TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy90

Quote from: bennydorano on March 06, 2019, 05:22:41 PM
Great Historical series on BBC4 called, British History's Greatest Fibs. Only 3 episodes tho, India, the Glorious Revolution & the War of the Roses covered. I find I spend most of my time downloading BBC4 shows these days, I'm really getting old.

Great idea for a series but got the choice of presenter totally wrong. That Lucy Worsley just gets on my tits.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Tony Baloney

Great Historical series on BBC4 called, British History's Greatest Fibs. Only 3 episodes tho, India, the Glorious Revolution & the War of the Roses covered. I find I spend most of my time downloading BBC4 shows these days, I'm really getting old.
I'm now a Radio 4 listener! Never thought I'd see the day.

bennydorano

Quote from: ziggy90 on March 06, 2019, 06:51:04 PM

Great idea for a series but got the choice of presenter totally wrong. That Lucy Worsley just gets on my tits.
Big +1

spuds

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on February 26, 2019, 08:13:28 PM
Quote from: spuds on February 26, 2019, 12:23:42 PM
Bordertown series 1 was decent and no issue with it being subtitled, series 2 is English dubbed and takes away from the enjoyment of it.

Change your settings in Netflix. Turn on original language and subtitles.
Much appreciated Geoff. Watchable again.  :)
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

laoislad

This Michael Jackson documentary on C4 now is a bit WTF....!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on March 06, 2019, 09:54:22 PM
What parents allow a 7 year old to have a sleepover with Jacko?!  ???

From the Bunker

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 06, 2019, 11:33:53 PM

It happened nearly 30 years ago, I suppose one could ask the same of peoples trust of the Catholic Church during the same period and earlier.  Disturbing stuff if what the boys are saying is true.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 07, 2019, 12:14:17 AM

It happened nearly 30 years ago, I suppose one could ask the same of peoples trust of the Catholic Church during the same period and earlier.  Disturbing stuff if what the boys are saying is true.
True. But still, these lads were left for days on end to sleep in the same room as someone known to be "strange". Anything is possible but it's hard to prove or disprove based on their testimony and some people will automatically presume they're in this for a big pay day.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 07, 2019, 12:24:39 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 07, 2019, 12:14:17 AM

True. But still, these lads were left for days on end to sleep in the same room as someone known to be "strange". Anything is possible but it's hard to prove or disprove based on their testimony and some people will automatically presume they're in this for a big pay day.

Yes, unless one of Jackson's former employees said something. The Royalties from his music that have been financing the running of his estate will be destroyed by these revelations.

Jell 0 Biafra

Much of what is now obvious with Jackson wasn't obvious to everyone at the time.  He might have seemed strange in certain ways, but it wasn't obvious that this strangeness equated to child abuse. Celebrity status seems to blind a lot of people to what later appears blindingly obvious.  Look, for example, at Jimmy Saville, how obvious does his evil now appear, and he ran a highly rated kids'  show for years.

Another example of things that are now obvious which weren't at the time was back in the 70's and 80's, when being gay was, for many people, associated with perversion, lots of people didn't realize Freddy Mercury was gay.  That people managed to miss this seems bizarre now.

BennyCake

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on March 07, 2019, 01:52:08 AM
Much of what is now obvious with Jackson wasn't obvious to everyone at the time.  He might have seemed strange in certain ways, but it wasn't obvious that this strangeness equated to child abuse. Celebrity status seems to blind a lot of people to what later appears blindingly obvious.  Look, for example, at Jimmy Saville, how obvious does his evil now appear, and he ran a highly rated kids'  show for years.

Another example of things that are now obvious which weren't at the time was back in the 70's and 80's, when being gay was, for many people, associated with perversion, lots of people didn't realize Freddy Mercury was gay.  That people managed to miss this seems bizarre now.

Freddie Mercury was gay?!  :o

JPGJOHNNYG

Just finished white gold season 2 on iPlayer. Good laugh and love all the eighties music 

Milltown Row2

One of the parents was happy enough to get a free house
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Watched Band Of Brothers for about the 20th time today. It has to be the best TV series ever made. A masterpiece.

michaelg

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 07, 2019, 09:09:44 PM
Just finished white gold season 2 on iPlayer. Good laugh and love all the eighties music
Good show that.