The WINE thread

Started by CitySlicker11, December 11, 2014, 11:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

It's an exponential price v quality rise (up to a point) with wine.

Every bottle on wine has a lot of basic (similar) fixed costs: glass, labeling, tax, marketing, production, transport,  mark up etc - so if you buy a £5 bottle...how much are you actually paying for the wine....perhaps around £4.50 fixed costs and maybe 50p wine?

If you buy a £10 bottle, you pay roughly the same fixed costs, but get maybe £5.50 wine

Personally I think there is a point where the ££ doesn't justify the (supposed) difference in quality and taste but certainly I think it;s worth paying that little but extra in the £10-£20 range for a decent bottle

seafoid

I had a bottle of M Chapoutier côtes du Rhône villages les Pentues for €10 yesterday and it was lovely. Chapoutier is a good name to follow .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ziggy90

I was in Slovakia last week and was given a bottle of this to sample. It's from Czechia (I didn't even know they made wine) and is right up there with the best red wine I've ever tasted. And its 15.5%.

https://images.app.goo.gl/MCQpSYYX5TSfvZn98
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: ziggy90 on September 21, 2020, 11:18:00 AM
I was in Slovakia last week and was given a bottle of this to sample. It's from Czechia (I didn't even know they made wine) and is right up there with the best red wine I've ever tasted. And its 15.5%.

https://images.app.goo.gl/MCQpSYYX5TSfvZn98

Hungary, Poland and the Czechs have some quality stuff. They tend not to export it though

Milltown Row2

Was given a couple of wines today's as a gift,  Finca Los Principes El Rihuelo Rioja. Looking forward to Friday already! Virgin wines.

Got a introductory box of wines from Naked wines the other day, £46 quid for 12 bottles, whites and reds, decent set in fairness.

Anywhere else doing the introductory stuff?

Still using Portugal vineyards, great stuff
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 21, 2020, 09:35:36 PM
Was given a couple of wines today's as a gift,  Finca Los Principes El Rihuelo Rioja. Looking forward to Friday already! Virgin wines.

Got a introductory box of wines from Naked wines the other day, £46 quid for 12 bottles, whites and reds, decent set in fairness.

What you getting from Portugal Vineyards?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 21, 2020, 11:06:59 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 21, 2020, 09:35:36 PM

What you getting from Portugal Vineyards?

Porta 6 predominantly, 12 bottles for £50 retails in my local for £8.99

Though was in Portugal before and landed on these bottles, Reguengos Alentejo Doc seriously nice and
Cheaper than Porta.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ziggy90

Got a introductory box of wines from Naked wines the other day, £46 quid for 12 bottles, whites and reds, decent set in fairness.Anywhere else doing the introductory stuff?

Been using Naked Wines for about 18 months now. I just let the £20 a month build up a bit and then get a case. Good enough stuff to be fair. Laithwaites kicked me off their mailing list for 'abuse' of their system.  :D
What's that Portugal Wine one like? How do you get hold of them?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ziggy90 on September 22, 2020, 01:23:30 PM
Got a introductory box of wines from Naked wines the other day, £46 quid for 12 bottles, whites and reds, decent set in fairness.Anywhere else doing the introductory stuff?

Been using Naked Wines for about 18 months now. I just let the £20 a month build up a bit and then get a case. Good enough stuff to be fair. Laithwaites kicked me off their mailing list for 'abuse' of their system.  :D
What's that Portugal Wine one like? How do you get hold of them?

Ziggy
send me a pm with name and email address and I'll get you 5 euro off your first box, but you'll not spend more that £50 quid on a box of 12 regardless of the offer

Huge selection, yes there is a wait on them to be delivered but once one case comes just order another it'll take about 12 days  ;)

ziggy90

Done. I think/hope.
Cheers.