Oasis at Slane

Started by armagh leg-end, June 16, 2009, 02:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louth Exile

Its Carnage out there at the moment!!!

The brother in law rang me looking for lift back to Navan as he's had enough of the one hour + queues for a pint, lads pucking all over the shop and the complete mess, Prodigy are terrible his says. Rang my own brother to verify reports, he was standing in a queue for the last 40 mins and expected to be another 30, just for a pint!!! Not worth it

Told the brother in law I would pick him up, but start walking, as I am not leaving the house until this barnstormer of a leinster Hurling championship match was over  ;) Who needs Munster hurling with this stuff  :D
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

corn02

Quote from: Louth Exile on June 20, 2009, 08:19:49 PM
Its Carnage out there at the moment!!!

The brother in law rang me looking for lift back to Navan as he's had enough of the one hour + queues for a pint, lads pucking all over the shop and the complete mess, Prodigy are terrible his says. Rang my own brother to verify reports, he was standing in a queue for the last 40 mins and expected to be another 30, just for a pint!!! Not worth it

Told the brother in law I would pick him up, but start walking, as I am not leaving the house until this barnstormer of a leinster Hurling championship match was over  ;) Who needs Munster hurling with this stuff  :D

Everyone there seemed to love the Prodigy, they were excellent.

A lot less messes than usual too. Actually thought there was a distinct lack of carnage.

The one-hour wait for the bar was a joke though.

rolloutking

QuoteIts Carnage out there at the moment!!!

Told the brother in law I would pick him up, but start walking, as I am not leaving the house until this barnstormer of a leinster Hurling championship match was over   Who needs Munster hurling with this stuff 

Gardai said there were no major incidents or injuries reported at Slane Castle as Oasis rocked the night with 80,000 ecstatic fans.
Just 10 people were arrested throughout the day for public order offences, while two motorists were held on suspicion of drink driving.
Security was tight as revellers started to descend on the village of Slane, Co Meath, including thousands of teenagers celebrating the end of the Leaving Cert.
Copyright © 2009 The Press Association. All rights reserved.

-------

You would have to be there to know if it was carnage and how you actually heard someone on the phone if they were at a 80000 sell out gig with a booming sound system is strange. So what if there was people drunk. Its a rock gig, what do you expect.

The Prodigy where brilliant.

Well worth it

Louth Exile

Quote from: rolloutking on June 21, 2009, 03:08:36 PM
You would have to be there to know if it was carnage and how you actually heard someone on the phone if they were at a 80000 sell out gig with a booming sound system is strange. So what if there was people drunk. Its a rock gig, what do you expect.

You must have been one of the ones finishing the leaving cert  :P

I'd say I've been to more rock gigs than you have had hot dinners and still going to them, I saw Oasis in 95 & 96 when they were good, same as that with the Prodigy. Last time I saw the Prodigy was the last witness in Fairyhouse and they were terrible compared to the previous time I saw them!

Anyway, to my point, its not hard to hear a lad when he is walking up the road!! Spoke to my own people after the gig and they reported no major carnage either, same as rest on here. The brother in law is a bit of a novice, that is a ridiculuous wait for a pint, I'd still never leave a gig, just cause I couldn't get a pint!!!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

rolloutking

QuoteYou must have been one of the ones finishing the leaving cert 

I'd say I've been to more rock gigs than you have had hot dinners and still going to them, I saw Oasis in 95 & 96 when they were good, same as that with the Prodigy. Last time I saw the Prodigy was the last witness in Fairyhouse and they were terrible compared to the previous time I saw them!

Anyway, to my point, its not hard to hear a lad when he is walking up the road!! Spoke to my own people after the gig and they reported no major carnage either, same as rest on here. The brother in law is a bit of a novice, that is a ridiculuous wait for a pint, I'd still never leave a gig, just cause I couldn't get a pint!!!

Aye that's right. I have just finished the leaving cert. You have me rumbled. You should be a detective

I would seriously doubt you have been to more rock gigs than me.

QuoteProdigy are terrible his says.

I assumed that meant the Prodigy where on stage when he rang. Otherwise you just don't know how to speak properly.

You obviously don't realise and appreciate the difference between studio and live music

Whitehair

Such a weekend that was. Headed to the Prodigy on friday night in Newcastle, got about 3 hours sleep after a house party then took a notion to head to Slane saturday morning without a ticket. Missed the bus home after it and by chance a fella i know recognised me and my mate by the roadside and gave us a lift back to Belfast. My body and wallet are pretty worse for wear today though. No complaints about any of the acts or the crowd and luckily the weather was dead on.

Louth Exile

I am not getting into a spat with you over this, I don't really know how good or bad the Prodigy were last night, I was relaying what I was told at the time (to be honest I was more interested in the hurling)

The last time I saw the Prodigy they were awful, The Fat of the Land is their stand out album and I can't see any reason why an act like theirs would improve with age! Oasis first two albums were brilliant, their first being a must own album and one of those defining moments in music. However, none of their work after this is anywhere close to the same level!! These days I'd much rather go see Blur, their overall back catalogue is more impressive, even if they never produced one album that was a pure classic.

I'm glad it was a good gig, most of my parish seemed to have been at it. Would have paid €20 to go myself if I didn't have other commitments this weekend.

rolloutking

They have reverted back to their breaks and syth sound, made their shows more visually appealing and worked with a few top names such as Dave Grohl from the Foo's.

Oasis' set was dominated with their early hits, Dont look back in anger, Supersonic, Cigarettes and Alcohol, Roll with it etc. It reminded me off the Wembly gigs in 2000

It was well worth the £80 I paid

Did I hear Noel correctly when he introduced Chris Sharrock by saying "this is our fifth and final drummer"?

Jimmy

Was at the gig myself. Thought it was an excellant show but I'm a big Oasis fan anyway. It was defenitley a better gig than the Belfat shows in October just becasue of a lot less scum bags around the place. There were alot of prodigy fans there and you could tell them a mile off in there florecent gear. Kasabian were also excellant and am going to see them in Belfast tomorrow night.

Louth Exile

Joe Duffy show going to town on it at moment and not just the Bars  :o

lfdown2

jaysus cant believe the uproar about slane, i thought it was absolutely brilliant, always have a great day at slane, thought oasis and kasabian were brilliant, granted we walked out the gate and another 500 yards to the camp site so that maybe had a big bearing, down friday night couple of pints in pub in slane over to the campsite and a slap more, up sat morn bacon on the bbq slap of beer and burgers on the bbq before we headed over, seemed very friendly atmosphere and didnt notice anyone too under the weather, great weekend all around

laceer

Slane was deadly, as usual. Kasabian were excellent. Oasis have good enough tunes that they don't have to interact with the crowd for it to be a good gig. Prodigy were the highlight for me - the crowd were going mad for them

I got a bus back into dublin and it wasn't too bad - 45mins getting out of slane and 45 mins getting into dublin

Sickens me to hear some fannys left because of a queue for the bar (2 litres of vodka and coke hid down the trousers meant i didn't have to queue for the bar) and because people were puking and taking drugs but whatever floats your boat. It was a rock and roll gig for f**k sake!

Rav67

Quote from: lfdown2 on June 23, 2009, 02:12:27 PM
jaysus cant believe the uproar about slane, i thought it was absolutely brilliant, always have a great day at slane, thought oasis and kasabian were brilliant, granted we walked out the gate and another 500 yards to the camp site so that maybe had a big bearing, down friday night couple of pints in pub in slane over to the campsite and a slap more, up sat morn bacon on the bbq slap of beer and burgers on the bbq before we headed over, seemed very friendly atmosphere and didnt notice anyone too under the weather, great weekend all around

You on slane farm campsite?

I thought it was a good atmosphere as usual, saw no arguments, plenty of people fairly full as I was but don't recall seeing people lying round puking or anything.  Oasis were brilliant.  I'd say the hassle getting hom would ruin your buzz but if its a big problem for anyone they can always camp- and given that the campsites aren't on the premises it means you can take your car in so its handy.