Author Topic: building a house  (Read 42923 times)

Tyrdub

• View Profile
Re: building a house
« Reply #285 on: November 04, 2022, 10:58:34 AM »
Perhaps there's a better thread....however....

Anyone any useful recommendations to prevent condensation gathering on the inside of windows at this time of the year....

Just a problem in the winter mornings....
I've the same problem
Apparently the solution is to install a Positive Input Ventilation (PIV) fan to remove humidity from the air
I had a guy supposed to come over the summer to put one in but never did, thinking of doing it myself

Some people run dehumidifiers in the house if drying washing indoors

Thanks- dehumidifiers listed as one of the options online- something to think about...

We installed a PIV in the loft of an old farmhouse in the Mournes, used by some societies and clubs. When the building isnt in use it got a lot of condensation and mould, the PIV has alleviated this. Really beneficial

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 04, 2022, 11:11:10 AM »
Excessive humidity likely means you've got water getting in somewhere. Warm air can absorb more moisture than cold air. When warm humid air touches cold surface like a window it will drop in temperature and so release water onto the window. So while a dehumidifier works, don't forget to try and determine where the humidity is coming from in the 1st place.

Tyrdub

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 04, 2022, 01:37:07 PM »
yep, this is an old old farmhouse, lots of holes originally, but all filled up now.

Perfect place for a team bonding session up the Mournes

OrchardRow

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 15, 2022, 09:09:21 AM »
Hi everyone,

I put a message in a few months ago and have since started the build. Moving along pretty well at the minute with blockwork moving up to wall plate. Costs have been reasonable so far, but I know the fun is about to start when we get into roofs, windows, M&E, etc.

Just on this - has anyone used a renewable generation installer to design and install their M&E? I am specifically thinking of Dalys in Lisburn. I am bound by mortgage conditions to have a heat pump and triple glaze but would like to explore solar, MVHR systems, etc. while I am at it to make the most of it. You'll only get a chance to do it once!

Any advice or experiences appreciated!

God14

• it aint over til its over
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 15, 2022, 09:33:52 AM »
Hi everyone,

I put a message in a few months ago and have since started the build. Moving along pretty well at the minute with blockwork moving up to wall plate. Costs have been reasonable so far, but I know the fun is about to start when we get into roofs, windows, M&E, etc.

Just on this - has anyone used a renewable generation installer to design and install their M&E? I am specifically thinking of Dalys in Lisburn. I am bound by mortgage conditions to have a heat pump and triple glaze but would like to explore solar, MVHR systems, etc. while I am at it to make the most of it. You'll only get a chance to do it once!

Any advice or experiences appreciated!

PV panels with integrated Battery storage is something im interested in myself. 14nr 400w PV panels with a 5KW battery storage wont eliminate your electric bill, but will dramatically reduce it. Generate your own energy through the day, store it, and use it in the evening when your home from work

Walter Cronc

• UTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 21, 2022, 09:43:20 PM »
Slightly off topic but has anyone got one of those ring doorbells? Seems to be a few options cost wise online.

snoopdog

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 21, 2022, 10:00:14 PM »
Slightly off topic but has anyone got one of those ring doorbells? Seems to be a few options cost wise online.
I have one. Just linked to the phone. To be honest it's a pain in the Hole. Can get an add on like a bell for inside. I need to get one. If your phones on silent which it usually is working from home you miss alot of calls.

RedHand88

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 21, 2022, 10:03:03 PM »
I have one. Just linked to the phone. To be honest it's a pain in the Hole. Can get an add on like a bell for inside. I need to get one. If your phones on silent which it usually is working from home you miss alot of calls.

So if you have your phone on silent it doesn't even ring?

Jeepers Creepers

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 21, 2022, 10:07:56 PM »
Buy an indoor chime (bell) and a spare battery. They take hours to charge.

JohnDenver

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 22, 2022, 08:34:04 AM »

If you have an alexa device like an echo dot - you can use it as your chime i'm nearly sure?