Mortgages - Help!

Started by Tony Baloney, May 20, 2008, 05:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

I dunno  :o

Put into an ISA of some sort (advise needed on what fund(s) to choose)
or
Salary Sacrifice into a pension and benefit from not incurring income tax on the investment.

If the mortgage rate is pants in 4 years time, then the ISA avenue could be used to pay off a chunk at that point
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

seafoid

I don't think returns are going to be much more than they were over the last 5 years and they weren't great.
Because you have a lot of volatility.

If you want to make money hold cash and buy stuff when the market crashes.
You could have made 40% in 2020 doing this.

Otherwise if that's too scary invest in staples that people have to buy
https://www.cnbc.com/video/2022/10/12/the-importance-of-pricing-power-for-consumer-staples.html
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

The Trap

Can you change your mortgage to interest only? I tried with Danske Bank on mortgage LTV approx 50% and they wouldn't do it..stuck on a variable rate at the moment due to personal circumstances.

quit yo jibbajabba

some do and some dont Trap.Danske be among the more conservative type of lender so no surprise but elsewhere you possibly could have

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on October 13, 2022, 03:31:02 PM
I don't think returns are going to be much more than they were over the last 5 years and they weren't great.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2022/10/12/the-importance-of-pricing-power-for-consumer-staples.html

Buying shares in things that are used everyday and needed?

Like nappies for instance?

Was going to start a thread on "Are you at the finishing line or what's your plan to get there?"

Love my job but 15 years minimum before I get to the old retirement age never mind the current one leaves you worried enough if you are covered!!

Need a income during retirement that is better than the bog standard pension which in truth is all I have, I've multiple pensions that don't add up to shit, so its either live off her pension or start investing in something with a return better than saving, which I'm crap at
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JohnDenver

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2022, 08:51:11 AM

Was going to start a thread on "Are you at the finishing line or what's your plan to get there?"

Love my job but 15 years minimum before I get to the old retirement age never mind the current one leaves you worried enough if you are covered!!

Need a income during retirement that is better than the bog standard pension which in truth is all I have, I've multiple pensions that don't add up to shit, so its either live off her pension or start investing in something with a return better than saving, which I'm crap at

Surely you will have better than the bog standard state pension if you have multiple pensions?

Also - are you planning a lot of travel or other activities when retired that would require a bigger income?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JohnDenver on October 14, 2022, 09:01:18 AM

Surely you will have better than the bog standard state pension if you have multiple pensions?

Also - are you planning a lot of travel or other activities when retired that would require a bigger income?

Multiple shit pensions to be fair.. one for 11 years in the Yard, which I'm let to believe has went to crap, 2 years in one company, different three year ones in a few others and a basic pension in my current job..

Yes holidaying would be there and not having to wait on the NHS to sort me out when I need it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

In a recession people still buy food and drink and other essentials and small treats. They still go to hurling matches.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2022, 09:09:45 AM
Quote from: JohnDenver on October 14, 2022, 09:01:18 AM

Multiple shit pensions to be fair.. one for 11 years in the Yard, which I'm let to believe has went to crap, 2 years in one company, different three year ones in a few others and a basic pension in my current job..

Yes holidaying would be there and not having to wait on the NHS to sort me out when I need it

Private pensions are really really shit. Unless you have hundreds of k in them then you're not going to get huge addition from them on retirement.

screenexile

Kwasi on the way out . . . who the f**k else wants that job??

Armagh18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 13, 2022, 01:36:06 PM
Again anyone who can afford a £400K house can well afford the hike, and if they couldn't then that's on them, they'll also hardly go homeless, they will just have to sell and move into the estate
Surely you're taking the piss

JimStynes

Sure your wife will have a lovely wee teaching pension

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 14, 2022, 12:20:29 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 13, 2022, 01:36:06 PM
Again anyone who can afford a £400K house can well afford the hike, and if they couldn't then that's on them, they'll also hardly go homeless, they will just have to sell and move into the estate
Surely you're taking the piss

The last bit yes, but if someone has enough money to buy a £400K house they should be well able to afford the hike, if not they were given bad advice at the time of getting a mortgage, did they think the 1.4% would last forever?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on October 14, 2022, 12:23:40 PM

Sure your wife will have a lovely wee teaching pension

Yes Jim and she knows that's why I'm here lol!!