20, 2009, 12:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

give her dixie

Having arrived in Aqaba on December 24th, the "Viva Palestina Convoy" spent 5 days stranded
in the coastal port city waiting to cross into Egypt via ferry. By ferry and by road, we would have reached
the Rafah Border in 5 hours. However, the Egyptian Government insisted we all drive back up to Syria,
and cross from there to Al Arish in Egypt. This detour would take roughly 72 hours.

Yesterday morning, December 29th, we travelled over 500 kms to Damascus, where we stayed
last night. Currently, we are still in Damascus waiting for confirmation on the ferry crossing.
We are to take 3 ferries, 2 for our vehicles, and 1 for the passengers. As there are 500 people and
250 vehicles, chartering 3 boats is taking considerable time. The Turkish Government are co funding
the boats, as they have 65 vehicles on the convoy. In addition, the Malaysian Government are kindly
donating to these costs.

This impass is taking it's toll on the convoy members, as many have to return in the next few days
to return to work. However, the mood is good as everyone is dedicated to bringing their vehicles
and aid to Gaza. No one is surprised at the actions of the Egyptian Government, and we will all continue
to do whatever we can to ensure our vehicles and aid arrives safely in Gaza.

In the meantime, people can put pressure on the Egyptian Government by calling, e mailing,
and writting letters asking for them to allow our safe passage. Plus, please contact your local councillors,
M.P.'s, and MEP's and ask for their assistance in letting us cross safely.

1 year on from the bombardmentof Gaza by Israel, the region of Gaza have yet to recieve sufficient aid
needed to not only rebuild their homes, but also their fragile lives. Enough is enough, and for the sake of
humanity, the doors to Gaza need to open and let this aid in. The siege on Gaza is so tight, that not even
a mouse can get in or out at present.

Please contact the Egyptian Embassies in Dublin or in London via the following numbers or e mail:

The contact details for the Egyptian Embassy in Dublin are: +353 1 6606718 / +353-1-6606566
E mail: consular@embegyptireland.ie

The contact details for the Egyptian Embassy in London are: 0044-20-7499-3304
E mail: eg.emb_london@mfa.gov.eg"

As more news unfolds, I will keep you posted.

John Hurson
Waiting in Damascus......................
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Fear ón Srath Bán

Good luck with the ferries John, angry email despatched.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

give her dixie

Due to more red tape, we are to spend another night in Damascus.
Shame on Egypt.

Ambulance from Derry on the road from Aqaba to Damascus

give her dixie

Below are some links to Press TV reports on the Viva Palestina Convoy.
Just click on the small blue video camera link above the photo to connect:

http://www.presstv.com/detail.aspx?id=114754

http://www.presstv.com/detail.aspx?id=114671

dowling

While I haven't made a previous contribution to this page, I only came on it late last night, I would urge anyone concerned about it to keep it at the top of the topics.

give her dixie

Well folks, the convoy has now moved towards the port city of Tarbus where all 250 vehicles will be loaded onto 3 boats for shipping to Al Arish.
The convoy members will either take a passenger ferry on Friday, or fly on Sunday.
It has been one major detour, however, as long as we reach Gaza with all our aid, it will have been worth it.

If I dont get the chance before midnight, Happy New Year To You All.
Raise a glass in honour of the people on the convoy, and most importantly, to the besieged people in Gaza.

Latest TV report from Press TV:
http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=115010

Click on the blue camera icon above picture.

John

Hardy

Great work, John. Best of luck and be careful.

(On a lighter note - was George Galloway doing a Steve McLaren and putting on a Mid-East accent?)

longrunsthefox

I am hearing there will be an event in solidarity for John Hurson and all the convoy at the Bank Hotel, Dungannon on Saturday evening 5.30pm... 2nd January   Speakers will be Former hunger striker and Trade Union activist Tommy McKearney, Patricia Campbell President of the Workers Union and Peter Canavan who is Honourary President of the Ireland (or Tyrone?) to Gaza campaign.
Micky Coleman will release an anti-war song in support of the people of Gaza called, 'Mother's Lullaby.'
All support welcome at this event.   Keep 'er lit John! 

Aerlik

My mate's family in Jordan have been watching events on Al Jazeera.  There was a good article in today's West Australian about your efforts.  It even showed a group of traditional Jewish leaders with Khafiya scarves holding Palestinian flags and anti-Zionist posters.  Not sure where they were protesting. 

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Tonto

Quote from: longrunsthefox on December 31, 2009, 12:40:04 PM
I am hearing there will be an event in solidarity for John Hurson and all the convoy at the Bank Hotel, Dungannon on Saturday evening 5.30pm... 2nd January Speakers will be Former hunger striker and Trade Union activist Tommy McKearney, Patricia Campbell President of the Workers Union and Peter Canavan who is Honourary President of the Ireland (or Tyrone?) to Gaza campaign.
Micky Coleman will release an anti-war song in support of the people of Gaza called, 'Mother's Lullaby.'
Nothing like sectarianising the cause by asking a convicted murderer to speak, is there? ::)

I'm sure Stanley Adams' family would be delighted.

Edit:  I should say, best of luck to John, I hope you're able to make it to Gaza :)

Trevor Hill

Theres always one.  ::)

Well done John, you are a credit, not just to this board or Dungannon, but to your country. While most of us talk the talk, John Hurson walks the walk.

give her dixie

Well folks, the latest news to report to you today is that all our vehicles have been loaded onto a cargo ship, and are currently sailing to El Arish in Egypt. You can track the boats progress via the following link:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?oldmmsi=271000751&zoom=7&olddate=1/3/2010%205:25:33%20AM#

Before sailing, the Israeli's informed us that they were carrying out "Military Operations" in international waters, and they streched "their Exclusion Zone" from 20kms to 45kms, adding 7 hours onto the boats journey.

However, we are determined that no obstacle will stand in our way in our attempts to reach Gaza and deliver this aid.
Enough is enough, and the Egyptians have been shown up this past 10 days to be the complete puppets with their strings been yanked by Israel/US Governments.

The story of the convoy, along with the story of the "Gaza Freedom Marchers" in Cairo has been the headline news all over the Arab world. Everyone is now aware of the reality of the situation in Gaza, the treatment of those who dare to help, and the role of Mubarak in blocking our progress. For the 1st time, Egypt have owned up to been controled by Israel/US.

Last night in Dungannon, a large crowd of supporters came out to show their support for the besieged people in Gaza, and for the efforts of the "Viva Palestina Convoy". They spoke over the phone to a doctor in Gaza who detailed the current situation in Gaza, and then they spoke with myself. It was an incredible show of support, and a massive thank you to all who attended. The plight of the Palestinians needs to be highlighted at every opportunity we get, as what's happening to them is one of the biggest crimes against humanity in the world today. When will the leader's of the west speak up and put an end to this misery?

Below is a press release I sent out last night, so if any of you have any contacts in the media, please forward it on. Plus, if any of you can spare 10 minutes, please write a letter to the main papers outlining your disgust at the role Egypt is playing in not only blocking aid, but enforcing the illegal siege imposed on Gaza for nearly 4 years now.

John Hurson

Tyrone To Gaza

Today, Saturday January 2nd, the 250 vehicles that make up the "Viva Palestina Convoy" were loaded onto a Turkish cargo ship in the port city of Latikia in Syria. The ship will set sail tonight for El Arish port in Egypt.

The crossing will take 26 hours, having had a futher 8 hours added to it's journey time by Israeli pressure. On Monday, over 500 members of the convoy will fly to El Arish and meet up with their vehicles.

A plane has been charted by Viva Palestina, the Turkish and Malaysian Governments, and it will make 3 trips in order to fly everyone to Egypt.

Having arrived in Aqaba, Jordan on December 24th, the convoy has faced numerous difficulties in the intervening time.

The humanitarian aid convoy could have crossed from Aqaba and reached the Rafah Border with Gaza in 5 hours. Now, 7 days and 600 miles later, they are still not over the line. The Egyptian Government has placed one obstacle after another on the convoy, however, as everyone is determined to deliver this aid to Gaza, they will do whatever it takes to reach their final destination.

The convoy has been on the road for 4 weeks now, having left London on December 6th. They have travelled through Europe, Turkey, Syria, Jordan, and then back to Syria. Convoy members have travelled from 20 different countries, and from Ireland, 10 humanitarians in 3 vehicles form part of the large international delegation.

No one is sure how things will turn out once they reach Egypt, as the goalposts have been changing on a daily basis. It is essential that the Egyptian authorities allow for a safe and speedy passage, and that they get to deliver their humanitarian aid to Gaza without any futher delay.

They appeal to everyone to contact the Egyptian Embassy to ask for their help in delivering this aid without any futher delay.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Tonto on January 03, 2010, 11:50:30 AM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on December 31, 2009, 12:40:04 PM
I am hearing there will be an event in solidarity for John Hurson and all the convoy at the Bank Hotel, Dungannon on Saturday evening 5.30pm... 2nd January Speakers will be Former hunger striker and Trade Union activist Tommy McKearney, Patricia Campbell President of the Workers Union and Peter Canavan who is Honourary President of the Ireland (or Tyrone?) to Gaza campaign.
Nothing like sectarianising the cause by asking a convicted murderer to speak, is there? ::)

I'm sure Stanley Adams' family would be delighted.

Edit:  I should say, best of luck to John, I hope you're able to make it to Gaza :)

Trash contribution.

gerry

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,