The Gym and Fitness Thread

Started by JimStynes, February 09, 2022, 08:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: jcpen on January 06, 2023, 08:29:55 AM
Do any of you practice intermittent fasting?

Not sure if its the same but a friend of mine does it, 3 days on 4 days off...eats like a squirrel 3 days and normal eating 4 days... Been doing it for years, looks well body shape and he's over 60
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tonto1888

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 06, 2023, 08:39:04 AM

Not sure if its the same but a friend of mine does it, 3 days on 4 days off...eats like a squirrel 3 days and normal eating 4 days... Been doing it for years, looks well body shape and he's over 60

I could be wrong but I dont think thats the same thing. Intermittent fasting, I believe, is fast for maybe 18 hours a day and getting all your food in during a 6 hour window

GAABoardMod5

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 06, 2023, 08:55:34 AM

I could be wrong but I dont think thats the same thing. Intermittent fasting, I believe, is fast for maybe 18 hours a day and getting all your food in during a 6 hour window

Had good results on a 5 and 2 diet...practically nothing on Mondays and Thursdays beyond water.

Keyser soze

Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on January 06, 2023, 09:02:36 AM

Had good results on a 5 and 2 diet...practically nothing on Mondays and Thursdays beyond water.

I was on this one for a long time a few years ago, except it was the drink, results fair to middling if I'm honest. 

Armagh18

If you want to lose weight then you need a calorie deficit. I.e. more going out than is coming in. Intermittent fasting, keto, etc etc are just ways of achieving that. The best one is the one you are going to enjoy and therefore be able to stick to. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on January 06, 2023, 09:02:36 AM

Ah that's what it was, he'd water and nuts for 2 or 3 days
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mourne Red

Yeh intermittent fasting is like you do 18 hours not eating then consume all your calories in 6 hours or so never really suited me, like something sweet with a cuppa at night.

I just done some fasted cardio in the mornings then a full body session later on in the day 3 times a week and the winter timber used to drop off in time for pre-season.

TabClear

I need to drop some (a lot!  :() of weight and while I am running a couple of times a week I would also like to try to tone up a bit. I have access to a basic gym at work with dumbells/Weights/Benches but no machines as such. I have never been a gym goer but would be keen to try to go 2-3 times a week in my lunchbreak and was wondering if anyone can recommend a decent app with programs/exercises etc and track progress (sets/reps/weights) etc.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: TabClear on January 06, 2023, 10:46:59 AM
I need to drop some (a lot!  :() of weight and while I am running a couple of times a week I would also like to try to tone up a bit. I have access to a basic gym at work with dumbells/Weights/Benches but no machines as such. I have never been a gym goer but would be keen to try to go 2-3 times a week in my lunchbreak and was wondering if anyone can recommend a decent app with programs/exercises etc and track progress (sets/reps/weights) etc.

Personally I'll not be at the gym unless I've lost weight first, I know that sounds strange but for me I hate running/cardio if I'm carrying any excess weight!!

So usually get that weight off by not stuffing my face and when I feel comfortable I'll do the cardio mixed in with weights

BTW I'm not saying you should do this, It's how I approach it, in fairness its only xmas weight but when you are 51 its harder to shift lol

bogball88

What are people paying for gym membership these days? Mine is £19, gym has all the equipment and facilities you want with some classes thrown into that as well. Good shower and changing facilities as well

Hereiam

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bogball88 on January 06, 2023, 11:16:05 AM
What are people paying for gym membership these days? Mine is £19, gym has all the equipment and facilities you want with some classes thrown into that as well. Good shower and changing facilities as well

£30 for a family pass at the local center which I only use ffs!

DW was what I originally went to, it catered for everything I needed but the feckers closed over covid!! So ended up in limbo trying other gyms

DW had better classes, was bit pricey but kept the riff-raff out, that may seem snobby but I'm not fussed on people shouting at the mirrors when they are lifting weights or my locker getting broke into!

tintin25

Quote from: bogball88 on January 06, 2023, 11:16:05 AM

£100....pricey but it's small group training and pretty much like getting a PT session at a fraction of the cost

No1

QuoteI need to drop some (a lot!  :() of weight and while I am running a couple of times a week I would also like to try to tone up a bit. I have access to a basic gym at work with dumbells/Weights/Benches but no machines as such. I have never been a gym goer but would be keen to try to go 2-3 times a week in my lunchbreak and was wondering if anyone can recommend a decent app with programs/exercises etc and track progress (sets/reps/weights) etc.

KeyLifts app is very good and the free version is all you will need to begin with. 

However, I would really advise that before you start get someone who knows what they are at to show you the correct technique for each kinda lift you want to do.  You should really find out what your one rep max is for each lift and then devise your workout from there.

I only started about 8 weeks ago having never even looked at weights in 30 odd years and the above has really helped me.

Last Man

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 06, 2023, 09:36:22 AM
If you want to lose weight then you need a calorie deficit. I.e. more going out than is coming in. Intermittent fasting, keto, etc etc are just ways of achieving that. The best one is the one you are going to enjoy and therefore be able to stick to.
https://youtu.be/66hWntvp0_4
Not really that simple. We can't equate human nutrition to shovelling coal into a steam boiler.