Student Loans

Started by Mickey Linden, March 02, 2009, 09:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey Linden

Well lads just a quick question regarding student loans. I have been working down in Dublin for the past year and a half and havent paid any contributions to my student loan. I got a letter saying that I might be subject to a 246 per month charge as Im out of the country. I was wondering has anyone else had a similar experience and what should I tell the student loan company? I would be happy to pay back a standard 50 per month or whatever but couldnt afford to pay 246. Cheers

bailestil

Working in the south myself. I always meant to go and get the student loan payments sorted. Are they so high cause you didn't keep up to date or is that what they are supposed to be?

youngfella

I heard that if you bugger of to oz for a few years that the loan company forget about ya. I dunno if this true or not, anyone got any ideas?
Pull hard and early

SidelineKick

Sorry to hi jack your thread but what are the payments roughly a week? I'm in the north, prob a loan of around £10k.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Mickey Linden

Im not sure how much the repayments are actually supposed to be. However I do know that my girlfriend is a teacher and she pays around £50 per month. This is automatically taken from her pay. I think they are only threatening to charge me £246 per month as I have not informed them of my whereabouts. Its hard to know what I would be safer saying. Im not sure if they can automatically deduct from my pay in the south. As i said earlier I dont mind paying a resonable amount per month.

bailestil

You def can't jump to oz and try and forget about it. They hunted my brother down to sydney. For a rather trivial amount compared to today's loans. I paid about 50pm when i worked in north. I might just ring them and try and pay that again every month. Should keep them happy.

Lazer

I think your meant to pay 9%  of all earnings over £15,000 per year
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

SidelineKick

"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

bailestil

Yeah thats half the problem with paying when your out of the country. If i pay it while in the south i.ll be making the payments after my tax is deducted. But in the north they would be before tax is deducted!
Which is a bollox.

The Gs Man

About £80-90 per month for me.  I only had about £4k as well. All fun and games at the time though!
Keep 'er lit

Jimmy

They started taking money out of my wages last year. It was only £18 per month. The payments have gone down after I got my pay cut last month (God dam credit crunch). It doesn't really seem worth taking out now!

£246 does seem alot to be paying back either that or my wages are for F*@k all, even before they were cut.

charlie stubbs

mickey, had a booklet in work lasyt year when was doing wages.depends how much you earn.  it something like £1 for every hundred quid over 15k e.g. if you earn 15100 you would have to get 1 quid deducted from mon thly wage 15500 a fiver etc

Hereiam

It looks like the ole student loan is gona be the governments target for making a few pound off by increasing interest rates come september to 4.4%. This is gona affect alot of people.

charlie stubbs

Quote from: Mickey Linden on March 02, 2009, 11:20:41 AM
Im not sure how much the repayments are actually supposed to be. However I do know that my girlfriend is a teacher and she pays around £50 per month. This is automatically taken from her pay. I think they are only threatening to charge me £246 per month as I have not informed them of my whereabouts. Its hard to know what I would be safer saying. Im not sure if they can automatically deduct from my pay in the south. As i said earlier I dont mind paying a resonable amount per month.
fiance-just edited that 4 you mickey!  ;)

Rois

You've got to contact them and tell them what you earn, otherwise they will impose that "default" amount of £290 or whatever.  You'll be subject to the same 9% of earnings - though not sure if it will be before or after tax.  Think your threshold may be a bit higher. 
Main thing - contact student loans.