The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on December 16, 2018, 01:20:10 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 15, 2018, 10:45:37 PM
Wonder which oil or mining lobbyist they're lining up to replace the corrupt, megalomaniacal, piece of shit Zinke?

Not exactly a glowing recommendation for the next stage in his career!

He personally, assuming his resignation is the end of any potential legal battles, will land on his feet just fine. I'm sure there are plenty of oil, mining and timber interests who are eager to tap the "knowledge" (it ain't science-based, that's for sure) and connections he will now have on how to exploit public lands and run slipshod over environmental and public health protections.

J70

Quote from: whitey on December 12, 2018, 03:44:43 PM
The problem is that we share a direct/indirect land border with close to 750,000,000 people

Many of these people live in third world conditions

I don't blame them for one moment for trying to move here, but we already have large swaths of our own population living in close to Third World conditions. They should be our first priority

On top of that we have close to 12,000,000 people already living in the country illegaly.  Let's get these people legalized, contributing and integrated before we let more people in

The problem is that any efforts to control the border is met by faux outrage from the left as is evidenced by the "kids in cages" nonsense.  Building a wall is probably the most fvckin stupid idea, I have ever heard, but Democratic demonizing of ICE and Border Patrol for enforcing the law is beyond the pale

1. The GOP base will not allow the legalization of illegal immigrants already in the US. GW Bush was all ready to sign off on it in his second term before the talk radio/Fox News axis went apeshit. Even McCain walked away from it (his OWN legislation) during the 2008 campaign as he tried to court the GOP base. Same happened with the likes of Mark Rubio during the attempt at the start of Obama's second term. Depicting the whole issue as "if only the left/Dems would be reasonable" is disingenuous, at best.

2. The backlash against ICE is down to the thuggish tactics of targeting non-threatening illegals who are otherwise just going on about their lives. A FOURTH GRADER was grabbed out of a school a couple of blocks away from my house, for example. Stopping buses in upstate NY, nowhere near the border, to question riders and remove suspected illegals. Grabbing people during routine, check-in appointments with authorities, sweeping them up and out of their and their families' lives. After years of targeting those involved in criminal behaviour (and spare me the "illegal entry is a crime" crap- yeah, its a misdemeanor, but we are talking about crimes against people and property), ICE is being used by Trump to scare and intimidate all illegals, law abiding or not, and drive them under ground. Personally, I don't see the need to abolish ICE. A rethink of their tactics and targeting policy is essential, however.

3. I haven't heard anyone criticizing the CBP in terms of doing its job, outside of the child separation policy. 

4. Again, the "kids in cages" bit. You left out the "torn away, screaming, from their distraught parents" between the words "kids" and "in". My "outrage" about that was heartfelt and real. Was yours not?

whitey

Where was your outrage when the kids were put in cages under Obama? (or did you not know about it because the media didn't report it at the time)

screenexile

Quote from: whitey on December 17, 2018, 02:35:19 PM
Where was your outrage when the kids were put in cages under Obama? (or did you not know about it because the media didn't report it at the time)

f**k Obama for putting children in cages and f**k Trump as well . . . does that make you feel better??!!

It doesn't change the fact this is happening right now and it's disgusting whoever is doing it!!!

J70

Quote from: whitey on December 17, 2018, 02:35:19 PM

FFS, more whining about the media. It always about them.

I haven't expressed outrage about the cages. Sometimes a surge in numbers can catch authorities out and unprepared in terms of accommodation.

Nor have I ever said that everything done under Obama was beyond criticism. And there was plenty of criticism of Obama during the 2014 crisis regarding overcrowding and unsanitary conditions. ACLU even claimed that minors were being mistreated and abused, in many ways, by the CBP, for years up to and including 2014. The GOP were going apeshit at the time also, albeit not out of any particular concern for the kids, as opposed to Obama's supposed soft, open-border policies.

But whatever shortcomings there were under previous presidents, including Obama, NONE stooped to the appalling, deliberate, dehumanizing callousness of Trump and Sessions. You can cry about the media and the cages all you want, but Donald J. Trump, the darling of the GOP and most of the conservative movement, will go down in history as the man who saw nothing wrong with ripping crying toddlers out of their mothers' arms and shipping them hundreds and thousands of miles away from their desperate parents, all in the name of intimidating others from trying to cross the border or even seek asylum.

whitey

The only reason people know about it now is that they've been spun a false narrative by the media

Look no further than last weeks outrageous headline from the WAPO regarding the 7 year old girl

Of course the low information Democratic base lap this up like cats drinking milk from a saucer

J70

Quote from: whitey on December 17, 2018, 03:19:31 PM
The only reason people know about it now is that they've been spun a false narrative by the media

Look no further than last weeks outrageous headline from the WAPO regarding the 7 year old girl

Of course the low information Democratic base lap this up like cats drinking milk from a saucer

What's the false narrative?

Did Trump and Sessions NOT in fact separate young kids from parents as a "deterrent"?

J70

What WaPo headline BTW?

I've checked Google and they range from the father blaming the CBP to the White House blaming the parent to the conservative columnist Jennifer Rubin calling the administration a disgrace for their comments.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on December 17, 2018, 03:26:44 PM

Did Trump and Sessions NOT in fact separate young kids from parents as a "deterrent"?

Locking kids in cages, losing kids.

Kids were also separated under Obama but not as a matter of policy.

You do realize that sometimes it's almost impossible to determine if the accompanying adults are in fact the parents of the minors?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on December 17, 2018, 03:33:12 PM
What WaPo headline BTW?

I've checked Google and they range from the father blaming the CBP to the White House blaming the parent to the conservative columnist Jennifer Rubin calling the administration a disgrace for their comments.

WAPO Implying that the kid died from neglect at the hands of Border Patrol.

I can't prove it was intentional, but many posters on here read it that way (as did thousands in Twitter )

sid waddell

I see the forum's resident fascist propagandist is still brazenly dismissing the death of a seven year old as a result of shameful ICE (the US Gestapo) neglect.

He would have been right in his element working at Auschwitz, Treblinka, Majdanek or Sobibor.

A walking experiment in brainwashing, that lad.

J70

Quote from: whitey on December 17, 2018, 03:46:23 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 17, 2018, 03:26:44 PM

Locking kids in cages, losing kids.

Kids were also separated under Obama but not as a matter of policy.

You do realize that sometimes it's almost impossible to determine if the accompanying adults are in fact the parents of the minors?

1. Yes, there was a story initially that the kids were lost, as opposed to the relatives to whom they were released not staying in touch with the authorities. This was corrected quickly, and the general story would have ended there EXCEPT that the intentional separation policy came to light immediately, revealing a much more sinister problem. Yet your only real concern, as per usual, is that the media reported the first story which turned out was a mistake, not the actual real, confirmed, appalling policy.

2. I think everyone realizes that sometimes an adult might use a kid as a shield or prop. So what? Do some investigating. Interviews. Get psychologists and doctors in. Look at paper work. Do a DNA test if you have to. What you don't do is, as a blanket approach, is treat these people as subhuman, like animals or slaves in the old south at an auction, and purposely confiscate their kids and ship them off hundreds of miles, with no outlook of reuniting them, so that others seeking entry will be "deterred".

Once again whitey, defending Trump, trying to draw false equivalencies.

J70

Quote from: whitey on December 17, 2018, 03:50:08 PM
What WaPo headline BTW?

I can't prove it was intentional, but many posters on here read it that way (as did thousands in Twitter )

What was the headline?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on December 17, 2018, 04:18:59 PM
Quote from: whitey on December 17, 2018, 03:50:08 PM
What WaPo headline BTW?

What was the headline?

"7-year-old migrant girl taken into Border Patrol custody dies of dehydration, exhaustion"

And they followed up with this opinion piece today

"Horrifying indifference to children's lives"

seafoid

He said she said with Whitey is pointless
Whitey would defend mass murder if it made Trump look good

A bit of light relief :

Hear Me Roar

@Stop_Trump20

"It is still hard to believe that I have seen The First Lady's tits but not Trump's tax returns!!"
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU