Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: Orior on December 14, 2018, 12:03:42 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 14, 2018, 10:52:28 AM
Theresa May and Celtic have something in common.

They both repeated their autumn Salzburg humiliations last night.

But there are also key differences.

The Norway option came good in the end for Celtic, and kept them in Europe.

It won't for May.

Celtic ended up reaching the last 32.

May could end up losing the whole 32.

I'll give you 6 out of 10 for that.
6 out of 9, surely?

screenexile

Nebulous means nebulous!!

RedHand88

Quote from: sid waddell on December 14, 2018, 10:52:28 AM
Theresa May and Celtic have something in common.

They both repeated their autumn Salzburg humiliations last night.

But there are also key differences.

The Norway option came good in the end for Celtic, and kept them in Europe.

It won't for May.

Celtic ended up reaching the last 32.

May could end up losing the whole 32.

Did you write that yourself?

seafoid

Quote from: screenexile on December 14, 2018, 01:18:12 PM
the sun is shouting and roaring about Juncker insulting May . ~It is all a big distraction from the fact that the UK is goosed.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

maddog

Quote from: seafoid on December 14, 2018, 01:36:43 PM
the sun is shouting and roaring about Juncker insulting May . ~It is all a big distraction from the fact that the UK is goosed.

As someone else pointed out, if she is insulted by that then stay of her twitter feed.

mouview

The EU council must despair of May at this stage. What part of 'No' does she not understand? Running about Europe, getting rebuffed repeatedly. It's humiliating for her and Britain in general.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/unprofessional-may-alienated-european-leaders-with-summit-dinner-speech-1.3731409

sid waddell

Quote from: mouview on December 14, 2018, 02:25:26 PM
The EU council must despair of May at this stage. What part of 'No' does she not understand? Running about Europe, getting rebuffed repeatedly. It's humiliating for her and Britain in general.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/unprofessional-may-alienated-european-leaders-with-summit-dinner-speech-1.3731409
Mr. Tusk has made it quite clear, and so has Mr. Barnier as chief negotiator, that a temporary backstop...was one "solution" proposed by Britain... that is OUT.

A second "solution" was "technology" as a solution to the border question...that is OUT.

A third solution was Norway...that is OUT.

Hardy

But Ulster says NO!

sid waddell

May's deal...that is OUT.
Renegotiation of May's deal...that is OUT.
A General Election...that is OUT.
No deal...that is OUT.
A second referendum...that is OUT.
Article 50 extension...that is OUT.
Article 50 being cancelled...that is OUT.
Unicorns...that is OUT.

Duck's off.

No dinner.

Don't mention the war.

BennyCake

Quote from: sid waddell on December 14, 2018, 02:48:18 PM
May's deal...that is OUT.
Renegotiation of May's deal...that is OUT.
A General Election...that is OUT.
No deal...that is OUT.
A second referendum...that is OUT.
Article 50 extension...that is OUT.
Article 50 being cancelled...that is OUT.
Unicorns...that is OUT.

Duck's off.

No dinner.

Don't mention the war.

Vote Quimby!

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

LeoMc

Quote from: HiMucker on December 14, 2018, 10:07:02 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on December 13, 2018, 04:47:55 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 13, 2018, 04:32:24 PM
I've given ye the broad plan for an All Ireland political entity on this board many times over the years.
An Irish  Confederation with 2 semi autonomous Regions -the present 6 and 26 Co areas.
The IC would have a new flagship and anthem while the 26 Co region could keep the Tricolour answer AnabhF.
A slimmed down Dáil and Northern Assembly would run internal affairs in their areas.
6 Cos Residents would be entitled to dual citizenship as now - if Britain still exists by then of course.

A lot of that sounds fairly reasonable as a starting point Rossfan.
I actually think people in the south would find it more difficult to leave behind symbols than northern nationalists, and maybe Rossfans point above demonstrates that. Most nationalists I have spoken to would be in favour of a new anthem and new flag. I wouldn't be in favour of the 26 holding on to the Tricolour and Amhrán na bhFiann  and Ireland as a whole having a new anthem. That just seems partitionist to me.

Purely to play devils advocate....

If, after a 50%+1 vote for Irish unity in Northern Ireland (as per GFA) talks on the form of this New Ireland stalled and no agreement could be reached on subventions from Westminister or Brussels resulting in a backlash against the plan due to the costs, etc, would you entertain the notion of a second referendum?

RedHand88

Quote from: LeoMc on December 17, 2018, 08:06:22 AM
I've given ye the broad plan for an All Ireland political entity on this board many times over the years.
An Irish  Confederation with 2 semi autonomous Regions -the present 6 and 26 Co areas.
The IC would have a new flagship and anthem while the 26 Co region could keep the Tricolour answer AnabhF.
A slimmed down Dáil and Northern Assembly would run internal affairs in their areas.
6 Cos Residents would be entitled to dual citizenship as now - if Britain still exists by then of course.

I actually think people in the south would find it more difficult to leave behind symbols than northern nationalists, and maybe Rossfans point above demonstrates that. Most nationalists I have spoken to would be in favour of a new anthem and new flag. I wouldn't be in favour of the 26 holding on to the Tricolour and Amhrán na bhFiann  and Ireland as a whole having a new anthem. That just seems partitionist to me.

If, after a 50%+1 vote for Irish unity in Northern Ireland (as per GFA) talks on the form of this New Ireland stalled and no agreement could be reached on subventions from Westminister or Brussels resulting in a backlash against the plan due to the costs, etc, would you entertain the notion of a second referendum?

I would hope that the nuances around reunification are discussed before the vote, so that we wouldn't be going into it completely in the dark.

LeoMc

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 17, 2018, 09:13:33 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on December 17, 2018, 08:06:22 AM

I would hope that the nuances around reunification are discussed before the vote, so that we wouldn't be going into it completely in the dark.
To draw further parallels, the Brexit voste would have to have to either given multiple choice options (Remain, Remain in EEA, Remain in SM, Have a Customs union, crash out, etc) leading to no one option getting an overall majority or the UK government would have unilaterally picked one of those options and agreed it with EU prior to the referendum.

Could we trust them to get it right this time and to then pick their preferred option prior to calling a poll?

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on December 14, 2018, 01:36:43 PM

Ah but it's ok for the Sun to cut seven shades of shite out of her, but god forbid if Johnny Foreigner points out what is plainly obvious to everyone that May hasn't got the foggiest what deal she can get through Parliament.

She's fucked this up from day one but not appointing a cross party committee to deliver a Brexit of sorts.

Corbyn is deluded if he thinks that if he gets in he's going to re-open the process.