Ooh Ah Up The Ra

Started by illdecide, October 14, 2022, 09:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Quote from: Snapchap on October 17, 2022, 10:38:09 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on October 17, 2022, 09:39:53 AM
Noticed the Newsletter headline this morning while getting my paper. Had a little laugh to myself thinking do they not realise people are taking the piss now - didn't read the story hut assume it was the singing of Celtic Symphony at the FAI semi yesterday and at Dublin Airport.

The front page of The Newsletter the morning after the Creeslough tragedy:

https://twitter.com/JohnCharlesLave/status/1580838668105048065/photo/1
The News Letter is little more than a hardline propaganda publication at this stage.

Pub Bore

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 17, 2022, 10:54:44 AM
I thought it was where you got the urge to sing and act in bad films

Possibly that too!

Snapchap

Quote from: Keyser soze on October 17, 2022, 11:09:36 AM
Quote from: michaelg on October 17, 2022, 09:45:46 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on October 17, 2022, 09:25:06 AM
Quote from: ONeill on October 16, 2022, 11:18:11 PM
There's something happening at the minute and it's interesting to watch. Not sure if it's a reaction to being told by a Sky reporter how the Irish should behave or an acceptance of our own history but there's something happening here.

I think so too and it's the Southern media's response to this.

A bunch of Armagh or Tyrone camogs or ladies footballers and they'd be fair game for this overreaction for your one from Portadown trying to get some of the girls sacked, but they're Dubs, they're from Cork, Donegal and wherever..

So far it's been slightly more nuanced, Mullaly in the Irish Times touches on it (although she's quick to distinguish the new IRA from the Old IRA  ;)  ) as it's the young, modern Irish are proud of their Irish heritage and manifests itself in Republicanism whereas the older generations were still forelock tuggers to the English betters.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2022/10/13/una-mullally-what-does-it-mean-to-say-up-the-ra-and-why-does-it-keep-happening/

Or maybe it's a bit of what Mulally points to but also the youth of Ireland being much better informed as to what actually happened up here during the troubles now that RTE has lost it's absolute control of the messaging relating to here.

They're now hearing that the British Army did run amok in Derry and Ballymurphy killing people who are just like them, they now know that the British Army were directly involved in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, they now know that the British Army and the RUC worked cheek to jowl with Loyalist paramilitaries killed people like Sean Brown and Aidan McAnespie just for their love of GAA, just like them.

The truth may have set the youth of Ireland free, may it set Ireland free.
They must not have got the memo about Enniskillen, Shankill, Warrington, Bloody Friday etc

Well that's exactly the point, everyone can rhyme off these list of incidents as they are constantly in the media limelight, in the way Bloody Sunday is also. Though to be fair I don't think there was an establishment conspiracy to label the victims in any of the former incidents as culpable in their own demise in the way the Bloody Sunday victims were, and quite frankly still are across a large swathe of unionist opinion in the north.

I listened to part of Nolan there, a man from Newtownards was on who said he had been caught up in an IRA bombing in 1992. He was strongly against people glorifying the IRA by singing the Celtic Symphony and was looking people banned from the airport and the Ireland team to be banned from the world cup. There was absolutely no mention of banning anyone from the centre of Banbridge.

He then said that he was lucky he wasn't 'killed innocently' and that he was lucky he wasn't one of the "1800 people that were killed innocently". To me this just sums up the entire mindset of a substantial proportion of the unionist population. That the 1800 people who were killed by the IRA were innocent victims. The remaining people who were killed by the Police Army and UVF etc were not among the innocent victims.

Nolan, neglected to challenge this nonsense from the contributor.

There weren't any UVF victims on, or Catholics asked if they were offended by the FTP songs.

And what you have done there is give a list of reasons why you (and everyone else) would be better off not facilitating him by boosting his listener figures. It's no wonder he keeps getting away with his sectarian baiting when so many who see it for what it is, still tune in for him.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

There's something happening at the minute and it's interesting to watch. Not sure if it's a reaction to being told by a Sky reporter how the Irish should behave or an acceptance of our own history but there's something happening here.

A bunch of Armagh or Tyrone camogs or ladies footballers and they'd be fair game for this overreaction for your one from Portadown trying to get some of the girls sacked, but they're Dubs, they're from Cork, Donegal and wherever..

So far it's been slightly more nuanced, Mullaly in the Irish Times touches on it (although she's quick to distinguish the new IRA from the Old IRA  ;)  ) as it's the young, modern Irish are proud of their Irish heritage and manifests itself in Republicanism whereas the older generations were still forelock tuggers to the English betters.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2022/10/13/una-mullally-what-does-it-mean-to-say-up-the-ra-and-why-does-it-keep-happening/

Or maybe it's a bit of what Mulally points to but also the youth of Ireland being much better informed as to what actually happened up here during the troubles now that RTE has lost it's absolute control of the messaging relating to here.

They're now hearing that the British Army did run amok in Derry and Ballymurphy killing people who are just like them, they now know that the British Army were directly involved in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, they now know that the British Army and the RUC worked cheek to jowl with Loyalist paramilitaries killed people like Sean Brown and Aidan McAnespie just for their love of GAA, just like them.

They must not have got the memo about Enniskillen, Shankill, Warrington, Bloody Friday etc

Well that's exactly the point, everyone can rhyme off these list of incidents as they are constantly in the media limelight, in the way Bloody Sunday is also. Though to be fair I don't think there was an establishment conspiracy to label the victims in any of the former incidents as culpable in their own demise in the way the Bloody Sunday victims were, and quite frankly still are across a large swathe of unionist opinion in the north.

I listened to part of Nolan there, a man from Newtownards was on who said he had been caught up in an IRA bombing in 1992. He was strongly against people glorifying the IRA by singing the Celtic Symphony and was looking people banned from the airport and the Ireland team to be banned from the world cup. There was absolutely no mention of banning anyone from the centre of Banbridge.

He then said that he was lucky he wasn't 'killed innocently' and that he was lucky he wasn't one of the "1800 people that were killed innocently". To me this just sums up the entire mindset of a substantial proportion of the unionist population. That the 1800 people who were killed by the IRA were innocent victims. The remaining people who were killed by the Police Army and UVF etc were not among the innocent victims.

There weren't any UVF victims on, or Catholics asked if they were offended by the FTP songs.

Jesus wise up. Thats makes no sense at all.  He was nearly killed, hes bound to be bitter and I think you are away off there putting words into his mouth with your own interpretation.

Walk in another mans shoes before you judge. Some serious growing up needed on both sides

yellowcard

Quote from: Snapchap on October 17, 2022, 11:32:00 AM

And what you have done there is give a list of reasons why you (and everyone else) would be better off not facilitating him by boosting his listener figures. It's no wonder he keeps getting away with his sectarian baiting when so many who see it for what it is, still tune in for him.

The Nolan show is, and has been a massive part of the problem. I haven't listened to it for a few years and I would advise anybody to do the same. Its a show that thrives on sectarian controversies and is full of anger, hate and division so why would you put yourself through that daily hatefest. Given that it is likely to be mostly older people listening, my guess is that it is a large majority of Unionists who listen to the show. Most young educated people just roll their eyes at Nolans latest attempt to stir up the sectarian pot. 

imtommygunn

Exactly this. It would just infuriate you. It is hard not to read what has been said on it so very hard to avoid completely. If you were to believe what you hear from voices in that show then that old line "a protestant state for protestant people" should actually read a nationalist state for nationalist people and we all know that is far from the truth with the biggest unionist party getting away scot free with bringing down establishments and getting little to no flak from any direction for their connections with active, and the word active is very key here, paramilitaries.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 17, 2022, 10:28:49 AM
Some of the shite you read on this is some craic. Now apparently thousands of people from the 26 support(ed) the IRA because there were a few videos. A united Ireland is off. Locakhart and Pengelly are deeply upset.

You couldn't make it up.
The UI is finished my arse.
NI is a wee basket case that can't pay for itself

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Aye over and out. Sin é domhsa

nrico2006

Quote from: yellowcard on October 17, 2022, 11:47:57 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on October 17, 2022, 11:32:00 AM

The Nolan show is, and has been a massive part of the problem. I haven't listened to it for a few years and I would advise anybody to do the same. Its a show that thrives on sectarian controversies and is full of anger, hate and division so why would you put yourself through that daily hatefest. Given that it is likely to be mostly older people listening, my guess is that it is a large majority of Unionists who listen to the show. Most young educated people just roll their eyes at Nolans latest attempt to stir up the sectarian pot.

Same with the Belfast Telegraph page on FB, its just a constant barrage of contentious articles that you know is going to be jumped on by hundreds from both sides.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Keyser soze

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 17, 2022, 11:44:00 AM

Jesus wise up. Thats makes no sense at all.  He was nearly killed, hes bound to be bitter and I think you are away off there putting words into his mouth with your own interpretation.

Walk in another mans shoes before you judge. Some serious growing up needed on both sides

I didn't put words in his mouth, hence the quote marks where I directly quoted him  ::)

tbrick18

Quote from: Keyser soze on October 17, 2022, 01:42:32 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 17, 2022, 11:44:00 AM

I didn't put words in his mouth, hence the quote marks where I directly quoted him  ::)

I rarely listen to Nolan but put in on the wireless this morning on the way back from the school run.
He's pretending to be impartial....some guy asked him a question (can't remember what now) and he said that he can't answer questions or give opinions as then he couldn't do his job impartially.
Then he goes on to continually refer to IRA murderers and terrorists killing innocent people. By calling the IRA terrorists, he's giving an opinion. Yes the establishment and unionists would like to brand them terrorists, but by many on the nationalist side they were the defending force and were instead freedom fighters. One narrative doesn't invalidate the other.

A caller said that no-one is calling Ukrainians terrorists for fighting back against the Russians, or the French for fighting back against the Nazis. An extreme comparison admittedly, but it's a fair point. Of course, he was cut off.

The context of the song in this case I don't believe was to give praise to the IRA. It was a spur of the moment deadly tune to celebrate with. Compare that with we have to listen to every year during marching season on a planned and repeated basis that we have to accept as culture. To the emblems of loyalist paramilitaries plastered over walls, flags and band banners. Para regiment flags being erected in Derry on the eve of Bloody Sunday anniversary. Effigies and flags being burnt on bonfires. British Army collusion in murders. Its a culture of bigotry, secterianism and hate. A culture celebrating the superiority of unioism over Catholicism/nationalism/irishness.  Where is the parity?
This is a unionist storm in a teacup meant to try to divide.

The Nolan show is a platform for unionist vitriol.
But the single most obvious undertone of all of this is that they terrified. Terrified of a UI. They will say and do anything to avoid it.

illdecide

Not speaking for everyone here but as i mentioned earlier the response to all this is quite different from the people in the occupied 6 compared to the Southern brigade. Majority of people from the North would be quite Republican and still have a we soft spot for the RA and most things Republican whereas the guys down south have no time for it nor have any interest in mixing it with their current lives. I suppose you would have had to grow up in it to know why the North feel the way they feel, it is really disappointing when fellow Irish men would throw you under the bus quicker than the Unionists would.

As someone mentioned earlier the Nolan show is responsible for holding this Country back, it has a massive audience and everyday it stirs the sh1t up continuously reminding people of all the bad that happened and bringing on people with gripes and bitterness to spew. I don't listen to it that often but anytime i did listen in it would leave me furious and swear I'd never tune in again
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

trailer

Quote from: illdecide on October 17, 2022, 03:13:38 PM
Not speaking for everyone here but as i mentioned earlier the response to all this is quite different from the people in the occupied 6 compared to the Southern brigade. Majority of people from the North would be quite Republican and still have a we soft spot for the RA and most things Republican whereas the guys down south have no time for it nor have any interest in mixing it with their current lives. I suppose you would have had to grow up in it to know why the North feel the way they feel, it is really disappointing when fellow Irish men would throw you under the bus quicker than the Unionists would.

As someone mentioned earlier the Nolan show is responsible for holding this Country back, it has a massive audience and everyday it stirs the sh1t up continuously reminding people of all the bad that happened and bringing on people with gripes and bitterness to spew. I don't listen to it that often but anytime i did listen in it would leave me furious and swear I'd never tune in again

What an absolute stonker of a take.

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on October 17, 2022, 03:49:05 PM
Quote from: illdecide on October 17, 2022, 03:13:38 PM

What an absolute stonker of a take.
Fairly accurate, well in my experience anyway actually

red hander

'But the single most obvious undertone of all of this is that they terrified. Terrified of a UI. They will say and do anything to avoid it'

In a nutshell. But their failed shithole sectarian statelet is over. No more gerrymandering. They'll have one vote, just like the rest of us. 50+1.