Pat Spillane comments

Started by Gael85, November 26, 2017, 10:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gael85

http://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/278523

Disgraceful comments comparing Irish rugby team to Tyrone tactics. Spillane always loves to get a dig at Mickey Harte and Tyrone over the years. Will he ever get over Tyrone beating Kerry in the noughties? It a ironic on a day when Dr Crokes played cynically and tackled Nemo Rangers like rugby players grabbing onto players. Over the years Kerry/DrCrokes have played cynically but Spillane never calls them out

seafoid

Quote from: Gael85 on November 26, 2017, 10:06:13 PM

Disgraceful comments comparing Irish rugby team to Tyrone tactics. Spillane always loves to get a dig at Mickey Harte and Tyrone over the years. Will he ever get over Tyrone beating Kerry in the noughties? It a ironic on a day when Dr Crokes played cynically and tackled Nemo Rangers like rugby players grabbing onto players. Over the years Kerry/DrCrokes have played cynically but Spillane never calls them out
The 00s are a stain on Kerry manhood. The failure to beat Tyrone when it counted is an existential pain.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Not much to keep ye busy in Tyrone this weather, then?

From the Bunker

It's silly season! Spillane also had a dig at RTE showing Rugby (winter) Friendlies. To be fair, I'm no Rugby fan, but I'd rather RTE spending our TV licence Money showing sports programmes than spending the money on Joe Duffy, Ray Darcy, Marian Finucane, Tubridy et al.

thebar

Quote from: Syferus on November 26, 2017, 10:22:15 PM
Not much to keep ye busy in Tyrone this weather, then?

Your as busy i see  ;D

rosnarun

Quote from: seafoid on November 26, 2017, 10:11:50 PM

The 00s are a stain on Kerry manhood. The failure to beat Tyrone when it counted is an existential pain.
but didn't Kerry win 4 allIreland to tyrones 3 ? makes them team of the decade surely?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AZOffaly

Quote from: rosnarun on November 27, 2017, 10:47:52 AM

but didn't Kerry win 4 allIreland to tyrones 3 ? makes them team of the decade surely?

I'd love a stain on Offaly's manhood like that. 4 All Irelands in 10 years.  Of course they only beat Cork, Mayo and Galway in them, so maybe they don't count  ::)

longballin

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 27, 2017, 10:52:22 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on November 27, 2017, 10:47:52 AM

I'd love a stain on Offaly's manhood like that. 4 All Irelands in 10 years.  Of course they only beat Cork, Mayo and Galway in them, so maybe they don't count  ::)

Before 2008 final, the free-state press was saying this will decide the team of the decade... afterwards: ouch! no mention of it   : )

AZOffaly

Tyrone were definitely a bogey team for them for 4 or 5 years.

southtyronegael

lads spillane is right. dont be comparing the football the all ireland winning tyrone teams played with the muckball we have been watching this last 2 years. tyrone teams never played with fear against the big guns in the noughties, now they most certainly do. its changed utterly.

Syferus

Quote from: southtyronegael on November 27, 2017, 12:27:18 PM
lads spillane is right. dont be comparing the football the all ireland winning tyrone teams played with the muckball we have been watching this last 2 years. tyrone teams never played with fear against the big guns in the noughties, now they most certainly do. its changed utterly.

Blanket football is innately about fearing the opposition. Winning or losing doesn't change that.

Fuzzman

I had a very interesting chat about this on Friday night with Tommy Conroy and he was asking me why Harte is playing this way and he reckons it's as simple as he just doesn't have the players that he had back in the 00s.

"Ye have to cut your coat to suit your cloth" he said and that for years Dublin didn't have any forwards and they could win nothing and now the last 5 years the had loads but he reckons it's all cyclical and that if you look at the U21s and younger there are not a lot of talent coming through again.
I asked him then did he reckon Harte learnt from Jim McGuinness that you can build a strong system around a hard working team and athletes if you don't have the skillful players like Canavan, Mugsy, McGuigan and O'Neill to make that difference. He said yes and he's kept us at the top 4 or 5 teams in Ireland for the last 12 years more or less.

I questioned him though on does playing such a style not stymie the progress of forwards and encourage them to ALWAYS play the percentage game and lose that edge of a great instinctive attacker who will take a risk and try something flash like some of Stevie O'Neills points in those league games from outrageous angles. If you did that now you'd be hauled off for not playing as a team and possession is king.
How many times did we see our corner forwards get inside their man and beat him and then be too scared to shoot in case they'd miss so they turn back and RE-FUC*IN cycle back to the 40. It drives be crazy I said to him.

seafoid

Quote from: Fuzzman on November 27, 2017, 04:21:16 PM
I had a very interesting chat about this on Friday night with Tommy Conroy and he was asking me why Harte is playing this way and he reckons it's as simple as he just doesn't have the players that he had back in the 00s.

"Ye have to cut your coat to suit your cloth" he said and that for years Dublin didn't have any forwards and they could win nothing and now the last 5 years the had loads but he reckons it's all cyclical and that if you look at the U21s and younger there are not a lot of talent coming through again.
I asked him then did he reckon Harte learnt from Jim McGuinness that you can build a strong system around a hard working team and athletes if you don't have the skillful players like Canavan, Mugsy, McGuigan and O'Neill to make that difference. He said yes and he's kept us at the top 4 or 5 teams in Ireland for the last 12 years more or less.

I questioned him though on does playing such a style not stymie the progress of forwards and encourage them to ALWAYS play the percentage game and lose that edge of a great instinctive attacker who will take a risk and try something flash like some of Stevie O'Neills points in those league games from outrageous angles. If you did that now you'd be hauled off for not playing as a team and possession is king.
How many times did we see our corner forwards get inside their man and beat him and then be too scared to shoot in case they'd miss so they turn back and RE-FUC*IN cycle back to the 40. It drives be crazy I said to him.

I think MH and Martin O Neill take similar approaches.  Very technical.  Very safe. Works against weaker teams. They don't seem to trust the players. But once the opposition figure it out it doesn't work. They don't have the star players who can determine matche's.  Or not enough of them
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Ciarrai_thuaidh

I'm pretty sure I've said this multiple times on here and elsewhere but here goes again: Pat Spillane is a clown and makes outlandish statements to get attention and keep the Sunday World brigade happy. He is not taken seriously as a "pundit" or analyst of football in Kerry and I wish people would ignore this kind of stuff to be honest as it represents nothing but what I said above. Some people take Spillane's spouted nonsense as being the view of everyone in Kerry. Nothing could be further from the truth I guarantee you.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

cuconnacht

Quote from: seafoid on November 27, 2017, 04:41:35 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on November 27, 2017, 04:21:16 PM

I think MH and Martin O Neill take similar approaches.  Very technical.  Very safe. Works against weaker teams. They don't seem to trust the players. But once the opposition figure it out it doesn't work. They don't have the star players who can determine matche's.  Or not enough of them

.....similar approaches,scruffy little Ulstermen!