The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Dolph1 on January 30, 2019, 11:52:36 AM
I see the left quickly put the knife to the liberal reporter Tom Brokaw for saying that Hispanics should learn English in order to assimilate in the USA. For not regurgitating the democrat sound bites he got called horrible names then was forced to come out like a scolded child and apologise for his crime.

So very soon speaking English will be a hate crime? It's hard to know what the liberal police will target next.

Is there evidence that Hispanics are not "working hard" at assimilation or not having their children learn English? Are they doing less than previous waves of immigrants from Germany or Ireland or Italy or Eastern Europe or Puerto Rico or DR?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on January 30, 2019, 01:06:45 PM
I see the left quickly put the knife to the liberal reporter Tom Brokaw for saying that Hispanics should learn English in order to assimilate in the USA. For not regurgitating the democrat sound bites he got called horrible names then was forced to come out like a scolded child and apologise for his crime.

So very soon speaking English will be a hate crime? It's hard to know what the liberal police will target next.

Is there evidence that Hispanics are not "working hard" at assimilation or not having their children learn English? Are they doing less than previous waves of immigrants from Germany or Ireland or Italy or Eastern Europe or Puerto Rico or DR?

haha...I think one would refer to it as a lazy throw away comment.

I think I know what he meant, but he didnt articulate it correctly.

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 30, 2019, 01:32:10 PM

I didn't see the piece. I looked it up after Foxy's "comment" here.

What was he trying to say, in your opinion?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on January 30, 2019, 01:37:29 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 30, 2019, 01:32:10 PM

I didn't see the piece. I looked it up after Foxy's "comment" here.

What was he trying to say, in your opinion?

Its actually hard to articulate what I think he tried to say

I think it is a fair observation that caucasian Americans view Hispanic Americans as not quite as American as them. What can we do as a nation to remove this perception?  What can the Hispanic community do to ensure they have their rightful place at the table....a place theyve earned

When we look at Chinese Americans and Indian Americans, within one generation of arriving they seem to be fully accepted and assimilated whereas that doesnt seem to be the case for hispanics

Assimilate is/was the wrong word to use.

Dolph1

The fact that you targeted the children of the Hispanic illegal immigrants rather than the current wave of illegal immigrants themselves would lead you to also think that they can't be bothered to try.

What i'm getting at is the current trend of attacking US norms, like speaking English, for which Tom Brokaw got hauled over the coals for speaking up for. This will be a # in the near future (i.e English is a hate language etc.).

Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again

J70

Quote from: Dolph1 on January 30, 2019, 02:31:25 PM

The fact that you targeted the children of the Hispanic illegal immigrants rather than the current wave of illegal immigrants themselves would lead you to also think that they can't be bothered to try.

What i'm getting at is the current trend of attacking US norms, like speaking English, for which Tom Brokaw got hauled over the coals for speaking up for. This will be a # in the near future (i.e English is a hate language etc.).

1.   I didn't "target" children; Brokaw's comment specifically addressed teaching children English. Which is a ridiculous criticism of a problem that doesn't exist (if it does, go ahead and show us where). These kids go to public school. They learn to speak English. English as a second language programs are all over the place to help them in the schools. Not to mention, what kind of parent WOULDN'T want their kids, growing up in the US, to speak English? They can still speak their native language at home. I live in Queens, about the most diverse county in the US. At my son's school, I see kids of all races speaking perfect English with American accents, yet talking to their parents or grandparents who pick them up in Chinese, Korean, Polish, Spanish etc. etc.

2.   Speaking English in America is "under attack"? Where? And by whom? I live here. I've never heard anything remotely like this. Next piece of fever dream paranoia you're going to throw at us is that "English is hate speech" is part of the Democratic Party platform.

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on January 30, 2019, 03:20:20 PM

1.   I didn't "target" children; Brokaw's comment specifically addressed teaching children English. Which is a ridiculous criticism of a problem that doesn't exist (if it does, go ahead and show us where). These kids go to public school. They learn to speak English. English as a second language programs are all over the place to help them in the schools. Not to mention, what kind of parent WOULDN'T want their kids, growing up in the US, to speak English? They can still speak their native language at home. I live in Queens, about the most diverse county in the US. At my son's school, I see kids of all races speaking perfect English with American accents, yet talking to their parents or grandparents who pick them up in Chinese, Korean, Polish, Spanish etc. etc.

2.   Speaking English in America is "under attack"? Where? And by whom? I live here. I've never heard anything remotely like this. Next piece of fever dream paranoia you're going to throw at us is that "English is hate speech" is part of the Democratic Party platform.
if the kids parents are spainish speaking only and don't speak English at home how could they speak English when they enter the public school system? And in a place like California how many kids per class enter schools like this ? A lot I'm sure and it can't be a good situation and a reason California public schools are some of the worst in America even though we are paying huge taxes here

J70

Quote from: Gmac on January 30, 2019, 03:58:27 PM

if the kids parents are spainish speaking only and don't speak English at home how could they speak English when they enter the public school system? And in a place like California how many kids per class enter schools like this ? A lot I'm sure and it can't be a good situation and a reason California public schools are some of the worst in America even though we are paying huge taxes here

That's why, as I said, schools have ESL programmes.

If CA needs to improve on how they're managed, that's an issue for them.

But it doesn't mean that Hispanic immigrants are not working hard enough to assimilate or make sure their kids grow up speaking English.

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on January 30, 2019, 04:07:26 PM
Quote from: Gmac on January 30, 2019, 03:58:27 PM

That's why, as I said, schools have ESL programmes.

If CA needs to improve on how they're managed, that's an issue for them.

But it doesn't mean that Hispanic immigrants are not working hard enough to assimilate or make sure their kids grow up speaking English.
the elephant in the room is one million kids are going to public schools who have parents who are here illegally there's millions of people in California illegally who do not contribute tax dollars to government run or state run bodies , something has to be done to get these people to contribute to the resources that they use everyday , and if they are too poor to contribute what the hell do they want to be here for in the first place .

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Gmac on January 30, 2019, 05:22:21 PM
the elephant in the room is one million kids are going to public schools who have parents who are here illegally there's millions of people in California illegally who do not contribute tax dollars to government run or state run bodies , something has to be done to get these people to contribute to the resources that they use everyday , and if they are too poor to contribute what the hell do they want to be here for in the first place .

False. They pay payroll tax plus the same indirect taxes as the rest of us.

Eamonnca1

Yes. Absolutely.

In fact I would go as far as to say that your very existence is a hate crime, you degenerate conservative troll.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: whitey on January 30, 2019, 02:07:19 PM

I think it is a fair observation that caucasian Americans view Hispanic Americans as not quite as American as them.

Sounds like every other wave of immigration that ever entered the US. What you're saying now was once said about Germans, Italians, Irish, just about everyone.

What can we do as a nation to remove this perception? 
Stop watching Fox News.

QuoteWhat can the Hispanic community do to ensure they have their rightful place at the table....a place theyve earned

Vote.

QuoteWhen we look at Chinese Americans and Indian Americans, within one generation of arriving they seem to be fully accepted and assimilated whereas that doesnt seem to be the case for hispanics

Citation needed.

Gmac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 30, 2019, 05:28:03 PM
Quote from: Gmac on January 30, 2019, 05:22:21 PM

False. They pay payroll tax plus the same indirect taxes as the rest of us.
how many guys picking fruit or working construction are on payroll?
They pay sales tax like everyone else

whitey

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 30, 2019, 05:32:09 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 30, 2019, 02:07:19 PM

I think it is a fair observation that caucasian Americans view Hispanic Americans as not quite as American as them.

Sounds like every other wave of immigration that ever entered the US. What you're saying now was once said about Germans, Italians, Irish, just about everyone.

What can we do as a nation to remove this perception? 
Stop watching Fox News.

QuoteWhat can the Hispanic community do to ensure they have their rightful place at the table....a place theyve earned

Vote.

QuoteWhen we look at Chinese Americans and Indian Americans, within one generation of arriving they seem to be fully accepted and assimilated whereas that doesnt seem to be the case for hispanics

Citation needed.

Well Tom Brokaw doesnt think so

Dolph1

The only reason main stream media lost their minds about Tom Brokaw's comment is because he highlighted yet another issue with the left's big lie about integration and unity.
Judging by the previous position shifts of the democrats we'll all be singing Los Lobos songs in the next 10 years.
Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again