Senior Hurling Club Championship 2015

Started by redsetanta, March 06, 2015, 09:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crow

merman

I understand Colin Delaney broke his collar-bone against R/E in the leaue final. Dooley came on wing back after about 40 mins; Holmes corner-forward for the last 10.

I was very impressed with Abbeyleix for about 40 mins. They were intelligent, energetic and clinical and were 14-7 up before RE woke up. Paddy Purcell was immense and single-handidly dragged them back into the game. Abbeyleix will rue a couple of bad wides at crucial times and when their discipline deserted them Mark Kavanagh wasn't going to err. The red card was utter madness and Corby could have no complaints. The resulting free was mis-struck and ended up deceiving Rowland and going straight in. The stuffing was well and truly knocked-out of Abbeyleix at this stage but I feel R/E were in the ascendency regardless and would have went on to win.
R/E will benefit from a few weeks of serious training but on this weekend's form they'll go in as underdogs against B/K for me.

Ballinakill were quite comfortable in seeing off a regrettably toothless Castletown side. C/town made it difficult and were combatitive but just lacked the scoring threat that a Cha Dwyer carries. Dylan Conroy's goal should have given them a shot in the arm but B/kill tacked on 2/3 quick points and the game was over shortly inside the last 10.
B/kill were lively and are strong in crucial areas but have a couple of square pegs in round holes and one would have to imagine that Camross will be a step too far.

Heshs Umpire

Will Castletown be under pressure to stay up folks? I wouldn't see many club hurling games but I'd imagine losing the Slieve Bloom players will weaken them a lot?
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Spillane

Quote from: Heshs Umpire on July 21, 2015, 08:26:56 AM
Will Castletown be under pressure to stay up folks? I wouldn't see many club hurling games but I'd imagine losing the Slieve Bloom players will weaken them a lot?

I'd imagine the Harps must be under the most pressure after getting a heavy beating from B/K, they now have to face another strong Clough/Ballacolla outfit. Both Castletown anf Abbeyleix will be happy with their draw and will be eyeing each other up.

On the winners side Camross should be too strong for Ballinakil but then again they have to quieten the best hurler in  the county in my opinion Cha. The other match can go either way, but i expect Rathdowney to edge it. Another 4 weeks they'll probably have King back in.

merman

Rathdowney/Errill will be missing Paddy Purcell and Ross King for the B/K game; they have gone to Boston on a 30-day transfer. That tips the scales drastically in B/K's favour.

I would be very worried for Castletown as I can't see them beating Abbeyleix...

finbar o tool

Quote from: merman on July 21, 2015, 11:33:10 AM
Rathdowney/Errill will be missing Paddy Purcell and Ross King for the B/K game; they have gone to Boston on a 30-day transfer. That tips the scales drastically in B/K's favour.

I would be very worried for Castletown as I can't see them beating Abbeyleix...

i still wouldn't write R/E off, but that's a huge loss! by all accounts, Purcell kept R/E in that game on his own at the week end.
is King fully fit now or whats the story?

An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

merman

Quote from: finbar o tool on July 21, 2015, 11:44:53 AM

i still wouldn't write R/E off, but that's a huge loss! by all accounts, Purcell kept R/E in that game on his own at the week end.
is King fully fit now or whats the story?

I think it would be a huge set-back for B/K and Ken Hogan if they don't beat R/E.

Purcell was arguably the best player on view all weekend.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: finbar o tool on July 19, 2015, 09:29:12 PM
The draw is as follows:
Winners- B/K v R/E, Camross v Ballinakill.

Losers- Abbeyleix v Castletown, Harps v C/B.

B/K v R/E a very interesting match up.

Are there dates set for these matches, yet?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on July 22, 2015, 01:01:33 AM
Quote from: finbar o tool on July 19, 2015, 09:29:12 PM
The draw is as follows:
Winners- B/K v R/E, Camross v Ballinakill.

Losers- Abbeyleix v Castletown, Harps v C/B.

B/K v R/E a very interesting match up.

Are there dates set for these matches, yet?
Yes Bruce. 15th August for the two losers games and 16th August for the two winners games.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Mossy Bruce

LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

TheGreatGame

Out of the frying pan, into the fire for The Harps alright.  They are a bit unlucky to have got both B/K and C/B on the bounce, but then I don't think their performance the first day of the championship would have troubled many teams.  I still think they will stay up but it's getting close to squeaky bum time!

I'm with merman on the B/K V R/E game; minus both Roddy and Purcell, the game enters must win territory for B/K.  I think they will do it and be one of the guaranteed semi-finalists. 

finbar o tool

I wonder how B/K will cope in "must win territory" and i also wonder how R/E will cope as underdogs?? its usually easier to be the underdog!
B/K must deliver now if they have ambitions this year, i feel they have been shackled mentally a bit since that final in 2012 if that makes sense, they seem to have gotten over that somewhat this year but, realistically, its only been one game against poor opposition...im sure they were quietly confident of getting over the harps, different scenario now, even with R/E missing the 2 lads.
by the way are they DEFINITELY going to be missing? i heard they are not going to the US for long.

anyone any opinions on why R/E were left for dead by Abbeyleix for the first 45 minutes of the game? were they asleep or out-hurled? did they maybe take Abbeyleix for granted?

its a case of 'shit or get off the pot' for both B/K and R/E now!

i didnt get to see Ballinakill play but if Camross play as they did against C/B i feel they will have enough to win.
again, didnt see Abbeyleix or Castletown in action but you would have to lean towards Abbeyleix to win as they seem to be flying it and even though they lost the game to R/E, they will surely be able to take a lot from the game that they were happy with and can be confident for the next round.
easy enough call in the last match unfortunately for the Harps, can only see one winner here. C/B need to use this match to sort out their problems and drive on from there.

possibly a bit early to make predictions but for me, its a win for B/K, Camross, Abbeyleix and C/B in the next round.

merman

Lads flew out Monday.

They've signed the minimum allowable 30-day transfer so though they could well come home sooner they won't be available until the Wednesday after the B/K game.

finbar o tool

Quote from: merman on July 23, 2015, 08:52:59 PM
Lads flew out Monday.

They've signed the minimum allowable 30-day transfer so though they could well come home sooner they won't be available until the Wednesday after the B/K game.

thanks Merman!

redledbetter

Does anyone know the prospective dates set for the next round of Senior are?

Also, what's the situation with players going up from lower grade to Senior (or other higher) grade - can you be brought up at any stage or is there a cutoff date/round? I presume if you go up and don't play, you can still line-out at the lower grade?