Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

What sort of miles are people covering. I just started running this year after retiring from the football at the end of 2016. So did nothing at all in 2017 but started running twice a week now. Am trying to follow a plan but it's seems to be very low miles  3 milers, 5K interval running, hill sprints etc. But it doesn't seem to ramp up at all. I've been trying to ensure I'm taking rest days as well but kinda feel I'm not pushing on anymore. I ideally would like to do a 10 miler or half marathon. Was signed up for the Bundoran 10 Mile but had to withdraw due to a clash with something else. I'm running 10K fairly easily now albeit not in fantastic times (Around 46 Mins).

So was just wondering if I should be pushing up on the miles myself? What would your standard weeks running look like?   

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

andoireabu

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 07, 2018, 08:21:51 PM
Not track - trail. (Assuming you mean running track?)

Ramp up your running gradually to condition your body too. Rule is ten percent per week. None to loads equals sure injury.

I would also suggest if you just started out run at a comfortable pace for you. I.e the tank should not be empty. Makes it much easier to build up.

Would you say running on a track is a bad idea or have I taken this up wrong? Was going to do a bit of trsck running as I figured it would be softer than the roads.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Hereiam

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 08, 2018, 03:43:30 PM
What sort of miles are people covering. I just started running this year after retiring from the football at the end of 2016. So did nothing at all in 2017 but started running twice a week now. Am trying to follow a plan but it's seems to be very low miles  3 milers, 5K interval running, hill sprints etc. But it doesn't seem to ramp up at all. I've been trying to ensure I'm taking rest days as well but kinda feel I'm not pushing on anymore. I ideally would like to do a 10 miler or half marathon. Was signed up for the Bundoran 10 Mile but had to withdraw due to a clash with something else. I'm running 10K fairly easily now albeit not in fantastic times (Around 46 Mins).

So was just wondering if I should be pushing up on the miles myself? What would your standard weeks running look like?   

Sort of in the same place as yourself. Out twice a week doing 3-4 miles but doing 2 nites in the gym. I have a couple of 5 mile runs coming up but its taking time to increase the pace. Have got to a 81/2 min mile avg would like to get to an 8. Have been hit with a clod lately and missed a whole week out. I know about this week, its like i never went to the gym or ran in my life.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Hereiam on March 08, 2018, 04:29:30 PM

Sort of in the same place as yourself. Out twice a week doing 3-4 miles but doing 2 nites in the gym. I have a couple of 5 mile runs coming up but its taking time to increase the pace. Have got to a 81/2 min mile avg would like to get to an 8. Have been hit with a clod lately and missed a whole week out. I know about this week, its like i never went to the gym or ran in my life.

I'm just worried that I'm not progressing. The thing I find is that I'm doing threadmill running in the evenings as it's usually after 8pm when I run and being stuck out in the country it's just easier to jump on the thread mill than drive into town. So I like being able to do the short runs during the week as longer runs on the threadmill would do your head in. Then I usually try and go out and do the odd 10K at the weekend. But the recovery times I'm getting for doing a 10K seems to be about 3-4 days. Is that right? I've been at pains not to overdo it as I hate getting an injury and being laid up. But it means that I only really get 2-3 runs in a week. Then I hear about others who are running 4-5 times a week and I'm thinking should I just do the same?

Hereiam

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 08, 2018, 04:38:01 PM
Quote from: Hereiam on March 08, 2018, 04:29:30 PM

I'm just worried that I'm not progressing. The thing I find is that I'm doing threadmill running in the evenings as it's usually after 8pm when I run and being stuck out in the country it's just easier to jump on the thread mill than drive into town. So I like being able to do the short runs during the week as longer runs on the threadmill would do your head in. Then I usually try and go out and do the odd 10K at the weekend. But the recovery times I'm getting for doing a 10K seems to be about 3-4 days. Is that right? I've been at pains not to overdo it as I hate getting an injury and being laid up. But it means that I only really get 2-3 runs in a week. Then I hear about others who are running 4-5 times a week and I'm thinking should I just do the same?

I know myself i am going to start doing short sprints during the runs to build up the speed

laoislad

I'm trying to average about 25 miles a week until June when Marathon training starts. Most of it slow and easy with the odd interval or tempo run.
Mix of treadmill and outside running.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

trueblue1234

Do you just do 3 x 8 milers or 4 x 6 miles, or 5 x 5miles?

I seem to struggle to get it all fitted in in a week.

laoislad

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 08, 2018, 05:06:40 PM
Do you just do 3 x 8 milers or 4 x 6 miles, or 5 x 5miles?

I seem to struggle to get it all fitted in in a week.
It be a complete mix if I'm honest. Might do 3 miles one day and 10 miles the next. I've no real set plan at the moment. I get out whenever I can and I have running gear in the car all the time so I sometimes go for a run at lunchtime or on the way home from work. Have a treadmill at home also so log a good few miles on that. I actually don't mind running on a treadmill at all.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

Quote from: andoireabu on March 08, 2018, 04:10:57 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 07, 2018, 08:21:51 PM
Not track - trail. (Assuming you mean running track?)

Ramp up your running gradually to condition your body too. Rule is ten percent per week. None to loads equals sure injury.

I would also suggest if you just started out run at a comfortable pace for you. I.e the tank should not be empty. Makes it much easier to build up.

Would you say running on a track is a bad idea or have I taken this up wrong? Was going to do a bit of trsck running as I figured it would be softer than the roads.

For focused training - e.g. reps - good for once a week. You should do more training off than on it.

Quite repetitive and one sided but sparingly training on track a useful tool for getting quicker.

Don Johnson

Tried to search for running 'trails' with not much joy. Can anyone tell me if there are any round North Armagh direction?

magpie seanie

Trueblue - there is loads of information out there on running training. One I think that had a lot of free content and made sense was http://www.halhigdon.com/ . You're possibly just going out and running at the same pace all the time and that will end up with you wearing down and not improving (after some initial gains). To really improve you need to mix up your runs/paces and also mix in some cross training. I'm at the lower end of the running levels and I know if I do a flat out/as fast as I can long run it does take 3/4 days before it's out of my legs. Others might advise on how to recover quicker than that but the key is to minimise the times you're actually "racing".

Hope I've explained it but maybe I haven't. There's plenty of information out there though to assist. Having a target to work towards is always good.....what do you want to achieve?

trueblue1234

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 09, 2018, 08:55:33 AM
Trueblue - there is loads of information out there on running training. One I think that had a lot of free content and made sense was http://www.halhigdon.com/ . You're possibly just going out and running at the same pace all the time and that will end up with you wearing down and not improving (after some initial gains). To really improve you need to mix up your runs/paces and also mix in some cross training. I'm at the lower end of the running levels and I know if I do a flat out/as fast as I can long run it does take 3/4 days before it's out of my legs. Others might advise on how to recover quicker than that but the key is to minimise the times you're actually "racing".

Hope I've explained it but maybe I haven't. There's plenty of information out there though to assist. Having a target to work towards is always good.....what do you want to achieve?

Cheers MS. The problem is nearly that there's too much info out there. It's hard work trying to pick a training plan as there's so many websites and blogs. It's nearly data overload.

So rather than doing just normal runs as quick as I can, what the options,

Intervals (I'm trying to do one a week of these. .8K spring and .2 K walk, no idea if that's right. Usually do x 4)
Hill sprints (Haven't really got into these yet but plan to)
Then I'm stumped?

magpie seanie

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 09, 2018, 09:11:22 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 09, 2018, 08:55:33 AM

Cheers MS. The problem is nearly that there's too much info out there. It's hard work trying to pick a training plan as there's so many websites and blogs. It's nearly data overload.

So rather than doing just normal runs as quick as I can, what the options,

Intervals (I'm trying to do one a week of these. .8K spring and .2 K walk, no idea if that's right. Usually do x 4)
Hill sprints (Haven't really got into these yet but plan to)
Then I'm stumped?

Tempo runs, Long slow runs, easy pace.......most of your runs should be done at a pace where you could hold a conversation. As for tempo runs - idea is you start off slowly and build up to a strongly paced middle portion and then ease off again for the last piece. One time I was specifically training to improve my 5k time I'd do 1k easy, 3k at my desired 5k pace and 1k easy. It really improved me and eventually I was able to maintain the requisite pace for 5k and beat my time.

As I say I'm a bit of an amateur so some of the other lads here might give you a better steer but I'd say - just find a plan that makes sense and seems doable and stick to it for a while. See how you go.

lfdown2

Quote from: Don Johnson on March 09, 2018, 08:28:49 AM
Tried to search for running 'trails' with not much joy. Can anyone tell me if there are any round North Armagh direction?

I'd say Gosford Park would have plenty of paths in that area. Any forest park would have plenty, I would do a lot in Castlewellan forest park and Tollymore, do a good bit of it at night with a head torch - hard to beat it!

imtommygunn

Variations of training runs from my experience which may or may not help...

- hill reps - intent is to build leg strength and form. Find a reasonably steep hill and do minute reps. Start with 4 or 6 and progress it with 2 extra every other week up until about say 12. This is strength building so early in regime. N.b. The focus is form here not how fast you do them. Intent is last same speed as first.
- Fartlek- this is about pick ups over shortish periods on runs. So for example i do these in a forest where there is a two mile loop with about 5 hills. I pick up on the hills.
- intervals - there are many variations on these. My recommendation would be do a block of hill reps prior to these. They are not sprints so do at a controlled pace. e.g. We used to do 400s at 5k pace off 2 minutes so for example at the time i did 90 second 400s with 30 second rest. Start at about 6 and build up by 2 every other week up until about 12.
- tempo run - best form of training. 20 minutes "comfortably hard" so you should be on the edge of breathlessness but not quite there. If you do these with a bit of discipline you will really improve.
- long run. A must. You should run for over an hour once a week. Comfortable pace.
- recovery run. If you do back to back days then do one at a very comfortable pace.

There are variations on intervals duration wise etc but the above is how i started. Few weeks fartlek on tuesday, tempo on thursday long run sunday. Then tuesday moved to hill reps then itmoved to 400s. At the end of that you will be fit. Also bed hills into runs as they are massively helpful.

Focused training can improve you massively.