building a house

Started by JPF, July 23, 2009, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

God14

Quote from: WT4E on October 12, 2022, 11:07:16 AM
Quote from: God14 on October 12, 2022, 09:45:24 AM
Quote from: WT4E on October 12, 2022, 09:20:38 AM
I have a room in my house which is not on a thermostat its just got on double radiator (the rest of the house UFH with zoned thermostats)

I was wondering how I could easily regulate the heat in that room so that it wont be cold but also won't call for heat constantly and waste oil.

I was looking at smart radiator valves but don't understand how they work if they are switching off when warm enough wont they just turn off too quickly as they right beside the radiator?

can you not just use a traditional TRV? Turn the rad down low?

I haven't a clue. If i had eat on al time even with TRV and heat down low wont it use more oil than I would like????

I see online it should be used in conjunction with a room stat. I dont have one

Bog standard TRV is your job, there is a frost protection setting that will keep the rad off (valve closed) for the majority of the time but open the valve & heat the rad when it senses things getting really cold and a danger of pipes freezing over. Great job.
You dont need a room stat just for that one rad, in fact when there is a room stat & trv in the same room they can compete against each other so its better you dont have

https://www.screwfix.com/p/white-angled-thermostatic-trv-lockshield-15mm-x/31811

WT4E

Quote from: God14 on October 12, 2022, 12:03:15 PM
I have a room in my house which is not on a thermostat its just got on double radiator (the rest of the house UFH with zoned thermostats)

I was wondering how I could easily regulate the heat in that room so that it wont be cold but also won't call for heat constantly and waste oil.

I was looking at smart radiator valves but don't understand how they work if they are switching off when warm enough wont they just turn off too quickly as they right beside the radiator?

I haven't a clue. If i had eat on al time even with TRV and heat down low wont it use more oil than I would like????

Bog standard TRV is your job, there is a frost protection setting that will keep the rad off (valve closed) for the majority of the time but open the valve & heat the rad when it senses things getting really cold and a danger of pipes freezing over. Great job.
You dont need a room stat just for that one rad, in fact when there is a room stat & trv in the same room they can compete against each other so its better you dont have

https://www.screwfix.com/p/white-angled-thermostatic-trv-lockshield-15mm-x/31811

Thanks God14. So sorry for being stupid on this. If I left my heating on all day then the boiler wouldnt run that radiator alll day it would only call for heat when it was required via the mechanism in the Valve?

God14

Quote from: WT4E on October 12, 2022, 02:12:12 PM

Thanks God14. So sorry for being stupid on this. If I left my heating on all day then the boiler wouldnt run that radiator alll day it would only call for heat when it was required via the mechanism in the Valve?

yes, exactly that

WT4E

Quote from: God14 on October 12, 2022, 02:46:23 PM
Quote from: WT4E on October 12, 2022, 02:12:12 PM

yes, exactly that

Thanks God14 the walkin wardrobe will now be used in Winter! As it will be warm! LOL

RedHand88

Any tilers here or anyone know what they charge a square metre?

knockitdown

RedHand88

Quote from: knockitdown on October 26, 2022, 09:19:36 PM
£22m2 thru the books

Been quoted 20 per square yard, sounds about right then? Though it won't be through the books.

knockitdown

STREET FIGHTER

Perhaps there's a better thread....however....

Anyone any useful recommendations to prevent condensation gathering on the inside of windows at this time of the year....

Just a problem in the winter mornings....

Nanderson

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on November 03, 2022, 09:41:26 PM

Anyone any useful recommendations to prevent condensation gathering on the inside of windows at this time of the year....

I sleep with my window on the latch to improve air flow and I'd never have condensation on the window. Obviously if you like a warm house leaving windows on the latches will let heat escape though

WeeDonns

I've the same problem
Apparently the solution is to install a Positive Input Ventilation (PIV) fan to remove humidity from the air
I had a guy supposed to come over the summer to put one in but never did, thinking of doing it myself

Some people run dehumidifiers in the house if drying washing indoors

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Nanderson on November 04, 2022, 09:01:18 AM

I sleep with my window on the latch to improve air flow and I'd never have condensation on the window. Obviously if you like a warm house leaving windows on the latches will let heat escape though

100%- I'd be happy enough with that in my room although the Missus would have something to say!

It's the kids rooms mainly

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: WeeDonns on November 04, 2022, 09:03:29 AM

I've the same problem
Apparently the solution is to install a Positive Input Ventilation (PIV) fan to remove humidity from the air
I had a guy supposed to come over the summer to put one in but never did, thinking of doing it myself

Thanks- dehumidifiers listed as one of the options online- something to think about...

clarshack

are trickle vents not supposed to prevent this?

Tyrdub

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on November 04, 2022, 09:40:15 AM
Quote from: WeeDonns on November 04, 2022, 09:03:29 AM

I've the same problem

Thanks- dehumidifiers listed as one of the options online- something to think about...

We installed a PIV in the loft of an old farmhouse in the Mournes, used by some societies and clubs. When the building isnt in use it got a lot of condensation and mould, the PIV has alleviated this. Really beneficial