Building a house

Started by JimStynes, February 26, 2011, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL/MAYO

Quote from: seafoid on November 06, 2014, 08:00:30 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on November 06, 2014, 11:16:18 AM
Looking some advice here and I thought this was the most appropriate place for it. We bought our own house (New build that was vacant for approx 3 year for 62k) three years ago. My father in law has had a turn in health recently and my partner is keen to look at the option of buying a site of my father in law and building on his land. I spoke to the estate agent we bought of and he said.he would put our house on the market for 80k. After fees etc I would hope to come out with close to 20k for a follow on deposit.

My questions are:

1. Is there a mortgage out there for new builds? Are these hard to obtain?

2. My father in law bought his house and land recently and is under the impression that (a few.years ago) there was a site advertised on the land he bought. Is it possible to track this down? If this was the case would it be easier to go through the process of obtaining planning permission for a new site?

3. Finally, I have no clue about how much it is to build a house. Roughly speaking how much would a four bed bungalow cost. Wouldn't have a clue where to start re square footage. Would a four bed two story increase the cost majorly?
selfbuild.ie is a very good site and it is 32 county. They also have a magazine

Discovered this site last week. Some great ideas and information including references for builders and architects.  Also some costs included in some of the articles on self builds. Passive House or near Passive seems to be the way to go.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: FL/MAYO on November 06, 2014, 10:37:09 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 06, 2014, 08:00:30 PM
Looking some advice here and I thought this was the most appropriate place for it. We bought our own house (New build that was vacant for approx 3 year for 62k) three years ago. My father in law has had a turn in health recently and my partner is keen to look at the option of buying a site of my father in law and building on his land. I spoke to the estate agent we bought of and he said.he would put our house on the market for 80k. After fees etc I would hope to come out with close to 20k for a follow on deposit.

My questions are:

2. My father in law bought his house and land recently and is under the impression that (a few.years ago) there was a site advertised on the land he bought. Is it possible to track this down? If this was the case would it be easier to go through the process of obtaining planning permission for a new site?

3. Finally, I have no clue about how much it is to build a house. Roughly speaking how much would a four bed bungalow cost. Wouldn't have a clue where to start re square footage. Would a four bed two story increase the cost majorly?
selfbuild.ie is a very good site and it is 32 county. They also have a magazine

Discovered this site last week. Some great ideas and information including references for builders and architects.  Also some costs included in some of the articles on self builds. Passive House or near Passive seems to be the way to go.

the selfbuild show run by the guys that do the magzine is on in belfast in febuary. its probably not a bad palce to go to get ideas/information and see whats out there
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Feckitt

Lads, I finally just got planning permission through for my new house.  It's a 4 bed dormer bungalow.  A lot of people have said to me I should throw up a timber frame house because it is cheaper and quicker, but I wasn't sure what are the pros and cons between timber frame and ordinary block build?

illdecide

Quote from: Feckitt on November 11, 2014, 11:08:29 AM
Lads, I finally just got planning permission through for my new house.  It's a 4 bed dormer bungalow.  A lot of people have said to me I should throw up a timber frame house because it is cheaper and quicker, but I wasn't sure what are the pros and cons between timber frame and ordinary block build?

I'm no expert and I know there are a few guys on here who know more about it than me but i'll give you my opinion anyway...

Timber Frame home are slightly quicker to construct than traditional block houses but not as quick as they suggest, they are greener which is better for the environment and may improve the U value of your home.

Traditional block work for me is better as they have a good fire rating and the noise levels will also reduce. I would highly recommend you use the pre-stressed or pre-cast floor slabs(depends on your build), these are great fire rating and no noise from kids upstairs running riot plus you can have them designed so that you can build load bearing walls of them mid span
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

DrinkingHarp

Look at this, container home in Derry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTgwLCMzpjc
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

seafoid

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on November 12, 2014, 05:21:45 AM

Where exactly ? Looks like a fabulous house for 130K
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

blewuporstuffed

I think it was somewhere around Swatragh
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

gander

My questions are:

Progressive do self build mortgages, think ulster and halifax do too but they require you to have the roof on before you get the first stage payment.

LeoMc

Quote from: seafoid on November 12, 2014, 09:58:06 AM

Don't have access to Youtube here, is this the Datsun Donaghy impersonator from Grand Designs?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: LeoMc on November 12, 2014, 01:15:47 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 12, 2014, 09:58:06 AM

Don't have access to Youtube here, is this the Datsun Donaghy impersonator from Grand Designs?
Yes. £130k on the basis that he is an architect and no doubt got serious discount from tradesmen of the back of the tv programme.

mb80b60

Lads, quick question which is probably obvious to most of you but not me!  A few people have told me to allow around £60 per square foot for the build of our house.  Does the square footage include the walls, or is it just the combined square footage of the internal rooms?  It's 2500 foot squared vs 3000 foot squared so a considerable difference.

Cheers.

Hereiam

It is the internal area of the house including all internal walls

mb80b60

Quote from: Hereiam on November 18, 2014, 12:07:24 PM
It is the internal area of the house including all internal walls

Ha!  So it's neither 2500 nor 3000.  Thank you Hereiam!

theskull1

Remembers its just a finger in the air
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

mb80b60

Another one on this.... basically we have a site with foundations already filled in in the Armagh area.  The foundations were laid about 7/8 years ago.  In the interim I believe there are some new regulations regarding the neccessity for a downstairs bedroom and shower.  Does anyone know if we will have to include these if the foundations are already laid?  Is it possible to alter foundation or ground floor bedrooms once they're laid?