Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 29, 2019, 01:52:23 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 29, 2019, 10:48:26 AM
Quote from: whitey on January 28, 2019, 09:40:50 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 28, 2019, 09:36:07 PM
Quote from: Dolph1 on January 28, 2019, 03:15:04 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 26, 2019, 04:42:03 PM
Just saw that darling of the left, Democratic Congresswoman Ilham Omar once lobbied for lenient sentences for Somali men who tried to go to join ISIS in Syria back in 2015

You do have to wonder at the people who voted her into power.

So what's your policies?
Helping ISIS.

Seems to be a growing trend on the left.

Fun fact: More Americans were killed by angry, right-wing extremists last year than by ISIS. They must be getting radicalized by a constant diet of Fox News.

Correct.......And if a "rising star" of the Republican party wrote a letter to a judge looking for a lenient sentence for these people because thy were misunderstood and victims themselves, Id be calling for them to step down also

She said they were "misunderstood" and "victims"?

Draw your own conclusions

Ilhan Omar's letter to Judge Davis, dated Nov. 8

Honorable Judge Davis,

As you undoubtedly deliberate with great caution the sentencing of nine recently convicted Somali-American men, I bring to your attention the ramifications of sentencing young men who made a consequential mistake to decades in federal prison. Incarcerating 20-year-old men for 30 or 40 years is essentially a life sentence. Society will have no expectations of the to be 50 or 60-year-old released prisoners; it will view them with distrust and revulsion. Such punitive measures not only lack efficacy, they inevitably create an environment in which extremism can flourish, aligning with the presupposition of terrorist recruitment: "Americans do not accept you and continue to trivialize your value. Instead of being a nobody, be a martyr."

The best deterrent to fanaticism is a system of compassion. We must alter our attitude and approach; if we truly want to affect change, we should refocus our efforts on inclusion and rehabilitation. A long-term prison sentence for one who chose violence to combat direct marginalization is a statement that our justice system misunderstands the guilty. A restorative approach to justice assesses the lure of criminality and addresses it.

The desire to commit violence is not inherent to people -- it is the consequences of systematic alienation; people seek violent solutions when the process established for enacting change is inaccessible to them. Fueled by disaffection turned to malice, if the guilty were willing to kill and be killed fighting perceived injustice, imagine the consequence of them hearing, "I believe you can be rehabilitated. I want you to become part of my community, and together we will thrive." We use this form of distributive justice for patients with chemical dependencies; treatment and societal reintegration. The most effective penance is making these men ambassadors of reform.

The restorative approach provides a long-term solution – though the self-declared Islamic State may soon suffer defeat, their radical approach to change-making will continue as it has throughout history – by criminalizing the undergirding construct rather than its predisposed victims. Therein, this ruling can set a precedent and has the potential to be a landmark case in addressing extremism.

Thank you for your careful attention,

Ilhan Omar
State Representative-Elect – MN 60B

I don't see any labeling of them as "misunderstood".

I see an appeal that misguided young idiots not be just discarded on the trash heap of life in prison, but given a chance to rehabilitate during a 15 year or whatever sentence. Again, unless I'm misunderstanding, these guys hadn't done anything yet beyond trying to get over there.

Its a reasonable, defensible, position, IMO.

J70

Quote from: Dolph1 on January 29, 2019, 12:04:36 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 29, 2019, 11:48:16 AM
Lock them up for leaving water out for people in a desert area where thousands have died?

How very christian!

But then again these people are not human. They're just statistics. Same as those little kids being ripped away from their mothers.

Ridiculous J70. Do it the legal way and you don't have people dying in the desert or family separations. They bring it on themselves but that's someone else's fault. The victim mentality is rampant.

It IS ridiculous that someone could be locked up for taking pity on illegal immigrants and giving them WATER so they won't die in the desert.

And the family separations ARE someone else's fault. That someone is Trump and his minions.

Dolph1

Just saw that darling of the left, Democratic Congresswoman Ilham Omar once lobbied for lenient sentences for Somali men who tried to go to join ISIS in Syria back in 2015

So what's your policies?
Helping ISIS.

Fun fact: More Americans were killed by angry, right-wing extremists last year than by ISIS. They must be getting radicalized by a constant diet of Fox News.

Correct.......And if a "rising star" of the Republican party wrote a letter to a judge looking for a lenient sentence for these people because thy were misunderstood and victims themselves, Id be calling for them to step down also

Honorable Judge Davis,

As you undoubtedly deliberate with great caution the sentencing of nine recently convicted Somali-American men, I bring to your attention the ramifications of sentencing young men who made a consequential mistake to decades in federal prison. Incarcerating 20-year-old men for 30 or 40 years is essentially a life sentence. Society will have no expectations of the to be 50 or 60-year-old released prisoners; it will view them with distrust and revulsion. Such punitive measures not only lack efficacy, they inevitably create an environment in which extremism can flourish, aligning with the presupposition of terrorist recruitment: "Americans do not accept you and continue to trivialize your value. Instead of being a nobody, be a martyr."

The best deterrent to fanaticism is a system of compassion. We must alter our attitude and approach; if we truly want to affect change, we should refocus our efforts on inclusion and rehabilitation. A long-term prison sentence for one who chose violence to combat direct marginalization is a statement that our justice system misunderstands the guilty. A restorative approach to justice assesses the lure of criminality and addresses it.

The desire to commit violence is not inherent to people -- it is the consequences of systematic alienation; people seek violent solutions when the process established for enacting change is inaccessible to them. Fueled by disaffection turned to malice, if the guilty were willing to kill and be killed fighting perceived injustice, imagine the consequence of them hearing, "I believe you can be rehabilitated. I want you to become part of my community, and together we will thrive." We use this form of distributive justice for patients with chemical dependencies; treatment and societal reintegration. The most effective penance is making these men ambassadors of reform.

The restorative approach provides a long-term solution – though the self-declared Islamic State may soon suffer defeat, their radical approach to change-making will continue as it has throughout history – by criminalizing the undergirding construct rather than its predisposed victims. Therein, this ruling can set a precedent and has the potential to be a landmark case in addressing extremism.

Ilhan Omar

So she wants to give her own lot a "get out of jail free" card. How convenient.
So what age are you supposed to be responsible for your own actions?

More evidence of how crazy the left is.

If you want a good laugh watch reporters at the women's march last week. The level of ignorance is stunning. Ask them a question and they repeat all the MSNBC and CNN talking points exactly. Animal farm indeed.

Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again

heganboy

Foxy,

I know you can read, so this is willful miscomprehension.

Let it go, try and be a decent human
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

whitey

Quote from: J70 on January 29, 2019, 02:13:38 PM

So what's your policies?
Helping ISIS.

Honorable Judge Davis,

Ilhan Omar

I see an appeal that misguided young idiots not be just discarded on the trash heap of life in prison, but given a chance to rehabilitate during a 15 year or whatever sentence. Again, unless I'm misunderstanding, these guys hadn't done anything yet beyond trying to get over there.

Believe what you want

its there in black and white if you want to see it

"a statement that our justice system misunderstands the guilty"

Dolph1

Quote from: J70 on January 29, 2019, 02:16:42 PM
Lock them up for leaving water out for people in a desert area where thousands have died?

How very christian!

But then again these people are not human. They're just statistics. Same as those little kids being ripped away from their mothers.

Ridiculous J70. Do it the legal way and you don't have people dying in the desert or family separations. They bring it on themselves but that's someone else's fault. The victim mentality is rampant.

It IS ridiculous that someone could be locked up for taking pity on illegal immigrants and giving them WATER so they won't die in the desert.

And the family separations ARE someone else's fault. That someone is Trump and his minions.

They are breaking the law. Those crossing the desert and those helping them cross. It's called human trafficking, whatever form it takes including leaving supplies.

I'm not going into the child separation. We've done this before. The parents put them in that predicament, not Trump.

If you're being honest this isn't asylum seekers, it's economic migration. How many people can fit and maintain a healthy society or does the left actually care (apart from getting these new voters)?

sid waddell

In Trump's America, poultry workers have to wear to nappies because they aren't allowed toilet breaks.

Fighting for the people, yeah!

Or something.

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 29, 2019, 02:43:39 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 29, 2019, 02:13:38 PM

So what's your policies?
Helping ISIS.

Honorable Judge Davis,

Ilhan Omar

Believe what you want

its there in black and white if you want to see it

"a statement that our justice system misunderstands the guilty"

I stand corrected. I missed that.

Doesn't change my opinion though. That is still a reasonable appeal.

Dolph1

Quote from: sid waddell on January 29, 2019, 03:26:33 PM
In Trump's America, poultry workers have to wear to nappies because they aren't allowed toilet breaks.

Or something.

Eamonnca1/Sid
This was happening during Barack Hussein Obama's presidency as well. What's your point?

or maybe it's more snowflake outrage ;)

J70

Quote from: Dolph1 on January 29, 2019, 03:10:42 PM

How very christian!

They are breaking the law. Those crossing the desert and those helping them cross. It's called human trafficking, whatever form it takes including leaving supplies.

I'm not going into the child separation. We've done this before. The parents put them in that predicament, not Trump.

If you're being honest this isn't asylum seekers, it's economic migration. How many people can fit and maintain a healthy society or does the left actually care (apart from getting these new voters)?

Their parents brought them to the border. Trump SEPARATED them. He had no need or reason to. Other presidents didn't do it. And he subsequently STOPPED when he and his minions got caught and couldn't justify it!

As for those leaving water... those migrants are going to cross anyway. Leaving water out so they will not die is basic human decency. There is nothing stopping the CBP deploying resources to the area to pick them up. Only a twisted, sick mind who sees those people as subhuman would condone prosecuting someone leaving out water.

As for the "recruiting new voters" nonsense, someone is going to have to explain how THAT works?

1.   If it is a Democratic strategy, it must be based on some deluded, long term strategy which is completely at odds with the election-in-two-years reality of American politics. None of these people vote or are going to vote. This is not Boss Tweed's mid-19th century Manhattan.
2.   The GOP is the party that makes hay on the issue of illegal immigration, scaring their base. Trump got elected on it.
3.   There is absolutely NOTHING stopping the GOP adopting a humane policy and trying to win over some of these supposed masses of "new voters" which are apparently up for grabs.

J70

Quote from: Dolph1 on January 29, 2019, 03:42:26 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on January 29, 2019, 03:26:33 PM

Or something.

Eamonnca1/Sid
This was happening during Barack Hussein Obama's presidency as well. What's your point?

or maybe it's more snowflake outrage ;)

Yes, it happened back then too.

But which president and party sides with big business and which advocates for promulgation and strict enforcement of wage/hour and workplace safety regulations?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on January 29, 2019, 03:52:38 PM

How very christian!

Their parents brought them to the border. Trump SEPARATED them. He had no need or reason to. Other presidents didn't do it. And he subsequently STOPPED when he and his minions got caught and couldn't justify it!

As for those leaving water... those migrants are going to cross anyway. Leaving water out so they will not die is basic human decency. There is nothing stopping the CBP deploying resources to the area to pick them up. Only a twisted, sick mind who sees those people as subhuman would condone prosecuting someone leaving out water.

As for the "recruiting new voters" nonsense, someone is going to have to explain how THAT works?

1.   If it is a Democratic strategy, it must be based on some deluded, long term strategy which is completely at odds with the election-in-two-years reality of American politics. None of these people vote or are going to vote. This is not Boss Tweed's mid-19th century Manhattan.
2.   The GOP is the party that makes hay on the issue of illegal immigration, scaring their base. Trump got elected on it.
3.   There is absolutely NOTHING stopping the GOP adopting a humane policy and trying to win over some of these supposed masses of "new voters" which are apparently up for grabs.

Weve discussed this before

Congressional representation is based on total population, not total legal population.

Electoral college representation based on number of congressmen/women

By flooding your state with illegals you are indirectly rewarded at the ballot box.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/03/census-questions-illegal-immigrants-give-cities-political-power/

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 29, 2019, 04:35:34 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 29, 2019, 03:52:38 PM

How very christian!

Weve discussed this before

Congressional representation is based on total population, not total legal population.

Electoral college representation based on number of congressmen/women

By flooding your state with illegals you are indirectly rewarded at the ballot box.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/03/census-questions-illegal-immigrants-give-cities-political-power/

So its NOT new voters?

I've posted this before. http://www.pewhispanic.org/interactives/unauthorized-immigrants/

Three of the top six states by per capita illegal immigrants voted for Trump.

J70

And again, I ask, if it is so easy to attract voters AND increase your congressional representation by advocating for immigrants, what is stopping the GOP doing the same?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on January 29, 2019, 04:53:52 PM
And again, I ask, if it is so easy to attract voters AND increase your congressional representation by advocating for immigrants, what is stopping the GOP doing the same?

Inviting and encouraging people in to come in and go on benefits (which the Democrats are doing) wouldn't sit well with the Republican base