FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

We are short of centre halves and McShane deservedly comes 4th in line after Dunne, O'Shea and St Ledger.
No way would I have O'Dea ahead of McShane.

If we get a pair of decent functioning full backs out of the glut of possibilities for the next campaign then O'Shea should be free to resume at CH.

Billys Boots

McShane is way our of his depth at this level - he was scarily bad last night.  I did an experiment and just watched him for ten quiet minutes in the second half - he is clueless entirely.  Paraguay would never have scored if he hadn't handed the chance on a plate with a ridiculous lunge.

Sheridan was alright; he's a bit slow with the ball at his feet.  Long looks like he could be a handful as he develops.

Decent crowd for a meaningless friendly.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hound

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 26, 2010, 02:53:18 PM

Block bookers were forced to buy tickets or else lose their entitlement to tickets in the new stadium.
A friend of mine bought two that way and literally couldnt give them away.

Main Street

McShane is way our of his depth at this level - he was scarily bad last night.  I did an experiment and just watched him for ten quiet minutes in the second half - he is clueless entirely.  Paraguay would never have scored if he hadn't handed the chance on a plate with a ridiculous lunge.

Trap certainly won't see it as purely McShane's fault. They are all His children :)
It was a well taken goal and the defense was not up to it.
McShane should have closed down rather than lunge but why was there a player with the ball at his feet in space in the first instance? then after McShane was foiled by a deft touch which sent the ball to another unmarked player in space, Whelan just stares at the ball. All told,  McShane's lunge and 2 other sleepy defenders with Whelan in particular at 6s and 7s.

QuoteSheridan was alright; he's a bit slow with the ball at his feet.  Long looks like he could be a handful as he develops.
Sheridan would need to develop some serious aerial prowess, same with Daryll Murphy, in order to justify inclusion on the squad.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Hound on May 26, 2010, 04:41:03 PM

Block bookers were forced to buy tickets or else lose their entitlement to tickets in the new stadium.
A friend of mine bought two that way and literally couldnt give them away.

I was given 7 free tickets!

I guess McShane (having watched the replay last night) wasn't wholly at fault (just 95%).  Good news to hear that he's 'not available' tomorrow night.  Hopefully some youngster (Coleman) might get a run, although I believe Richard Dunne will be available.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Main Street

You have been too busy focussing on McShane to see the wider team picture  :)
It's widely known that Dunne is not available and Coleman has not been called up to the squad.

It is a question of who will partner St Ledger, an obvious choice is O'Shea, even if he is just  at 50% of being match fit.
But we don't have a left FB. There is a Man City youth/reserve player called Cunningham and O'Dea who has played there for Celtic.
Trap could go with O'Dea at CH and leave O'Shea and Kelly in their places.

Celt_Man

Greg Cunningham set to make Ireland debut
Thursday, 27 May 2010 15:31

Teenager Greg Cunningham will win his for senior cap for the Republic of Ireland in tomorrow night's friendly clash with Algeria.

The 19-year-old Manchester City full-back, who made just three appearances as a substitute for his club last season, will line up on the left as John O'Shea moves into the middle to partner Sean St Ledger with Paul McShane having been released from the squad.

There will also be a first start for 27-year-old Derby midfielder Paul Green, who made his debut as a substitute against Paraguay on Tuesday evening.

Manager Giovanni Trapattoni has an injury doubt over Liam Lawrence, who is struggling to shake off a groin problem, and Birmingham's Keith Fahey is standing by.

Republic of Ireland starting XI to face Algeria at the RDS, Friday 28 May, kick-off 7.45pm: K Westwood; S Kelly, J O'Shea, S St Ledger, G Cunninham; L Lawrence, P Green, G Whelan, D Duff; R Keane, K Doyle.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Main Street

Main Street

Not worth its own thread.
France awarded the Euros in 2016.

Something suspicious looking about this, but I can't put my finger on it

The Worker

The Real Laoislad

Algeria are brutal, England should beat them easily enough.
Good goal from Greene, got a nice bang on the head for himself too.
Didn't realise there was so many Algerians in Ireland there must be a thousand or more behind the goal, I'm presuming of course they didn't actually fly over from Algeria for the game!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ross4life

Quote from: Main Street on May 28, 2010, 04:11:10 PM
Not worth its own thread.
France awarded the Euros in 2016.

Something suspicious looking about this, but I can't put my finger on it

I may make the trip over & week or two in the South of France sounds good to me  8)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

gerrykeegan

I will be disgusted if robbie keane gets man of the match.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 28, 2010, 08:46:18 PM
Algeria are brutal, England should beat them easily enough.
Good goal from Greene, got a nice bang on the head for himself too.
Didn't realise there was so many Algerians in Ireland there must be a thousand or more behind the goal, I'm presuming of course they didn't actually fly over from Algeria for the game!

2,000 apparently.

Looked like they were enjoying themselves anyway.

Denn Forever

The Dad of the seperated twins was a special guest at tonights game.

Did anyone from team England come over to lookat Algeria?  I wonder would it be worth a punt that the England Algeria game will be a draw?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...