All Ireland Gaelic Football Final 2014 Kerry v Donegal

Started by rrhf, August 31, 2014, 10:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: seafoid on September 21, 2014, 10:58:14 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 21, 2014, 10:41:14 PM
I thought donaghy's brolly thing was more funny than anything else. Wasn't really much in it.
Brolly came back very well with the tyrone angle

Unless you want to come back with a Galway angle maybe it's best you shut up.

drici

Quote from: Minder on March 17, 2008, 08:23:55 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on March 17, 2008, 08:21:45 PM
He is a fair operator minder, but its obvious he isnt top cat. It appears to be beyond his control.

I think we should continue to let the moderators know how we feel about this, without causing trouble or being offensive.

I agree, surely they have some idea of the feeling of unhappiness of many posters that is twofold, of course the harsh treatment meted out to Drici and Hardstation but also that they havent had the common courtesy to back up their actions with an explanantion.

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 21, 2014, 09:59:22 PM

I know you think you're smart, but you're not. You're a bitter little man
with a good line in insulting people you know nothing about. Fair play, you must be very proud of yourself.

So years later it all becomes clear.
Should have said at the time and not -'Oh we are having a meeting later - don't really know until then - oh it's nothing to do with me ......'
Cleared up now anyway.

Wildweasel74

We need a age check on Murphy, he wouldnt look out place on a U-16 team

macdanger2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 21, 2014, 11:34:35 PM
We need a age check on Murphy, he wouldnt look out place on a U-16 team

Ladbrokes are withholding all payouts on today's game until this has been completed

rrhf

Congratulations to the kingdom -  champions again and hard luck to Donegal.

moysider

As a neutral ( strange to be in Croke Park and not clap or open the mouth), it was a proper game.

The early goal may have rocked Donegal but at times they looked well in control but it was also obvious early on that they did not get extra runners up the pitch in support like they usually do.

Máirtín Beag was on about that Donegal maybe peaked in semi in his column. I thought he was spinning but they did look a bit flat. They had the character to keep trying to keep getting runners forward but the legs looked a bit shot. But where they went for broke against the Dubs it would be natural that they were more cautious in a final - even if McGuinness wanted them to take chances.

They showed great character to respond to second goal disaster but Kerry always managed to get a score at crucial times.

Tactically Fitzmaurice nailed it too. Isolating McGrath was brilliant. The defensive set up was top as well.

Strange Croke Park with only the wan colour. Strange dynamic. Donegal fans were disappointed but not the zombies I ve walked with out of Croke Park a few times. They ve been winners and can always be proud of this team.
Well done Kerry and commiserations to Donegal. A lot of stuff said already but it was a privilege to be there for what I thought was an obsorbing contest. And I doubt many AIs have been played in such perfect conditions. 

screenexile

People keep talking about Donegal not playing as well as they did against Dublin...

That's a myth. If Dublin rocked up again today playing the same tactics Donegal would still have beat them. The system stifles teams from playing proper football. However when you play the same system against it the better players generally shine through a la Dublin 2011, Kerry today!!

orangeman

The way I look it is this - Kerry had better teams before and lost. In 2011 I thought they were very hard done by with Joe MC Quillan and getting beat by a last minute Cluxton free kick that seemed to take forever to take. In 2013 they were desperately unlucky to get beaten by a class Dublin side after what was one of the best games of football in recent memory.

Yes, they got a few breaks along the way today but I thought Kerry were deserving winners and many congratulations to them on winning.
After big name retirements and significant injuries, not many saw this Kerry win coming and Kerry celebrated the win today like it was their first.
It wasn't a great spectacle but it was absorbing nonetheless. Hard luck Donegal. Their win against Dublin was one of the biggest upsets in recent sporting history. Well done to Kerry on a famous double.

charlieTully

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 21, 2014, 11:10:19 PM
When games are tight you can always rely on an o'se to stand up as well. Mcfadden was in the pocket.

exactly, so why is McFadden never substituted?? maybe i haven't seen enough donegal games but he always seems to avoid the cull.

Main Street

It wasn't a great game but I suppose we won't hear a word from Spillane about Kerry playing puke football.
For much of the game Donegal reduced it to a dour level but were effective, thing is they were much more effective when they brought the game to Kerry.
That's the bit I don't get about this Donegal team, they have a damn good bunch of footballers who are better at playing football than most, they could have really stood toe to toe with Kerry and come out winners, they just chose not to and instead focussed way too much on a battle of attrition, stopping the other team from penetrating as if they had a big lead to protect. It's a tiresome formula.

sligoman2

Probably the worst game I have ever seen.

Congrats to kerry
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

imtommygunn

Quote from: charlieTully on September 22, 2014, 12:22:56 AM
When games are tight you can always rely on an o'se to stand up as well. Mcfadden was in the pocket.

exactly, so why is McFadden never substituted?? maybe i haven't seen enough donegal games but he always seems to avoid the cull.

I really don't understand either. Even when he got his chance (for a point - not the goal chance) he had a load of space and fluffed it. Should have been off. I guess he was the one likely to get goals which they needed. Nearly did in the end too. Only reason I can see why.

Mikhailov

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 22, 2014, 08:32:59 AM

I really don't understand either. Even when he got his chance (for a point - not the goal chance) he had a load of space and fluffed it. Should have been off. I guess he was the one likely to get goals which they needed. Nearly did in the end too. Only reason I can see why.

This is indeed a strange one but McFadden has had a poor year by his standards but caught fire against Dublin and maybe that was the hope for him yesterday despite the limited chances. However, a few things come to mind;

- he is the brother-in-law of the manager...
- McGuinness has in past times referred to the fact that he is very reluctant to take off key scorers as it affects their confidence. An admirable opinion if it applied to all forwards but it doesn't - he seems to give McBrearty a raw deal.

In addition to this I cant believe that there is not much made out of the last attack that Donegal had - IMO it was a clear footblock on McBrearty as he shot on goal and the ball was deflected to McFadden who palmed it against post. Maybe it has been mentioned  earlier in this thread but I have heard it nowhere else. Spillane would have a field day if this had happened against one of the Kerry lads - sick of him going on about old Kerry values such as kickpassing etc - didn't see much of it yesterday - he couldn't even bring himself to say that they played a 'system' for the entire game. RTE should get rid but of course he is controversial so he will be there for a while yet.

Finally congrats to the Kingdom - I honestly couldn't see Donegal losing but obviously very wrong on that ???

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on September 22, 2014, 12:18:21 AM
In 2011 I thought they were very hard done by with Joe MC Quillan and getting beat by a last minute Cluxton free kick that seemed to take forever to take.

As we've discussed many times though it took less time than Sheehans free around the 62nd minute when he was happy to waste all the time in the world

gander

Quote from: Mikhailov on September 22, 2014, 08:54:31 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 22, 2014, 08:32:59 AM

This is indeed a strange one but McFadden has had a poor year by his standards but caught fire against Dublin and maybe that was the hope for him yesterday despite the limited chances. However, a few things come to mind;

- he is the brother-in-law of the manager...
- McGuinness has in past times referred to the fact that he is very reluctant to take off key scorers as it affects their confidence. An admirable opinion if it applied to all forwards but it doesn't - he seems to give McBrearty a raw deal.

In addition to this I cant believe that there is not much made out of the last attack that Donegal had - IMO it was a clear footblock on McBrearty as he shot on goal and the ball was deflected to McFadden who palmed it against post. Maybe it has been mentioned  earlier in this thread but I have heard it nowhere else. Spillane would have a field day if this had happened against one of the Kerry lads - sick of him going on about old Kerry values such as kickpassing etc - didn't see much of it yesterday - he couldn't even bring himself to say that they played a 'system' for the entire game. RTE should get rid but of course he is controversial so he will be there for a while yet.

Finally congrats to the Kingdom - I honestly couldn't see Donegal losing but obviously very wrong on that ???

it might have been a foot block alright, but I think Murphy was charging at the beginning of the move.