The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

Quote from: sam03/05 on November 18, 2018, 12:28:19 PM
Winning a pre season friendly is not much to get excited about
Give me a shout after the world cup see what happens then

Unlikely anybody will be giving you a shout on anything rugby related.

It's not a pre season friendly. For the guts of 100 years these games were the pinnacle of the sport. They are still vitally important. Ireland are unlikely to play a more important game between now and a RWC quarterfinal

Hardy

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on November 18, 2018, 11:34:35 AM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on November 18, 2018, 10:56:49 AM
Am I wrong in thinking Rory Best is a weak link in that team?

Only in the minds of some Leinster and Munster people.

Cronin has some extra speed but his line outs last night prevented Ireland putting up quite a score on NZ.

Best is still the best option in terms of experience, all round game and leadership.  Look how many times he was into the ruck with O'Mahoney, how well he led the scrum and how he took the right decisions for the team.

When Sexton, he who would be captain, wanted to go again for the line out at the end of the first half, Best told him to take the score, impetuous Sexton wasn't pleased but those 3 points made it a two score game for a long time and made it more difficult for NZ.  That's what you get with Best, he may not be the best hooker but he brings much more to the team than Cronin, Scannell or Herring.

Fair play to Toner on last nights performance given being out of favour as first choice for a while.

I wouldn't know much about lineouts but it seemed to me that Cronin threw the ball exactly where he was supposed to for both lineouts that were lost. In both cases, NZ out-jumped the receiver, which wasn't happening when Toner and O'Mahony were on.

I don't know much about being a rugby captain either and leadership is an intangible concept, but Best seems to have it in abundance and more than his rivals for the hooker position. If it were not for that I'd say Cronin would be the first choice.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hardy on November 18, 2018, 01:10:12 PM

Cronin has some extra speed but his line outs last night prevented Ireland putting up quite a score on NZ.

Best is still the best option in terms of experience, all round game and leadership.  Look how many times he was into the ruck with O'Mahoney, how well he led the scrum and how he took the right decisions for the team.

When Sexton, he who would be captain, wanted to go again for the line out at the end of the first half, Best told him to take the score, impetuous Sexton wasn't pleased but those 3 points made it a two score game for a long time and made it more difficult for NZ.  That's what you get with Best, he may not be the best hooker but he brings much more to the team than Cronin, Scannell or Herring.

Fair play to Toner on last nights performance given being out of favour as first choice for a while.

I wouldn't know much about lineouts but it seemed to me that Cronin threw the ball exactly where he was supposed to for both lineouts that were lost. In both cases, NZ out-jumped the receiver, which wasn't happening when Toner and O'Mahony were on.

I don't know much about being a rugby captain either and leadership is an intangible concept, but Best seems to have it in abundance and more than his rivals for the hooker position. If it were not for that I'd say Cronin would be the first choice.

So by your own admission, you don't know much
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

What is it with the ongoing wind up attempts here and all over social media on the friendly crap.

Only 9 countries play it to a high standard? How many teams can realistically win the world cup in soccer, the sam maguire, the liam mccarthy, the world baseball, the olympic basketball and the list goes on?

Worse is i think some people are convinced of their arguments.

We are number one in the world, for now, at rugby. It should be celebrated.

JoG2

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 18, 2018, 01:29:15 PM
What is it with the ongoing wind up attempts here and all over social media on the friendly crap.

Only 9 countries play it to a high standard? How many teams can realistically win the world cup in soccer, the sam maguire, the liam mccarthy, the world baseball, the olympic basketball and the list goes on?

It's just ballbags being ballbags, no point trying to find sense in it.. There's at least 3 on this 1 page of the thread alone!

BallyroanAbu

Not to take down the general chest beating tone,  as world ranking points go on Monday we are still the second best team in the world.  But on the positive I don't think I have ever seen an Irish team as competitive with an All Blacks team  through an entire game.

A couple of things from the GAA's point of view,  is the growth of Rugby a good thing I think not.  The vast majority will never succeed but a high proportion of elite athletes will.  They may not play for Leinster and Munster but they will be picked up by lower level English Clubs.  Gaelic Football and Rugby would require many of the same attributes.

Are we the biggest bandwagon nation in the world ?  Is it a bad thing just a question.

JoG2

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on November 18, 2018, 01:59:49 PM
Not to take down general chest beating as world ranking points go on Monday we are still second best team in the world.  But on the positive I don't think I have ever seen an Irish team as competitive with an All Blacks Team through an entire game.

You keep reading the word 'relentless' re last night's performance. Foot on the pedal from start to finish

LooseCannon

Quote from: Main Street on November 18, 2018, 11:03:24 AM
3 or 4 line outs were lost after Rory's departure.
But you could also argue that big Dev was taken off at that time as well.

Hardy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 18, 2018, 01:19:13 PM

Did you have a point?

bennydorano

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 18, 2018, 01:29:15 PM

The Philosopher / Polemicist 🤔 McKenna was at his work.

imtommygunn

I just can not warm to that guy at all.

Lar Naparka

???
Am I missing something?
I see nowt wrong with what Hardy observations here. Dunno about Cronin being first choice but the rest is spot on.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Insane Bolt

Great day, happy as a pig in shit, even though I tipped NZ😩. Atmosphere was best I have ever experienced since Michael Kiernan dropped the goal against England in 1985.

Dinny Breen

Test Rugby has been around for almost 150 years, to claim the The Rugby World Cup is all the matters and is the only barometer of success is to disrespect all that has gone before.

Rugby has it's own set of values and traditions and like Cricket it puts great emphasis on Test matches. To impose soccer's concept of 'friendlies' or the GAA's 'challenge game' on to these games is at worst ignorance or at best disingenuous.

What is amuses me is posters here criticising rugby for having a tiered model yet almost in the same breath they are calling for the same in GAA football and knowing it exists in hurling.

Now rugby might never be a big a national sport as begrudgary but yesterday's victory should be something Ireland as a whole should be proud of. It was commitment personified.
#newbridgeornowhere

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 18, 2018, 06:07:54 PM

???
Am I missing something?
I see nowt wrong with what Hardy observations here. Dunno about Cronin being first choice but the rest is spot on.

So if Best throws them he'd be throwing them to the right place?  And those in the line out don't catch them?

I don't think Ireland are great at line outs regardless of Toner or not. But Best isn't just there to do lineouts, but most of what you said is right, you don't know much  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea