Declan Meehan Retires from Intercounty Football

Started by GaillimhIarthair, January 06, 2011, 12:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaillimhIarthair

One of Galway's best and favourite footballers for the past fifteen years, Declan Meehan announced his retirement on Tuesday night. He informed team manager Tomás Ó Flatharta of his decision at training in Loughgeorge.

Meehan had surgery on a shoulder injury recently and with a few months of rehab ahead he may have felt that he would have struggled to be right for the 2011 championship.

Meehan was one of the most popular footballers on the Galway panel with supporters, team-mates and numerous managers such as John O'Mahony, Peter Forde and Liam Sammon and he has enjoyed a glorious career since he made his debut under Bosco McDermott back in 1996.

The Caltra star won two all-Ireland medals with Galway in 1998 and 2001, and he was for a fair few years, one of the best wing-backs in the game. He was also honoured with All-Stars for his brilliance in both 2000 and 2001.

His fitness levels were legendary within the game and his stamina and pace often found wing-forwards marking him, as he bombed forward, rather than the other way around. His commitment to Galway's cause over the past fifteen years has been exemplary.

Few will forget the glorious goal he scored against Kerry in the All-Ireland final of 2000.

He was also a crucial player for Caltra in their drive to All-ireland success in 2004 and his displays with his club that season were astonishingly good.

Meehan also won an All-Ireland colleges medal lining out at centre-back with St Jarlath's college in 1994.

GalwayBayBoy

Great player in his day. Obviously wasn't quite the same in recent years but that's to be expected. Will have fond memories of him tearing up and down the wing for Galway. In 2000 and 2001 he was absolutely brilliant. I remember him turning up in the full-forward line to score a point against Meath in the 01 final when he could easily have went for goal (he was one on one with the keeper). So he could easily have scored goals in two successive All-Ireland finals if he wasn't so unselfish.

Best of luck to Deccie. Leaves only PJ left from 98.

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteFormer Footballer of the Year Declan Meehan has announced his inter-county retirement after 14 years in a Galway jersey.

The veteran Galway wing back, who won All-Ireland medals with Galway in 1998 and 2001, and All-Ireland club honours with Caltra in 2004, informed new Galway manager Tomas O Flatharta of his decision on Tuesday night.

A member of a famous Caltra and Galway football dynasty, Meehan has cited ongoing injury problems as his reason for quitting.

He told The Irish Examiner: "I will be 35 next week and nothing lasts forever. I have had a few niggling injuries over the past while and that helps to make up your mind.

"I really enjoyed my time playing with Galway and it was something I always loved doing. We had some fantastic years, with 1998 and 2001 the two obvious highlights, and winning the All-Ireland with my club, Caltra, is another wonderful memory I have.

"I was fortunate to play on some successful teams and with some terrific players like Paul Clancy, Padraic Joyce, Ja Fallon, Kevin Walsh, Sean Og de Paor and Kieran Fitzgerald to name just a few, and while we have not had as much success in the past few years, it has still been hugely enjoyable. I will miss it. I have no doubt about that."

A Hogan Cup medallist with St. Jarlath's College in 1994, Meehan was handed his Connacht SFC debut by Bosco McDermott two years later at wing forward. He won All-Star awards in 2000 and 2001 and was also Player of the Year in the latter year. He also represented Ireland in the International Rules series in 2002.

A brilliant attacking wing back, Meehan scored a memorable goal in the 2000 All-Ireland final replay against Kerry, which the Tribesmen lost.

seafoid

From a great Galway football family. It is a pity there aren't more of them.

Rossfan

Best wishes to him  (and relief too as Galway are further weakened )
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Rossfan on January 06, 2011, 07:24:20 PM
Best wishes to him  (and relief too as Galway are further weakened )

At this stage of his career I'm not sure Deccie is that big of a loss to be honest. Great player though he was. It was probably the right time for him to call it a day.

belleaqua

Best of luck to him, he'l still plough away with Caltra for a few years no doubt. A fantastic footballer, in fact I think he's rather under rated overall. Id only put Tomas O'Se ahead of him. He was like a 7th forward for a few years around the turn of the millenium. So small but tough as old boots.

Good point there about the chance to score in the Meath game in 01. Typical of him to do the right thing. Would have been a fantastic achievement to score a goal in two All Ireland Finals in a row from wing back! Got the point though. Unbelievable goal against Kerry in 00, whatever about individually it was arguably the best team goal ever.

Fittingly he also kicked the first point of the 04 Club final against An Gaeltacht in what is probably his personal highlight id imagine. Was some achievement for Caltra that time.

ross4life

He was a good one not sure who Galway will get in to replace him?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ross4life on January 06, 2011, 09:37:14 PM
He was a good one not sure who Galway will get in to replace him?

I'd say it will be Gary Sice who ended up playing in the forwards last year once Michael Meehan and Nicky Joyce were out injured but is probably more suited to wing-back.

RedandGreenSniper

A great wing-back and a good guy too. All the best to him, he owns Galway nothing. Mayo on the other hand . . .  :P
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

BennyHarp

Just youtubed his goal v Kerry in the All Ireland, I'd forgotten how good the build up was for that goal, ending with great vision for the final pass by Paul Clancy (I think) into Meehan and a superb finish! That was a class Galway team to watch.
That was never a square ball!!

ross matt

Outstanding player and sound man of the pitch too considering all he has achieved. Some medal haul. Pace and tremendous power for his size. Been with Galway during the glory years and the lean years of late. His goal in the 2000 final is unlikely to be matched. Will still be a serious club footballer for a good few years yet. Best of luck Deccie.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Good luck to Declan, great servant of the game. Caused us plenty of difficulties in his day.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

muppet

Quote from: belleaqua on January 06, 2011, 08:53:29 PM
Best of luck to him, he'l still plough away with Caltra for a few years no doubt. A fantastic footballer, in fact I think he's rather under rated overall. Id only put Tomas O'Se ahead of him. He was like a 7th forward for a few years around the turn of the millenium. So small but tough as old boots.

Good point there about the chance to score in the Meath game in 01. Typical of him to do the right thing. Would have been a fantastic achievement to score a goal in two All Ireland Finals in a row from wing back! Got the point though. Unbelievable goal against Kerry in 00, whatever about individually it was arguably the best team goal ever.

Fittingly he also kicked the first point of the 04 Club final against An Gaeltacht in what is probably his personal highlight id imagine. Was some achievement for Caltra that time.

At his best I wouldn't put anyone ahead of him. Great player.
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

A great player and always a joy to watch. That Galway team of the late 90's/early 2000's were a seriously special group and he stood out in that company.