TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneboi

Quote from: Minder on June 02, 2010, 04:44:01 PM
Haven't read back on this thread but "Two and a half men" on Comedy Central is as good as is on tv at the minute.

I must be the only one to hate that show. I have watched it several times and just not a fan at all. Give me the likes of Entourage and Curb Your Enthusiasm any day of the week!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: tyroneboi on June 02, 2010, 06:58:56 PM
Quote from: Minder on June 02, 2010, 04:44:01 PM
Haven't read back on this thread but "Two and a half men" on Comedy Central is as good as is on tv at the minute.

I must be the only one to hate that show. I have watched it several times and just not a fan at all. Give me the likes of Entourage and Curb Your Enthusiasm any day of the week!
It took me a few episodes to get into it but i've seen pretty much now and it's consistently very funny. About the only show on tv that makes me lol!

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Quote from: Celt_Man on June 02, 2010, 04:35:21 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on June 02, 2010, 01:35:55 PM
QuoteIs the Spartan any good?

If gratuitous sex and violence is your thing, then Spartacus is for you.  Seriously though, it's good escapism - I enjoyed it, but it wasn't exactly riveting.  John Hannah is good as the evil, though likeable slavemaster.  Lucy Lawless (remember Xena Warrior Princess, prrrrrrr) is his flakey missus.

Bingo!! This Spartan thingy now has a new fan! ;D

I enjoyed series 1 of Spartacus, as gratuitous as Rome and violent as 300, with a bit of Gladiator thrown in for good measure. Great indulgence!

Also finished the second series of Sons of Anarchy which is fairly decent, from the producer of The Shield, although it features THE WORST Oirish accents I've heard in a long time. The fact the group selling them guns are called the 'True IRA' only adds to the hilarity. Some of the best quotes include in some sort of quasi American/Belfast/Dublin accent... "I grew up in South Armagh boys".... No, you didn't.

I'm also having a crack at Treme, from the makers of the wire, set in New Orleans after Katrina, featuring John Goodman, only watched the pilot, but very good so far and i'm i've also watched the pilot of 'Justified', which stars Timothy Olyphant from Deadwood and is based around a character from a few Elmore Leonard novels, (he wrote Get Shorty and Rum Punch aka Jackie Brown among a pile of books adapted for film for those unfamiliar with his stuff)
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Catch the high ball

Does anybody watch Deadliest Catch on the Discovery Channel every Tuesday at 9pm? Great show which is in its 6th series.
On Tuesday past there, they showed a reconstruction of a real-life mayday call from a boat and the whole rescue operation, thought it was brillant.
GAA Board World Cup Sweepstake Winner 2010

Bogball XV

Had a quick look through as i'm just about out of tv series to watch (lucky the world cup is starting), thinking of getting arrested development, dexter, 30 rock - will the woman like them?  She's done the wire and sopranos, so i reckon she should be able to handle dexter?
I might get The Unit for myself too.

Just a few comments on all the shows recommended - West Wing: is it overrated or is it just that this long after the show was aired and with a regime which appears to be based on the show in charge in the US it hasn't aged well?
Entourage: great first 2 series, but am i the only one who thinks series 3 and series 4 haven been getting worse by the episode - is eric one of the most annoying characters on tv?  I haven't seen series 5 or 6 and don't know if i really want to.
Sopranos was excellent until the last series and a half and even then wasn't bad.  Generation Kill and Mad Men are my two favourite series of the past year, although, Mad Men 2 was a let down.

pintsofguinness

The west wing is the best show ever made!!!

I didnt like dexter but arrested development is very funny and the Unit is class.
Should try burn notice.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Puckoon

Pints - burn notice is watchable, but it aint gonna set the world alight.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Puckoon on June 10, 2010, 10:56:34 PM
Pints - burn notice is watchable, but it aint gonna set the world alight.
It's no west wing, but it's very good

Puckoon

Never watched the west wing. Just getting through the first season of the sopranos.

Bogball XV

so what's this burn notice all about?

Bogball XV

also, i saw the first episode in the family guy spin off - cleveland, it looked awful to me.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Bogball XV on June 10, 2010, 11:08:52 PM
so what's this burn notice all about?
A spy who gets served a burn notice and no one will have anything to do with him so he's trying to find out who burned him but in the meantime does private work for cash, kinda like a private detective only with more of a macgyver/A team style to it. He's got a crazy mother and two friends who help him - one a middle aged alcholoic and an ex IRA woman.  It has a nice blend of action and comedy. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0810788/

Celt_Man

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 10, 2010, 10:52:15 PM
The west wing is the best show ever made!!!

I didnt like dexter but arrested development is very funny and the Unit is class.
Should try burn notice.

serious show... finished watching all 6 seasons there about a month and a half ago... very very enjoyable show, very well written
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Canalman

Take a trip lads and ladies to your local library ................ loads of tv series boxsets to be borrowed. Presume others can be ordered in. A great amenity.

Celt_Man

Spartacus: Blood and Sand after starting on TV3 there
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010