Airline Upgrade

Started by 118cmal, June 07, 2010, 05:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

118cmal

Hey everyone,

I'm flying from Heathrow to JFK on Wednesday with Atlantic Airlines and I was wondering if anyone has ever had any experience of being upgraded on an airline?  I've heard of friends of friends getting upgraded but it hasn't happened to anyone I personally know.  Is there any point in even asking, and who would it be best to ask?

Thanking you all in advance,
Martin

Canalman

Dress businesslike (suit and tie) and you might get bumped up to 1st class so I hear.(You won't obviously p.ss off the genuine 1st class passengers). Always ask.

Minder

Quote from: 118cmal on June 07, 2010, 05:36:24 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm flying from Heathrow to JFK on Wednesday with Atlantic Airlines and I was wondering if anyone has ever had any experience of being upgraded on an airline?  I've heard of friends of friends getting upgraded but it hasn't happened to anyone I personally know.  Is there any point in even asking, and who would it be best to ask?

Martin

I would say this board will not be short of people that upgraded and will point you in the right direction.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gawa316

I asked with United airlines on route to dub last Nov. The wife was 3 months pregnant so thought what the hell. Went up to the desk and asked is there any chance of an upgrade to which the doll replied, 'Yes there is, for an extra 2000 bucks!' Ah coach will do us grand!

Tyrones own

Not a chance...customer service is a thing of the past unfortunately
added to the fact that they've heard all the sad stories at this point.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on June 07, 2010, 07:28:17 PM
Hey everyone,

Martin

I would say this board will not be short of people that upgraded and will point you in the right direction.
Most of it filed under the fiction section.

viiv

Chances even being in a suit are slim.

Best chance would to be a member of Frequent flyer scheme. I think Virgin's is flying club but you would prob need status with them.

armaghniac

While you can be lucky with upgrades, generally airlines try to give them to a good customer, not some randomer from Gaaboard.
- people on the top tier of frequent flyer
- people with expensive tickets
- perhaps corporate accounts that they wish to keep

a single person has a chance, dressed respectably rather than studenty helps. But people on long haul busines class often wear business casual rather than suits, as they are only going to their hotel after the flight. Your best chance is when the plane is totally full and they have to move someone.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tyssam5

Hey everyone,

Martin

Got it once when I had a broken arm, but that was over 10 years ago. Absolutely no chance, there is hardly any spare capacity in any Atlantic flights at the minute. I like aisle seats, some of the hoors are even trying to look extra for pre-booking them. Might be a slight chance if asking about an emergency row seat, if you're tall that might be nice.

tyssam5

Quote from: Canalman on June 07, 2010, 07:23:02 PM
Dress businesslike (suit and tie) and you might get bumped up to 1st class so I hear.(You won't obviously p.ss off the genuine 1st class passengers). Always ask.

Who's going to wear a business suit on a 6-7 hour flight? Doubt you'd see too many of them in 'business' class.

Zapatista

Surely Tony Fearon is the man to ask?

tyssam5

Quote from: Zapatista on June 08, 2010, 12:15:30 AM
Surely Tony Fearon is the man to ask?

He said an upgrade to JFK. Winning 2 free first class flight to the World Cup is another skill set altogether!

pintsofguinness

I'm just surprised there's someone from the gaaboard traveling without a last minute passport panic.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

tyssam5

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 08, 2010, 12:28:38 AM
I'm just surprised there's someone from the gaaboard traveling without a last minute passport panic.

Good point, he'll be getting the expiry date now.

aontroim

Not a great chance of success for an upgrade if you are flying on a cheap class of economy ticket.  Upgrades will automatically go to any frequent flyers on board before other passengers and thats only when the plane is full / overbooked.  However you should still always ask the question - even if there isn't an upgrade you can normally get an exit row seat most of the time.