driving debate

Started by pullhard, August 15, 2013, 09:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

Quote from: andoireabu on August 15, 2013, 08:58:49 PM
I do a lot of driving for work and would consider myself an above average driver.  I'd fall into the young driver category at 24 and have a full clean driving licence for 7 years now.  I don't see why I should have to resit a test in three years time because I would fail it and there goes the job.  I wouldn't fail it because I don't know what I'm doing or I make mistakes but because I don't have both hands on the wheel all the time, I don't check my mirrors every three seconds, the odd time the indicators don't get used and yes I might slide in a little close behind someone when changing lanes and I've nearly run out of space.  That doesn't make me an unfit driver but it would fail the test (I failed my first driving test for changing lanes thing). 

With regards to speed I can say that I don't do it anymore because there is no point and it's not worth the risk.  Think I'm right in saying that travelling at 5mph extra for a full hour will save you 5 minutes,  but you have to run the risk of getting caught speeding for and hour.  (Some of the maths geeks might disagree)  What's the point in that?  If you cant find five minutes to leave earlier or you can't afford to be five minutes late then you must be in a serious job.

On the motorways I think a minimum speed limit would be a good idea and it could be set the same as the slowest vehicles (HGV's) as this would take away a level of speed difference (50mph people, HGV's, 70mph people and speeders) and isn't that much of a difference between 50 and 56.

One thing I have notice as a proble is roundabouts.  There seems to be no standard for how people use them.  When I was taught it was the left lane for anything between 6 and 12 on the clock and the right lane for between 12 and 6.  Though now there can be three or four lanes annd they usually have writing on them as to where they can take you.  People don't seem to get this though and just sit in the right lane until they get to  the exit they want and then wing across maybe two lanes of traffic!!

People going into junctions that they can't clear also bugs the hell out of me but I think I've said enough for now!!

There is in the haulage game.

muppet

Quote from: lawnseed on August 16, 2013, 07:18:45 AM
Quote from: pullhard on August 15, 2013, 09:43:49 AM
This has been doing my head in for ages. Older drivers hovering down the motorway at 50 or flying down country lanes at 60. I believe older drivers are as dangerous as young new drivers.

In the pub the other night my mate suggested that everyone be retested every ten years. Do you think this would fair? Could it work? Would the roads be safer?
no 26 county driver would pass the test in nordie land. they simply don't know how to use roundabouts. because there is an unwritten rule and they ignore rules that don't directly penalise them when broken.

Modern roundabouts are the creation of the United Kingdom Transport Research Laboratory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout

It is my patriotic duty to ignore their rules and drive the wrong way around the roundabout.
MWWSI 2017

andoireabu

Quote from: Franko on August 16, 2013, 01:48:22 PM
Quote from: andoireabu on August 15, 2013, 08:58:49 PM
I do a lot of driving for work and would consider myself an above average driver.  I'd fall into the young driver category at 24 and have a full clean driving licence for 7 years now.  I don't see why I should have to resit a test in three years time because I would fail it and there goes the job.  I wouldn't fail it because I don't know what I'm doing or I make mistakes but because I don't have both hands on the wheel all the time, I don't check my mirrors every three seconds, the odd time the indicators don't get used and yes I might slide in a little close behind someone when changing lanes and I've nearly run out of space.  That doesn't make me an unfit driver but it would fail the test (I failed my first driving test for changing lanes thing). 

With regards to speed I can say that I don't do it anymore because there is no point and it's not worth the risk.  Think I'm right in saying that travelling at 5mph extra for a full hour will save you 5 minutes,  but you have to run the risk of getting caught speeding for and hour.  (Some of the maths geeks might disagree)  What's the point in that?  If you cant find five minutes to leave earlier or you can't afford to be five minutes late then you must be in a serious job.

On the motorways I think a minimum speed limit would be a good idea and it could be set the same as the slowest vehicles (HGV's) as this would take away a level of speed difference (50mph people, HGV's, 70mph people and speeders) and isn't that much of a difference between 50 and 56.

One thing I have notice as a proble is roundabouts.  There seems to be no standard for how people use them.  When I was taught it was the left lane for anything between 6 and 12 on the clock and the right lane for between 12 and 6.  Though now there can be three or four lanes annd they usually have writing on them as to where they can take you.  People don't seem to get this though and just sit in the right lane until they get to  the exit they want and then wing across maybe two lanes of traffic!!

People going into junctions that they can't clear also bugs the hell out of me but I think I've said enough for now!!

There is in the haulage game.
That's why I think the minimum speed should be 56 which would make no difference to hauliers.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

lawnseed

many hauliers are resetting their speed limiters to 52mph there is a considerable saving in fuel consumption
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

armaghniac

Then the ones with the 56mph limiters overtake the ones with the 52mph limiters, with a 4mph difference this takes the length of a parish.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

lawnseed

Quote from: armaghniac on August 16, 2013, 10:04:50 PM
Then the ones with the 56mph limiters overtake the ones with the 52mph limiters, with a 4mph difference this takes the length of a parish.
yeah but the slow ones get the diesel bonus :D
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

give her dixie

Last Friday there was a serious accident on the M1 between Moira and Lurgan, in which an eldery woman was killed.
In what can only be described as selfish mindless behaviour, motorists decided to drive up the hard shoulder in the hope
of skipping the que. Did any of them even stop for a moment and think that that emergency services needed to use the
hard shoulder in order to reach the scene of an accident?

Thankfully someone took matters into their own hands and stopped them in their tracks, and some one took a picture and expressed his feelings........

Chris Rowan
8 April ยท

Just sat for 2 hours on the M1 between Sprucefield and Moira. Anybody who knows where I live will vouch that it usually takes 15-20 minutes to get home to my house from Sprucefield. 2 hours for 10 miles.
That's all well and good.
BUT THIS GUY. Well, he's a modern-day super hero.
All of the cars who didn't have the patience decided to try drive up the hard shoulder and skip ALL of the traffic while all other cars, myself included, beeped and screamed. This Lorry driver, took matters upon himself and blocked BOTH lanes (hard shoulder included), stopping the cars in the hard shoulder from getting up the motorway any quicker than the rest of us.
I salute you sir, you made a very miserable 2 hours somewhat tolerable.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

general_lee

Hats off to him. I saw people yapping about being delayed and what a disgrace it was. Inconsiderate fucks

laoislad

So if there was emergency services trying to get through the lorry driver just made things worse...
It wasn't his job to police the knobs driving up the hard shoulder.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

give her dixie

Quote from: laoislad on April 11, 2016, 05:29:05 PM
So if there was emergency services trying to get through the lorry driver just made things worse...

If the lorry driver hadn't of blocked the cars way back from the scene of the accident how much harder do you think it would have been for the emergency vehicles to get through?

There is no reason for anyone to drive on the hard shoulder unless the police directed them to do so.

I salute the lorry driver for stopping these knobs in their selfish tracks.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

LeoMc

Quote from: give her dixie on April 11, 2016, 06:21:29 PM
Quote from: laoislad on April 11, 2016, 05:29:05 PM

If the lorry driver hadn't of blocked the cars way back from the scene of the accident how much harder do you think it would have been for the emergency vehicles to get through?

There is no reason for anyone to drive on the hard shoulder unless the police directed them to do so.

I salute the lorry driver for stopping these knobs in their selfish tracks.
The road including the hard shoulder was closed completely. At 10:00 the police were directing cars eastbound on the westbound lane and off the m1 using the Moira on-slip.
I like to think those knobs, by jumping around 5m of a queue pur themselves 5 miles and 1500 cars further away from the eventual exit which was behind them.