Is the earlier Championship a success or failure?

Started by full moon, May 07, 2022, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earlier Championship

Success
60 (38%)
Failure
65 (41.1%)
Too early to say
33 (20.9%)

Total Members Voted: 158

AustinPowers

Quote from: joemamas on July 10, 2023, 04:42:04 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on July 10, 2023, 03:02:06 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 10, 2023, 02:54:20 PM
And Co Finals at Christmas?

County finals in Antrim are played in the middle of October, that hasn't changed with the compressed calendar

Rossfan is in denial regarding this fact, same with all counties.
Mayo out on July 1, last round on group club championship games on September 15th.  Final Mid October.

Is there any  point to this split  season then? 

Playing  the championship   To the theme of the Benny  hill show.  No replays,  penalties,  and no proper gaps or  build up between matches?

Rossfan

Roscommon Co Leages D1,2,3  round games finished last weekends.
Finals and relegation play offs next weekend or 2.
Before the split League Finals could be any time from November to February depending on when the rounds got completed.. Club Championship games were getting stuck in whatever they could. August games were being played at silly times to avoid the big County games on TV.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

shark

Posters here who don't see the benefits of the split season fall in to one of these buckets:
- has been so long since they've been involved in the club game that they can't remember how shit it was previously
- simply don't care much about the club game and are really only interested in the county game (at least Seafoid admits this!)
- from a county that doesn't have duel considerations so has never seen the full extend of what the condensed club calendar leads to

We only really know the intricacies of our own county's club championships. (I have a decent understanding on Dublin too as I live here, but have never been 'involved'). I am from a county which is genuinely duel ; a Division 1 hurling team where 80%+ of the players play football, and most at senior level. The only way (outside of reducing the number of games for club players) to run the championship previously was to start in April with 2 rounds, and then pause until the county teams were knocked out. So club players had to peak for 2 separate championship periods, the second of which they didn't have dates for until maybe 2 weeks prior. As I said above - it was shit. I'm involved now, albeit no longer as a player, and it is superb. We knew our championship dates in February (this would only have changed if Westmeath had made the 1/4 finals). There are no midweek championship games. The lads who play hurling have at least 7 days between championship games.

Sportacus

The minor semi-final is missed on a day like today.  That was a terrible decision in my opinion.  They were always part of the big day and were a platform for the young players.

Rossfan

Does that mean that none of last week's Minor Finalists are going to make it because they got no "platform"?
What the eff is a "platform" anyway?
Is it a game played before a few thousand mainly disinterested folks in Croke Park instead of 13 or 14k partisan followers in Armagh or Roscommon?

Bishops throwing in the ball used be part of big games one time.

seafoid

Quote from: shark on July 11, 2023, 10:42:14 AM
Posters here who don't see the benefits of the split season fall in to one of these buckets:
- has been so long since they've been involved in the club game that they can't remember how shit it was previously
- simply don't care much about the club game and are really only interested in the county game (at least Seafoid admits this!)
- from a county that doesn't have duel considerations so has never seen the full extend of what the condensed club calendar leads to

We only really know the intricacies of our own county's club championships. (I have a decent understanding on Dublin too as I live here, but have never been 'involved'). I am from a county which is genuinely duel ; a Division 1 hurling team where 80%+ of the players play football, and most at senior level. The only way (outside of reducing the number of games for club players) to run the championship previously was to start in April with 2 rounds, and then pause until the county teams were knocked out. So club players had to peak for 2 separate championship periods, the second of which they didn't have dates for until maybe 2 weeks prior. As I said above - it was shit. I'm involved now, albeit no longer as a player, and it is superb. We knew our championship dates in February (this would only have changed if Westmeath had made the 1/4 finals). There are no midweek championship games. The lads who play hurling have at least 7 days between championship games.
My  club was high achieving for a period in the late 90s and early 00s but as is the nature of things has fallen into relative mediocrity in recent years. If things changed I would of course be more interested.
It's important to make space for the clubs . This is more important than how individual people may feel about clubs.
My concern relates to lack of standardisation of county championships.  There also need to be a bit of give for the county system next year-maybe 3 or 4 weeks.

Sportacus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 16, 2023, 12:25:33 PM
Does that mean that none of last week's Minor Finalists are going to make it because they got no "platform"?
What the eff is a "platform" anyway?
Is it a game played before a few thousand mainly disinterested folks in Croke Park instead of 13 or 14k partisan followers in Armagh or Roscommon?

Bishops throwing in the ball used be part of big games one time.
Some traditions are more relevant than others.  Bishops throwing balls in was from a world that no longer exists. But I'd make a strong case for giving semi finalists and finalists the opportunity to play in Croke Park ahead of the Senior game. Those lucky enough to win an all Ireland minor and do the lap of honour after the game must have memories for a lifetime I'm sure. GAA sustains itself on certain traditions. This is one we threw away.
Personally I was at a lot of semifinals and always enjoyed the minor game, kept the programmes, watched out down the line for who came through at senior. Maybe just me then. (Don't know why it touched a nerve with you so much!).

seafoid

Always enjoyed watching the minors before All Ireland finals. I remember the losing Galway team in 1994 featuring Joyce, Donnellan and Scan. 4 years later Joyce a and Donnellan won the All ireland. I think
the tradition should be maintained. 

Rossfan

Times change, all sorts of things change with the times.... except for certain residents of the 6 Cos of course who still live in 17th Century🍊

I'd say the Derry and Galway Minors have good memories too!

AustinPowers

I thought the Tailteann final should have been played  on the Sunday. Playing it on a  Saturday was  a bit demeaning, especially as  the  curtain raiser on  the Sunday is the All Ireland  junior football final  (Kilkenny v New York , if you're interested)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AustinPowers on July 16, 2023, 02:58:46 PM
I thought the Tailteann final should have been played  on the Sunday. Playing it on a  Saturday was  a bit demeaning, especially as  the  curtain raiser on  the Sunday is the All Ireland  junior football final  (Kilkenny v New York , if you're interested)

It's played before the semi final ffs!

Is it demeaning for Dublin to play their game on the Saturday?

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Blowitupref

Kilkenny 1-9 New York 0-13 the result of the Junior AI final today.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

armaghniac

I still don't understand why the Ladies moved their season as well. THis weekend they have 4 QFs, these would get a lot of attention in 3 or 4 weeks time, but this weekend is rather crowded.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AustinPowers

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 16, 2023, 03:01:23 PM

I know that.  But playing it on a Sunday  gives more down  and Meath fans the opportunity to attend .  Or watch on tv.  Not everyone are able to  attend on Saturday afternoons  .  It just seemed  that the JFC was more important than  the Tailteann final as it  was on the Sunday. And how many Kilkenny  and New York fans would have   been  inconvenienced  by that final being on the Saturday?  Not too many

westbound

Quote from: AustinPowers on July 16, 2023, 07:43:04 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 16, 2023, 03:01:23 PM

I know that.  But playing it on a Sunday  gives more down  and Meath fans the opportunity to attend .  Or watch on tv.  Not everyone are able to  attend on Saturday afternoons  .  It just seemed  that the JFC was more important than  the Tailteann final as it  was on the Sunday. And how many Kilkenny  and New York fans would have   been  inconvenienced  by that final being on the Saturday?  Not too many

It might have inconvenienced some of the players though, when you consider the semifinal was on friday night!!