America`s Gun Culture

Started by Wildweasel74, December 14, 2012, 06:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: whitey on June 10, 2022, 04:37:52 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 10, 2022, 04:08:14 PM
Quote from: general_lee on June 09, 2022, 08:29:43 PM
What is the need to own or use an assault rifle?

there is none

Actually there is

The rationale that "some" of these gun owners have is that they need to have the same fire power as (a) criminals and (b) law enforcement. In the event that a tyrant takes over the country they need to be able to fight fire with fire

Now whether you think that's a bunch of mullarkey or not, is besides the point. That's where the right to bear arms comes into play

That is horse shit. Nobody is denying anyone the right to bear arms. But there is no reason in the world for any civilian to have assault rifles and the like. And there is no reason why any responsible gun owner shouldn't be subject to extensive background checks before they purchase or have ownership of a gun.

In addition to all this waffle about but sure they'd get the guns of the black market etc. Yes, they would but the point is it would be much harder for them and it might just have prevented even one of those mass shootings at various schools over the years. Would that itself not be worth it?

general_lee

Quote from: Gmac on June 09, 2022, 08:40:15 PM
That's why Americans will never part with any guns .
Americans are morons

whitey

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on June 10, 2022, 04:46:46 PM
Quote from: whitey on June 10, 2022, 04:37:52 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 10, 2022, 04:08:14 PM
Quote from: general_lee on June 09, 2022, 08:29:43 PM
What is the need to own or use an assault rifle?

there is none

Actually there is

The rationale that "some" of these gun owners have is that they need to have the same fire power as (a) criminals and (b) law enforcement. In the event that a tyrant takes over the country they need to be able to fight fire with fire

Now whether you think that's a bunch of mullarkey or not, is besides the point. That's where the right to bear arms comes into play

That is horse shit. Nobody is denying anyone the right to bear arms. But there is no reason in the world for any civilian to have assault rifles and the like. And there is no reason why any responsible gun owner shouldn't be subject to extensive background checks before they purchase or have ownership of a gun.

In addition to all this waffle about but sure they'd get the guns of the black market etc. Yes, they would but the point is it would be much harder for them and it might just have prevented even one of those mass shootings at various schools over the years. Would that itself not be worth it?

Believe what you want

I don't own a gun but I know plenty of people who do and that's what many of them will tell you (especially former military)

They'll also tell you that <1% of murders are attributable to Assault weapons so banning them is  nothing more than a token exercise in political correctness

The gun debate and the abortion debate have many parallels. The hardliners will tell you that ANY restrictions are just the beginning of a slippery slope.

Milltown Row2

Give them as many guns as they want... Ban the ammunition, that's not part of their stupid amendments
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gmac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 10, 2022, 08:36:50 PM
Give them as many guns as they want... Ban the ammunition, that's not part of their stupid amendments
were you happy that Irish republican's had weapons in the occupied 6 counties during the troubles ?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gmac on June 10, 2022, 09:12:04 PM
were you happy that Irish republican's had weapons in the occupied 6 counties during the troubles ?

Not at all, I'm completely against violence, no one would have died and we'd be in the same position we are now, only SF are in government under British rule. No one had to die..

Hopefully that answers your question
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gmac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 10, 2022, 09:17:39 PM

Not at all, I'm completely against violence, no one would have died and we'd be in the same position we are now, only SF are in government under British rule. No one had to die..

was that always your position?
We're you in the minority?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gmac on June 10, 2022, 09:23:22 PM

I grew up on the Falls, during the troubles at its worst, I'd no issues saying what I felt then or now, and any death considering how it's actually panned out was totally avoidable, just like the states no guns no senseless murders

whitey

So against my better judgement, I engaged a  "Trump supporter/gun owner" yesterday on the issue of background checks. I asked them if they knew that if a minor had a record as a juvenile that record was sealed and wouldn't prevent them from getting a gun the day they turned 18

(I picked this approach because a kid in his sons class had issued an online death threat to a teacher and there was a big hullabaloo down at the school over it with the cops and school psychologist all involved)

All I got was a 10 minute rant about Hunter Biden and how he had lied on his background check and that if the Democrats had their way the only people who would have guns would be Hunter Biden and assorted deviants and that if the Second Amendment was taken away, they would then come for the First Amendment-and actually they already had, but that Mary Poppins of Disinformation had screwed it up on them

J70

There is no common ground to be had with a mindset like that.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on June 12, 2022, 12:48:24 PM
There is no common ground to be had with a mindset like that.

They also claimed that New York had passed some sort of bill on background checks, but that the Democrats had either blocked or defunded it. I've searched and have no clue where they got that from

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 10, 2022, 09:30:31 PM

I grew up on the Falls, during the troubles at its worst, I'd no issues saying what I felt then or now, and any death considering how it's actually panned out was totally avoidable, just like the states no guns no senseless murders
Is there any context for armed defiance, eg the French Resistance  WW2?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on June 19, 2022, 05:19:02 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 10, 2022, 09:30:31 PM

Is there any context for armed defiance, eg the French Resistance  WW2?

You're either for all of it or none of it, if you feel the French resistance made a huge impact and the atrocities at Oradour-sur-Glane where justified, I'm not sure. This was the site of a particularly brutal atrocity during World War II. Due to the French resistance holding a SS prisoner I'm not sure it was a good thing, The entire village was destroyed and its inhabitants killed (645)! by German troops on June 10, 1944, this happened exactly two years after a similar fate had befallen the Czechoslovakian village of Lidice.

You are comparing apples and oranges though.

The IRA were never going to win the war, it brought about a stalemate which brought about dialogue and eventually 'peace', a lot of people died needlessly who had absolutely no involvement in the troubles, if you feel it was justified then that's your feelings. I personally think we'd have got to where are now with a lot less dead had we took the political route. SF are in Stormont under a government that is over seen by Westminster. Why did we wait so long? 

whitey

Captain Scarlet

Is anyone here still following the Uvalde shooting. Very ropey stuff going on with Police accounts and now I see on Twitter (I know I know!) that they were there before the lads went in.

Other USA-based accounts saying it's likely the Police may have even shot some of the children. It's all such a messed-up place. When you listen to some of their politicians how can they be for real. Ideology or not how can machine guns in the hands of regular people be OK?!
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.