Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: Cuan12 on July 24, 2018, 09:25:17 PM
Paddy Tally for manager , let him pick his own team, proven record , wants a go , give him a chance , maybe Stephen Poacher might be asked to help but whoever the new manager wants on his back room team , we should as a county support his judgement , not like the treatment handed out to Jim McCorry by the county executive.
Question for all that read this forum , after the negative rubbish Danny Hughes wrote about our county, why is he on the selection panel, also what the f. K is Jack Devenny doing on it, there are enough good experienced football men in Down who are far more capable than that p***k.
What does he know about Down football other than antagonise football clubs.
It would drive you to despair !!

f**k me. Really, genuinely, f**k me. Have you even thought about this at all?

Danny Hughes has played against or managed against every team in the top 3 divisions in Down over the past 3 years. So if there is a team that is unusually well set up or well motivated, he will be aware of which local managers helped this happen. On top of that, his inclusion is a very clear statement from the county board that this isn't a yes man exercise. Which let's be honest, we all want.

Then there's Jack. A man who spent half a decade running the QUB club. Apart from the obvious direct bonus that he went through a similar process appointing Sigerson managers every year and knows how this shit works, think about this. As a direct result of that tenure he has a network of relationships across the province, in every county, to point him in the direction of promising and interested coaches. And f**k me is also vice chair of our county.

I'm not expecting a response to this as whatever you come up with will be absolute bull shit and unnecessarily personal towards men who've given more to this county than you ever will. But if you do want to talk about... first tell me who the f**k is better qualified in Down football to sit on this committee?

Smurfy123

Irish's News interview was extremely embarrassing to say the very least but anyway it is what it is. Chairman stuck in the back of the Irish news beggers belief

Shane Mulholland would be a decent appoint after guiding Rostrevor to intermediate success and had a good spell at minor level so he has some experience and I see he also won the Down under 14 league with his club. He obviously knows what success is. Had a good intercounty career too

Cuan12

The following are better qualified, Paul Lambe - given years of service to Down , knows the game inside out, Paddy ORourke - passionate about Down football and doesn't go spouting in the local press and by the way knows how to lead
Rodger Morgan - former chairman of Kilcoo and isn't a yes man but knows his football
Donald King - successful solicitor and has all the contacts and played for QUB and knows his football
Barney McAleenan- good footballer , great coach
I could go on but the point I'm making is Liam Doyle , Trixie , I can have but unless the selection process and panel is right we are heading for another wrong appointment, I like many others in this county have no faith in the county secretary and the vice chairman, heaven help us if the former remains and the latter becomes chairman.

thewobbler

You do realise that you've listed a bunch of people who are genuinely nowhere nearly as qualified as Jack Devaney to headhunt a a county senior football manager?

Try not to make things personal when you're assessing a situation. It help nobody.

Cuan12

You for real Wobbler , how is he better qualified than Paddy ORourke for instance , all Ireland winning captain, managed club and county teams, what has Jack achieved in his playing and managerial career ?
I'm not making this personal I'm saying the make up of this selection panel is wrong and I'm not the only only who thinks this.

thewobbler

Quote from: Cuan12 on July 24, 2018, 10:51:04 PM
You for real Wobbler , how is he better qualified than Paddy ORourke for instance , all Ireland winning captain, managed club and county teams, what has Jack achieved in his playing and managerial career ?
I'm not making this personal I'm saying the make up of this selection panel is wrong and I'm not the only only who thinks this.

Paddy is what, around 58 years old, runs his own business, and is a devoted Burren and Down man. How big would you think his network is among the 30 and 40 year olds that dominate the managerial networks? How many players and managers across the county, outside of D1, do you think he's be familiar with?

This is no criticism of PoR by the way. But as mentioned, he's late 50s, and he has enough going in life to allow his finger to be on another pulse.

Winning Sam almost 30 years ago doesn't change that. If it did, we might as well add the remaining members of 68 to the selection panel while we are at it.

Smurfy123

Not a bad mix making up the selection committee most know a bit about football with the exception of one man on it. Would the general public be happy with Mulholland?

Cuan12

Only problem with Shane is that his tenure in the minor managership ended prematurely due to a lapse in judgement, personally I would have no objection if he was involved in some capacity, similarly the likes of Paul Duffin would be a good member of the back room staff.
Getting back to Wobbler , your full of b s , to say all the inter county managers are aged between 30 and 40 is a bit wide of the mark, managers of Dublin, Galway , Mayo , Tyrone contradict that statement , nothing beats experience, Jack might be an able administrator but he is not qualified to make any call on a suitable candidate.
As I have said before there are a lot of people who have no faith in this selection committee and finally while they might not be actively involved in the county scene the opinions of the likes of Sean oNeill and Paddy Doherty from the 60 s era may not be as trivial as you suggest.Too many times we have got this part of the process wrong resulting in the wrong appointment, time will tell,but Wobbler your a Richard head to be so dismissive of PoR , don't forget the work he has done in setting up development squads which is starting to show results.

thewobbler

Quote from: Cuan12 on July 25, 2018, 07:03:48 AM
Only problem with Shane is that his tenure in the minor managership ended prematurely due to a lapse in judgement, personally I would have no objection if he was involved in some capacity, similarly the likes of Paul Duffin would be a good member of the back room staff.
Getting back to Wobbler , your full of b s , to say all the inter county managers are aged between 30 and 40 is a bit wide of the mark, managers of Dublin, Galway , Mayo , Tyrone contradict that statement , nothing beats experience, Jack might be an able administrator but he is not qualified to make any call on a suitable candidate.
As I have said before there are a lot of people who have no faith in this selection committee and finally while they might not be actively involved in the county scene the opinions of the likes of Sean oNeill and Paddy Doherty from the 60 s era may not be as trivial as you suggest.Too many times we have got this part of the process wrong resulting in the wrong appointment, time will tell,but Wobbler your a Richard head to be so dismissive of PoR , don't forget the work he has done in setting up development squads which is starting to show results.

Walsh, if he's 50, it's by a day or two.
Rochford would maybe have just about hit 40.
Gavin has a few years yet to his half century.

Are you trying to prove my point or go against it?

I never dismissed O'Rourke, I just don't see how being an All Ireland winning captain 30 years ago makes him a suitable headhunter in the modern game. The shortlist of suitable candidates within our county couldn't be any shorter. Knowledge and connections that expand beyond our boundaries is essential. Paddy may have this, he even may have it in abundance. If so, get him on board. But don't get him on board because he captained an All Ireland team.

Smurfy123

I don't think he dismisses POR but he did say he has to much on his plate already. Certainly new modern men picking it is no harm. Lads with all due respect to SM but he would not be fit to manage this Down team. His minor days were a complete disaster from the word go in terms of missing training not winning a match poor training  and finally the bus event. Rostrevor win the intermediate after beating nobody on route. They have now went from strength to strength this year under Copeland with the players suggesting that it's a far better regime and 100 times more professional. I was taking the piss when I mentioned him along with McEntee Tally McIvor Moran and the rest. What in God's name have we become as a county. Poacher on his own would have gained more credibility. What was his record as minor boss btw? Q the backlash from wobbler whom is a fantastic poster btw.
SM can certainly talk the talk but can't walk the walk. Let's call a spade a spade here no doubt wobbler will feel very different.

downjim

I hope some of the names threw about are piss takes 😂

For my worth I don't think Mulholland and Poacher would be a bad appointment. Not great but would relate to the younger generation.

Well done to a great Burren Minor team on winning the league last night. A great performance.

Lecale Gael

Burren minors looked very good. Certs for the championship too. Good game of football. nr 7 and 11 stand outs for them. a lot of good footballers on show, both teams

I see mayobridge have moved up for the minor championship

2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

befair

Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 24, 2018, 11:10:45 PM
Not a bad mix making up the selection committee most know a bit about football with the exception of one man on it. Would the general public be happy with Mulholland?
As I've said before, winning the intermediate championship with Rostrevor wouldn't be evidence on any great managerial skills. I think we need someone with a bigger rep who will attract all the best players back to the county team

supersub

Quote from: befair on July 25, 2018, 03:13:52 PM
As I've said before, winning the intermediate championship with Rostrevor wouldn't be evidence on any great managerial skills. I think we need someone with a bigger rep who will attract all the best players back to the county team

It's more than Eamon Burns had won!!

Mike Tyson

Quote from: befair on July 25, 2018, 03:13:52 PM

Would agree, if it is, why are the Ulster Intermediate winning management teams of Warrenpoint & Loughinisland not being thrown in the hat too?