Ooh Ah Up The Ra

Started by illdecide, October 14, 2022, 09:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Derek Warfield left the Wolfe Tone about 20 years ago he was the writer of Celtic Symphony among others song so should be making good money out of all the air play it's got, Is it true on his departure he signed a contract that prevented the rest of the band to record any new material?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

balladmaker

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 12, 2023, 06:59:17 PM
Derek Warfield left the Wolfe Tone about 20 years ago he was the writer of Celtic Symphony among others song so should be making good money out of all the air play it's got, Is it true on his departure he signed a contract that prevented the rest of the band to record any new material?

Derek Warfield didn't write Celtic Symphony, his brother Brian did who is still with the group.  Derek did sign a record contract in the US in the 90's that took them several years to get out of.

balladmaker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 12, 2023, 05:47:07 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on September 12, 2023, 03:19:38 PM
Disagree on two fronts ... The Wolfe Tones were booked for EP23 before the Irish Ladies controversy started ... secondly, the group were pulling thousands even before that same controversy.  You don't get to be 59 years on the road unless there is a lot of substance, and whether you like them or not, The Wolfe Tones have a huge following globally.  As for the faux outrage from the usual quarters, the equation is simple, if you don't like The Wolfe Tones then don't listen to them and don't go to see them, but don't try to tell others who do want to attend what to do ... it's called freedom of choice.

They have a loyal band of supporters and deserve great credit for going as long as they have however right now is the most popular period in their 60 year history. Maybe they were already booked for Electric Picnic though the crowd that turned up to the tent (as in the picture I already posted) far exceeded expectations and if booked again next year they'll have to play on the main stage.

I've attend one of their gigs myself about a decade ago in a local pub and it did not sell out.

EP survey the audience in advance, who are you going to see etc. They knew before it happened that The Wolfe Tones appearance was going to be over subscribed by more than twice, but let it proceed in the Electric Arena as planned ... you couldn't pay for the resulting publicity.

Blowitupref

Quote from: balladmaker on September 12, 2023, 08:29:18 PM

Derek Warfield didn't write Celtic Symphony, his brother Brian did who is still with the group.  Derek did sign a record contract in the US in the 90's that took them several years to get out of.

According to these links he did.

https://www.advertiser.ie/athlone/article/135699/derek-warfield-and-the-young-wolfe-tones-prepare-to-perform-at-the-venue-athlone

https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/wolfe-tones-derek-warfield-goes-29378993

Co written by the brothers?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

balladmaker

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 12, 2023, 09:04:28 PM

https://www.advertiser.ie/athlone/article/135699/derek-warfield-and-the-young-wolfe-tones-prepare-to-perform-at-the-venue-athlone

Don't believe all that you read in the press, full of inaccuracies ... https://lyrics.lyricfind.com/en-GB/lyrics/wolfe-tones-celtic-symphony

Blowitupref

Quote from: balladmaker on September 12, 2023, 09:08:27 PM

Don't believe all that you read in the press, full of inaccuracies ... https://lyrics.lyricfind.com/en-GB/lyrics/wolfe-tones-celtic-symphony

If inaccurate would Derek not correct it?

balladmaker

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 12, 2023, 09:13:08 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on September 12, 2023, 09:08:27 PM

If inaccurate would Derek not correct it?

No if about it, the reports you provided were inaccurate.  As to why Derek wouldn't correct it, I guess that's a question for him.  He mightn't even have read the report so will hardly bother him.

naka

watched the tones on the two johnnies( youtube), Brian said he wrote the celtic Symphony and belittles  the d4 cries of outrage .

balladmaker

Quote from: naka on September 13, 2023, 10:47:43 AM
watched the tones on the two johnnies( youtube), Brian said he wrote the celtic Symphony and belittles  the d4 cries of outrage .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFxd8obyqZM

Dag Dog

Some people are getting upset about 'Zombie' by the Cranberries being sung by the Irish rugby fans.
When it was the Wolfe Tones, we were told "let the people sing", it's only a song etc.

thewobbler

Quote from: Dag Dog on September 25, 2023, 12:16:44 PMSome people are getting upset about 'Zombie' by the Cranberries being sung by the Irish rugby fans.
When it was the Wolfe Tones, we were told "let the people sing", it's only a song etc.

The sooner Musk starts charging people for using Twitter, and everyone stops using it, the better for Ireland.

I've been out and about quite a bit the past week, and I've not engaged in or overheard a single conversation about Zombie, Ireland's Call or the Wolfe Tones.

Yet my Twitter timeline is neck deep in this nonsense.

Something isn't adding up here. And I hope the final calculation ends in Twitter's demise

trailer

Quote from: thewobbler on September 25, 2023, 12:38:07 PM
Quote from: Dag Dog on September 25, 2023, 12:16:44 PMSome people are getting upset about 'Zombie' by the Cranberries being sung by the Irish rugby fans.

The sooner Musk starts charging people for using Twitter, and everyone stops using it, the better for Ireland.

I've been out and about quite a bit the past week, and I've not engaged in or overheard a single conversation about Zombie, Ireland's Call or the Wolfe Tones.

Something isn't adding up here. And I hope the final calculation ends in Twitter's demise

Blame Tadgh Hickey.

Milltown Row2

Was in Liverpool the other weekend, and we hit a few pubs on the way home on night. Some lad singing away in Fitz and Oh Ah Up the Ra came on, with mixing in, f**k the tories for good measure. There was a little bit of a hush before the whole bar just joined in ;D

Young ones not caring, the wife and her friend were a bit bemused but are smart enough that its not an issue for them (coming from a prod background)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

weareros

Quote from: trailer on September 25, 2023, 12:38:53 PM

Blame Tadgh Hickey.

A couple of newspapers have even managed to write articles entirely based on lads who spend too much time on Twitter from both sides. Limerick hurlers have sang Zombie for years along with Sean South. Two completely contrasting songs but a Limerick connection to both. Munster Rugby adopted it and I think they were also the first to make The Fields a rousing stadium song, since adopted by Irish soccer fans and Liverpool have their own (cringe) version. Sometimes it just about a rousing piece of music to get the atmosphere going. But in Ireland people not happy till their complaining.

seafoid

Quote from: weareros on September 25, 2023, 02:05:22 PM
Quote from: trailer on September 25, 2023, 12:38:53 PM

Blame Tadgh Hickey.

A couple of newspapers have even managed to write articles entirely based on lads who spend too much time on Twitter from both sides. Limerick hurlers have sang Zombie for years along with Sean South. Two completely contrasting songs but a Limerick connection to both. Munster Rugby adopted it and I think they were also the first to make The Fields a rousing stadium song, since adopted by Irish soccer fans and Liverpool have their own (cringe) version. Sometimes it just about a rousing piece of music to get the atmosphere going. But in Ireland people not happy till their complaining.
The whole point of anthems is to get the atmosphere going. The words don't matter. Both la Marseillaise and Amhran na bhFiann are revolutionary songs.