Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

BackInTheGame

Swatragh, Glen and Bellaghy all £3 too if I remember correctly.

Waataboutyee

Quote from: Buzzkill on April 30, 2018, 05:33:57 PM
Quote from: Waataboutyee on April 30, 2018, 09:57:59 AM
Quote from: shawshank on April 30, 2018, 09:49:48 AM
Quote from: call it as i see it on April 30, 2018, 09:32:04 AM
Quote from: Buzzkill on April 30, 2018, 09:14:38 AM
Are Ballinderry the only club to put up prices to club league games?

No slaughtneil did the same went to watch slaugtneil an ballinderry and was charged £5 every other club was charging £3

that's a funny thing, I was just commenting on that to a friend of mines recently about when was the last time there was an increase into club league games. It is £3 for as long as I can recall. £5 is fair enough rate to charge in my view.
Neither price is correct gents. County board directive to increase prices from £3 to £4 for all senior league games, so don't blame the poor gate men.

Not blaming the gate men at all, just wondering if there has been an increase as this was the first time I have seen the cost going up. Been at Screen, Magherafelt, Slaughneil, Glenullin and Coleraine this year and they have all been £3 as normal.

Ty4Sam

Just for reference Tyrone upped entry fee to £5 for all club games this year.

toby47

Quote from: Ty4Sam on May 01, 2018, 09:30:32 AM

I think in round £5 is grand. £3 is a bargain!

The Bearded One

Quote from: Ty4Sam on May 01, 2018, 09:30:32 AM

In almost every case there are 2 games, a reserve game followed by the senior fixture.
It is what it is. Presumably.

toby47

Derry website says Bellaghy conceded to Magherafelt last night in the Hughes/McElwee cup. Was at last years final between Bellaghy and Screen where Francis Hughes brother handed over the cup and made a very passionate speech about both men and their link with Bellaghy. Bit strange if that one year later they are conceding games in the competition.

You, Yew and Ewe

A third of the way through the leagues and I'm already relishing the prospect of a very competitive division 2 next season.   

Banagher and Foreglen have no real competition this season and will stroll through the league, with the winners of that game likely being champions, but will they want to go up or stay in Division 2?   The gap between the top two or three in Division 2 and the bottom half dozen teams in Division 1 is minimal, with each capable of beating each other.  The gap then to the top eight or nine teams in the county is huge.

So would the teams in the bottom half of Division 1 be glad to be playing in tight competitive games next season with the chance of winning more than the odd game, i.e. Division 2 , or do they prefer the prestige of playing in the top division but struggle through a league campaign knowing they are a weak link in that league?

Would playing in Division 1 against the best in the county inspire the 'weaker' teams to improve, or would getting beat most weeks dishearten the players and discourage their supporters?

Would a very competitive season or two in Division 2 better prepare teams for the rigours of Division 1 and give them a better chance to consolidate their style of play and help them stay up long-term?

water boy

Yes division 2 will be very competitive next year, I wouldn't rule out Steelstown or Castledawson in taking points off Forglen and Banagher just yet. Both have very young sides.

As Greenlough proved the teams bottom of Division 1 are capable of competing at championship, but over a season it can be tougher on the smaller squads due to different players missing various games with weddings/stags/injuries/work.

oakleaflad

Quote from: water boy on May 01, 2018, 02:18:32 PM
Yes division 2 will be very competitive next year, I wouldn't rule out Steelstown or Castledawson in taking points off Forglen and Banagher just yet. Both have very young sides.

As Greenlough proved the teams bottom of Division 1 are capable of competing at championship, but over a season it can be tougher on the smaller squads due to different players missing various games with weddings/stags/injuries/work.
Banagher are a cut above the rest in this division in my opinion. Faughanvale have been fairly disappointing so far having got to the championship final last year.

On a broader note I'm not sure the leagues needed changing. Claudy will probably struggle in Division 1 and Drum in Division 2 this year but some of the teams who will be relegated from Division 2 to 3 next year could give the Ardmore's, Colmcilles, Dolans etc. almighty hammerings that doesn't really benefit anyone - we've already seen Limavady dish them out this year.

JoG2

Claudy and Greenlough look favourites to be relegated at this early stage, though Greenlough have played a lot of big hitters already. Their game against Newbridge at the weekend is massive.

Swatragh have been seriously competitive for the most part in their 3 defeats. Think they will end up mid-table.

You'd have to fear for Kilrea and 'Screen. All doesn't look well in both camps. Be interesting to see how many of the 4 available points either team picks up during this week. Kilrea have the Robbies and Coleraine, 'Screen have Bellaghy and Dungiven. Bellaghy will have a fairly uncomfortable run in to the end of the season too I'd say.

Prediction:
Div 1
12: Bellaghy
13: Greenlough
14: Ballinascreen
15: Kilrea
16: Claudy

Can someone clarify the following. Top of Div 2, automatic promotion, 2nd in Div 2 play 5th from bottom in Div 1 in a play-off, correct?

oakleaflad

Quote from: JoG2 on May 01, 2018, 02:45:56 PM
Claudy and Greenlough look favourites to be relegated at this early stage, though Greenlough have played a lot of big hitters already. Their game against Newbridge at the weekend is massive.

Swatragh have been seriously competitive for the most part in their 3 defeats. Think they will end up mid-table.

You'd have to fear for Kilrea and 'Screen. All doesn't look well in both camps. Be interesting to see how many of the 4 available points either team picks up during this week. Kilrea have the Robbies and Coleraine, 'Screen have Bellaghy and Dungiven. Bellaghy will have a fairly uncomfortable run in to the end of the season too I'd say.

Prediction:
Div 1

Can someone clarify the following. Top of Div 2, automatic promotion, 2nd in Div 2 play 5th from bottom in Div 1 in a play-off, correct?
It's my understanding that it's top of Division 2 that plays the playoff with 5th from bottom and no automatic promotion this year. Same with top of Div 3 playing 7th from bottom in Div 2 in a playoff. Open to correction.

toby47

Quote from: oakleaflad on May 01, 2018, 02:49:06 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on May 01, 2018, 02:45:56 PM

Prediction:
Div 1

It's my understanding that it's top of Division 2 that plays the playoff with 5th from bottom and no automatic promotion this year. Same with top of Div 3 playing 7th from bottom in Div 2 in a playoff. Open to correction.

Correct

Mario

How do they decide the 16 teams in the senior championship next year? Presumably it will be the 12 division one teams but how are the 4 other teams decided?

Rawhide

Quote from: Mario on May 01, 2018, 03:05:34 PM
How do they decide the 16 teams in the senior championship next year? Presumably it will be the 12 division one teams but how are the 4 other teams decided?

Mario, anybody can play senior championship if they want to. So in theory all of the clubs in Derry could put themselves forward to play in the senior championship. Think of Glenullin recently who play intermediate/division 2, but played in the senior championship.
cccc is a true supporter lol

Mario

Quote from: Rawhide on May 01, 2018, 03:09:00 PM
Quote from: Mario on May 01, 2018, 03:05:34 PM

Mario, anybody can play senior championship if they want to. So in theory all of the clubs in Derry could put themselves forward to play in the senior championship. Think of Glenullin recently who play intermediate/division 2, but played in the senior championship.
Yeah i remember that, but the default position was always the 16 Div 1 teams, that was a one off as Glenullin didn't want their pride hurt.  I suppose my question is what is the default position next year?