The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Tiger looks devestated not to have won the loot  :)

As the Sky commentator said 'Rose got the money Tiger got the Glory'

trailer

Wasn't much good golf played. Rose making the birdie on 18 was brilliant under enormous pressure, but fair play to him.
The American's fans reaction to Tiger winning was something else. Then them people tend to be something else.

DrinkingHarp

19.99 pay per view to watch Lefty vs Tiger?

No fans except VIP's

Don't think so, I'll read the results online.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tiger-vs-phil-turned-clown-show-192912458.html
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

I see "The Match" is happening tomorrow. Another reason to hate Mickelson and Tiger, as if there weren't enough. A manifestation of everything that is wrong with top level sports people.

Boycey

It's two lads playing golf, just enjoy  ;D

JPGJOHNNYG

Well in the end i quite enjoyed that. Wouldnt have paid 20$ but seeing it was on sky why not. Flood lit golf looked pretty cool

Orior

I enjoyed it. Great advert for the course
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Puckoon

Was a damp squib for me. Watched it with a bunch of lads and the only craic were our random
Bets on fairways, KPs, birdied etc.

The announcing was poor, the sound was poor, the PGA tour limited the side bets with their own money, and the finish was shit. Why they didn't Start it earlier is beyond me. It's not as if we didn't know the lights are going on at 4.30 in Nevada!

trailer

It was a f**king embarrassment. Golf isn't a great spectator sport and these guys made it worse if that's even possible.
The amount of money was f**king grotesque.  Two absolute arseholes.
Tiger must despise the thanksgiving holiday completely.

thewobbler

I found it mildly entertaining. My expectations were low and I called a tie at 18 from the first tee shots (as, really, as a spectacle, it had to at least have the illusion of being competitive).

Leaving aside the disgusting amount of money involved, as a spectacle it does have some legs. Watching a couple of the best players in the world going head to head has its merits. Phil Mick and Stenson did it a few years ago at the Open in what was effectively matchplay golf and it was brilliant viewing. This was nowhere near as exciting as it was largely a vanity project. But there is something in it. Foursomes (not fourballs) would I reckon, with mics and changeable personalities, have genuine novelty interest.

AZOffaly

Quote from: thewobbler on November 26, 2018, 12:19:42 AM
I found it mildly entertaining. My expectations were low and I called a tie at 18 from the first tee shots (as, really, as a spectacle, it had to at least have the illusion of being competitive).

Leaving aside the disgusting amount of money involved, as a spectacle it does have some legs. Watching a couple of the best players in the world going head to head has its merits. Phil Mick and Stenson did it a few years ago at the Open in what was effectively matchplay golf and it was brilliant viewing. This was nowhere near as exciting as it was largely a vanity project. But there is something in it. Foursomes (not fourballs) would I reckon, with mics and changeable personalities, have genuine novelty interest.

Did there  not used to be a program in the 70s or 80s called Shells World of Golf or something? It pitted 2 players in matchplay format in different courses around the world.

Boycey

Beat me to it AZ, it goes back way further than that here's Billy Casper and Harry Bradshaw playing Portmarnock in 1963 for a purse of $5000, strokeplay rather than matchday. It's worth a watch for the 1st 5 mins or so to see the eliteness and snobbery of golf back in the day.

https://youtu.be/4-yk2oL_g2w

I think the programme went on into the 2000s but the early ones are in a league of their own.

Tatler Jack

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2018/11/30/tiger-woods-dodges-penalty-hero-world-challenge/2166673002/

As usual officialdom give Tiger the benefit of the doubt and the most favorable ruling. Clearly by his comments Woods knew that it was probably a double hit - it was a scoop in my book.