Paul Kimmage

Started by imtommygunn, September 30, 2017, 10:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 02, 2017, 04:10:22 PM
Kimmage had a pop over Brendan O'Sullivan before and the whole handling of it and took Marc O'Sé apart in a debate on the Last Word I think. Personally I think he is right about how Dublin closed out the AI final, the problem though is not Dublin but the punishment, it doesn't fit the crime and Kieran Shannon addressed that well. Sport evolves but the GAA rule making process is archaic and doesn't evolve at the same rate. Kimmage makes one think, very strong in his convictions but it's all black and white and he never offers solutions.

Yep, agree with all that. I think the hackles go up when someone like Kimmage, with his background and campaigns on drugs in sport, takes on the Dubs about cynical play. He probably didn't mean it as such, but it can come across as if there's an equivalence there.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 02, 2017, 04:11:37 PM
Kimmage had a pop over Brendan O'Sullivan before and the whole handling of it and took Marc O'Sé apart in a debate on the Last Word I think. Personally I think he is right about how Dublin closed out the AI final, the problem though is not Dublin but the punishment, it doesn't fit the crime and Kieran Shannon addressed that well. Sport evolves but the GAA rule making process is archaic and doesn't evolve at the same rate. Kimmage makes one think, very strong in his convictions but it's all black and white and he never offers solutions.

Yep, agree with all that. I think the hackles go up when someone like Kimmage, with his background and campaigns on drugs in sport, takes on the Dubs about cynical play. He probably didn't mean it as such, but it can come across as if there's an equivalence there.
He was talking about cheating.
You can't win a football match by holding onto the ball and passing back to the goalie.  At least you couldn't before the AIF.

Kimmage is a Dubs fan BTW

http://www.independent.ie/sport/columnists/paul-kimmage/paul-kimmage-i-am-moved-to-tears-when-dublin-win-but-how-can-i-not-cheer-for-mayo-next-weekend-36116597.html
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 02, 2017, 05:03:23 PM
He is in his arse.
With all due respects AZ I would take his word over yours

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on October 02, 2017, 05:26:36 PM
He is in his arse.

What sort of a Dublin fan would hope Mayo would win?

tonto1888

Quote from: seafoid on October 02, 2017, 04:54:19 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 02, 2017, 04:11:37 PM

He was talking about cheating.
You can't win a football match by holding onto the ball and passing back to the goalie.  At least you couldn't before the AIF.

Kimmage is a Dubs fan BTW

http://www.independent.ie/sport/columnists/paul-kimmage/paul-kimmage-i-am-moved-to-tears-when-dublin-win-but-how-can-i-not-cheer-for-mayo-next-weekend-36116597.html

Mayo done the same thing against Tyrone last year

magpie seanie

Yeah - he can't call Dublin cheats unless he's willing to call everyone who employ cynical tactics the same. He's off his rocker, talking about something he knows f**k all about.

imtommygunn

Has he ever watched an ulster championship game? (Speaking as someone from ulster!) or worse... Watched schools football?

Dublin do have a bit of cynicism in them however you win nothing without it and they are far from the worst.

macdanger2

Good discussion to be had but to have it properly, it would need to be de-personalised. In this instance, it was Dublin but the problem at hand has nothing to do with Dublin or Lee Keegan or whoever's face you want to put on it.

The fact is that this sort of thing is cheating the same way diving is cheating but it's somehow more acceptable. Very difficult to pull the game back from that without some sort of drastic rule change.

On the interview itself, Kimmage destroyed Fitz as evidenced by Fitz's repeated references to kimmage being a drugs cheat. That said, Kimmage's style always comes across as shouty / angry even though he usually has excellent points to make. The upside for Fitz is that this podcast is likely to be his most listened to yet, no such thing as bad publicity and all that.

sid waddell

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 02, 2017, 06:21:48 PM
He is in his arse.

I'm from Dublin and followed Dublin from 1987 to not that long ago, and still attend their matches, as it's what I've always done and I have a lot of social capital invested in attending them in terms of meeting friends and relatives, but I wanted Mayo to win the final, as I did in last year's finals and the 2015 semi-finals.

So it's perfectly possible to want your county to lose.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: sid waddell on October 02, 2017, 10:53:19 PM
He is in his arse.

I'm from Dublin and followed Dublin from 1987 to not that long ago, and still attend their matches, as it's what I've always done and I have a lot of social capital invested in attending them in terms of meeting friends and relatives, but I wanted Mayo to win the final, as I did in last year's finals and the 2015 semi-finals.

You are no longer a fan or supporter of the Dublin senior football team then which i believe is the same with Paul Kimmage though i have my doubts if he was one to begin with.

Supporter --------- a person who is actively interested in and wishes success for a particular sports team

Fan short for fanatic ----------- a person with an obsessive interest in and enthusiasm for a particular sports team

seafoid

He is in his arse.

I know a few Chelsea fans who have a soft spot for Liverpool.

AZOffaly

Yes, and I have a soft spot for Coventry City, Connacht Rugby, and Limerick and Waterford hurling, and Mayogodhelpus, Kerry, and a few other counties. But when they play my team, or my county I never want them to win.

galwayman

Quote from: sid waddell on October 02, 2017, 10:53:19 PM
He is in his arse.

Are you actually serious? I cannot understand that mentality at all. Kimmage wanted Mayo to win alright but he isn't a Dublin fan. He's a casual observer. He isn't a gaa head. Anybody who follows their team with a passion will never want them to lose.
We might have gone through several periods over the years where we were shit but I can honestly say i never once ever wanted the Galway footballers to lose any game.

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 03, 2017, 09:13:01 AM
Yes, and I have a soft spot for Coventry City, Connacht Rugby, and Limerick and Waterford hurling, and Mayogodhelpus, Kerry, and a few other counties. But when they play my team, or my county I never want them to win.

I'm the same AZ whenever Man Ure play any team I will back that team 100% to beat Utd until the final whistle!!